PDA

View Full Version : Material for new White Sox book

Dan H
12-20-2003, 07:35 AM
I am currently talking with a publisher about writing a book on the White Sox that will highlight what will be considered 50 great moments beginning with 1959 to the present. The book will rely heavily on pictures, but will still have plenty of text. This publisher has a list that they call "Images of Baseball." They sent me a book they did on the Cleveland Indians, and it was a very attractive, well written book.

I am asking WSI members to contact me if they have any White Sox pictures they think would be of use. Any picture used will be credited to the source that provides.

Secondly, I would like to use fan accounts of Sox history. So I would like to talk to fans who were at the following games:

First game of the World Series 1959
Title Clinchers of 1983 and 1993
Disco Demoliation
Opening Day at New Comiskey 1991
Last game at Old Comiskey 1990
Bat Day crowd of 55,555 in May 1973
Any game in 1977 - but preferrably the following three examples:
Any of the games in the Sox sweep of Minnesota first week of July
Sox - KC Doubleheader July 31
Lat game of the season

Home Openers of 1978 and 1981
The game when Frank Thomas hit his 400th home run
Sox sweep of Cubs at Wrigley 1999

Thanks in advance for any assistance. My e-mail is wallynn@aol.com.

Brian26
12-20-2003, 09:26 AM
Could be a hell of a book. 50 moments spread over 1959 to 2003 is rougly one moment per year. It would be fun to try to pick a top moment from each year recently...

2003: Maybe the miracle comeback game in July, with the PK and Frank homers.

2002: The comeback win versus the Cubs at Wrigley?

2001: The Caballo grandslam against the Cubs at Comiskey?

2000: The Detroit fight, the Durham hit to score Milkman against the Cubs in extra innings at Comiskey, maybe the Frank double to score Jose for a win in August at home.

1999: The Caruso basket-shot to beat the Cubs at Wrigley.

1998: rough year.

1997: Ventura's comeback game and game winning rbi double?

santo=dorf
12-20-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I am currently talking with a publisher about writing a book on the White Sox that will highlight what will be considered 50 great moments beginning with 1959 to the present. The book will rely heavily on pictures, but will still have plenty of text. This publisher has a list that they call "Images of Baseball." They sent me a book they did on the Cleveland Indians, and it was a very attractive, well written book.

I am asking WSI members to contact me if they have any White Sox pictures they think would be of use. Any picture used will be credited to the source that provides.

Secondly, I would like to use fan accounts of Sox history. So I would like to talk to fans who were at the following games:

First game of the World Series 1959
Title Clinchers of 1983 and 1993
Disco Demoliation
Opening Day at New Comiskey 1991
Last game at Old Comiskey 1990
Bat Day crowd of 55,555 in May 1973
Any game in 1977 - but preferrably the following three examples:
Any of the games in the Sox sweep of Minnesota first week of July
Sox - KC Doubleheader July 31
Lat game of the season

Home Openers of 1978 and 1981
The game when Frank Thomas hit his 400th home run
Sox sweep of Cubs at Wrigley 1999

Thanks in advance for any assistance. My e-mail is wallynn@aol.com.

WOW! Sounds like a great idea to me, and to think I was at three of those (93 Clincher, July 2nd vs. Twins, and opening day in 91.) How about Frank getting his 2,000th hit with a monster homerun? The place was sold out on a Monday and it was on National television. I was sitting in the bleachers for that game and the place was just nuts!

CubKilla
12-20-2003, 11:17 AM
I am currently talking with a publisher about writing a book on the White Sox that will highlight what will be considered 50 great moments beginning with 1959 to the present.

You have your work cut out for you considering the Sox have only won their Division 4 times and made exactly 1 World Series appearance during that time frame. But all the best to you.

Some of the games that I have been too..... recently at least.....

2003-Frank Thomas gets hit #2000 and HR#400

2002-White Sox defeat Jesus at "The Cell" 5-4..... HR's by Thomas and C Lee

2001-C Lee Grand Slam defeats Cubs in 10 innings 7-3. Jose "mocks" ShamME at Wrigley in a White Sox win the same year.

2000-White Sox come from behind to defeat the NY Yankees on a Jose Valentin single in the 9th. The final score was 4-3 I believe.

I've been to many games before and since then. Those are just the recent games that stick out in my memory that I was at.

PaulDrake
12-20-2003, 11:51 AM
This isn't going to help your book any but I'd like to see someone write a White Sox book that addressed the following:

The inner machinations of the family feud that resulted in Chuck Comiskey losing control, ultimately resulting in the sale of the club to Veeck.
Why did Tony Cucinello wave home Sherm Lollar in game 2, killing a rally and shifting the momemtum to the Dodgers?
Why didn't Al Lopez start Billy Pierce at least once in the 59 WS? As per Bill James and others Lopez and Pierce had a personality clash.
Why did the team become unhinged after Ted Kluszewskis homer was called back late in the 60 season?
Why did Floyd Robinson flame out?
Why couldn't the Sox beat the Yanks just one more time in the 64 season?
Why did the promise of the 72 team go unfulfilled? Injuries ruined 73, but did a Santo/Dick Allen feud affect the team in 74?
Was Veeck serious about selling the team to Marvin Davis who wanted to move the team to Denver?
What did Bowie Kuhn say and who did he say it to in late 80. early 81 when Debartolo senior was trying to buy the team?

I have many other questions. Perhaps Lindberg and others already have addressed these matters. I just know that I'm not satisified with what I know about the above and much more about White Sox history.

RKMeibalane
12-20-2003, 11:25 PM
1. Frank Thomas hits home run #400.
2. The Sox sweep Minnesota at the beginning of July.

Nellie Comiskey
12-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Love the idea of the book and since I'm 33 most moments recorded in the book I did not experience. There have been numerous great moments in Sox history, however being a long time Sox fan....great moments have been rare & quick....my generation's experience in following the Sox have more to do with frustration, patience and dissapointment. Truely great moments involve plays that enable you to win championships....something that obviously hasn't occured on the Southside since 1917. I know you want your book to be positive, however to capture the real Sox fan....I believe you need to include both the great and not-so-great moments of the Sox. Unfortunately both the great and not-so-great go hand-in-hand for the Sox. Don't mean to be negative, however I'm a realist.
:cool:

Lip Man 1
12-21-2003, 12:06 AM
Dan:

Check the 2 e-mails I sent you, perhaps they will help you.

Lip

doublem23
12-21-2003, 01:51 AM
This one's a little more obscure and would probably get lost in all that happened in '00, but I would consider the first game home the Sox had after that mythical 7-game road sweep of Cleveland and New York...

Kip Wells on the mound... Can't remember the Indian starter, I'll have to dig my scorecard out of the pile, but the energy in the park that night was fabulous. When the team ran on the field, they were greeted to a standing O from the packed house and I think you just knew everyone was convinced now that that was a special team.

Other obscure highlights from '00:

- Abbott's game winner in the 9th off the Bob Wells of the Twins to snap the teams first mini-skid.
- Home opener against Anaheim where Ray Durham made the sickest catch I've ever seen.
- September 3 vs. Anaheim... Angels scored 8 in the first, Sox plate 9 en route to a 13-12 win. The whole series was crazy, IIRC.
- Jose goes in the stands at Jacobs Field to help the Sox knock off Cleveland.
- Jose's game winning blooper just over the infield against New York.

Man, that was a great year.

munchman33
12-21-2003, 05:55 AM
What about Robin's comeback game where he got the winning hit. That's been my favorite game.

Dan H
12-21-2003, 08:14 AM
I appreciate all the responses. Anyone who feels they have a great memory, feel free to contact me. I cannot use everything but background always helps.

Secondly, I have 50 great moments picked out already. However, a book changes as it is written and I will be open to any suggestions. Also, I may be highlighting one day, but will tie it into others. For example, I will write about Joel Horlen's no-hitter, and then add that the Sox came up with three more shutouts within a week's period after the no-hitter. I write about Dick Allen' s bat day shot in 1972 and then I will talk to Lip because he was there when Allen hit that mammoth homer into the old center field bleachers. The main thing is that I want all decades represented. I can't be too top heavy on one year or set of years.

There is nothing like history. Especially when it is told by fans.
Again my e-mail: wallynn@aol.com.

Also is there anybody out there that was Joel Horlen's 1967 no-hitter? The 1990 Yankees no-hitter against the Sox that the Sox actually won? Even more of a stretch: Anyone at any of the road playoff wins against Baltimore or Toronto?

Thanks again.

Dan Helpingstine

Dan H
12-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
This one's a little more obscure and would probably get lost in all that happened in '00, but I would consider the first game home the Sox had after that mythical 7-game road sweep of Cleveland and New York...

Kip Wells on the mound... Can't remember the Indian starter, I'll have to dig my scorecard out of the pile, but the energy in the park that night was fabulous. When the team ran on the field, they were greeted to a standing O from the packed house and I think you just knew everyone was convinced now that that was a special team.

Other obscure highlights from '00:

- Abbott's game winner in the 9th off the Bob Wells of the Twins to snap the teams first mini-skid.
- Home opener against Anaheim where Ray Durham made the sickest catch I've ever seen.
- September 3 vs. Anaheim... Angels scored 8 in the first, Sox plate 9 en route to a 13-12 win. The whole series was crazy, IIRC.
- Jose goes in the stands at Jacobs Field to help the Sox knock off Cleveland.
- Jose's game winning blooper just over the infield against New York.

Man, that was a great year.

Doubleem,

The seven game sweep is something I am going to include. Since you were at the game when they returned, I really like to have more details of that game. E-mail me or maybe we can arrange to talk. This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

Dan Helpingstine
wallynn@aol.com

TommyJohn
12-22-2003, 12:37 AM
I appreciate all the responses. Anyone who feels they have a great memory, feel free to contact me. I cannot use everything but background always helps.

Secondly, I have 50 great moments picked out already. However, a book changes as it is written and I will be open to any suggestions. Also, I may be highlighting one day, but will tie it into others. For example, I will write about Joel Horlen's no-hitter, and then add that the Sox came up with three more shutouts within a week's period after the no-hitter. I write about Dick Allen' s bat day shot in 1972 and then I will talk to Lip because he was there when Allen hit that mammoth homer into the old center field bleachers. The main thing is that I want all decades represented. I can't be too top heavy on one year or set of years.

There is nothing like history. Especially when it is told by fans.
Again my e-mail: wallynn@aol.com.

Also is there anybody out there that was Joel Horlen's 1967 no-hitter? The 1990 Yankees no-hitter against the Sox that the Sox actually won? Even more of a stretch: Anyone at any of the road playoff wins against Baltimore or Toronto?

Thanks again.

Dan Helpingstine

I was at the Andy Hawkins no-hitter against the White Sox in
1990 and still have the Sun-Times stories from the next day.
I was a ballpark vendor at the time and worked until the 7th
inning, so I didn't see much of the game. However, when I
checked out I stuck around and sat in left field in the anticip-
ation of seeing a no-hitter. I was planning to leave as soon
as the Sox broke it up. I wound up staying for the rest of the
game.

Unfortunately, I have no physical proof that I was at the game.
I never thought to save my work receipt and I wouldn't have a
ticket stub, of course. The only thing that would help me is if
Sportservice keeps records going that far back. I WAS there,
though, Of that I can assure you, even if I can't prove it.

maurice
12-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
I was at the Andy Hawkins no-hitter against the White Sox in
1990 . . . . Unfortunately, I have no physical proof that I was at the game. . . .

I was at the game and have physical proof. :D: It was bat day, commemorating the last year at the old park.

The margin of victory was caused by: (1) Larry Himes' (relatively) speedy lineup, and (2) the Yanks' playing DHs at both corner OF spots and 3B, as well. Here's the rundown of the fateful eighth inning, courtesy of retrosheet.org:

WHITE SOX 8TH: Karkovice popped to Sax; Fletcher popped to Sax; Sosa reached on an error by Blowers (it was the 1-2 pitch); Sosa stole second (it was the 3-2 pitch); Guillen walked; Johnson walked [Sosa to third, Guillen to second]; Ventura reached on an error by Leyritz (it was the first pitch) [Sosa scored (unearned), Guillen scored (unearned) (no RBI), Johnson scored (unearned) (no RBI), Ventura to second]; Calderon reached on an error by Barfield (it was the 1-2 pitch) [Ventura scored (unearned), Calderon to second]; Pasqua popped to Espinoza; 4 R, 0 H, 3 E, 1 LOB. Yankees 0, White Sox 4.

IIRC, both OF errors were lazy fly balls. Complete box score. (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07010CHA1990.htm)

I think others have posted their memories of this game in old threads. Try a search.

wassagstdu
12-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Why start at 1959? 1959 was not a beginning it was an end. The logical starting point would be when Frank Lane was hired as GM ~ 1950 and the Sox began the transition from perennial losers to a string of "first division" finishes (anyone remember when it was a successful season if the Sox finished in the first division?) and finally a pennant (though they did lose the following exhibition series).

Dan H
12-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by wassagstdu
Why start at 1959? 1959 was not a beginning it was an end. The logical starting point would be when Frank Lane was hired as GM ~ 1950 and the Sox began the transition from perennial losers to a string of "first division" finishes (anyone remember when it was a successful season if the Sox finished in the first division?) and finally a pennant (though they did lose the following exhibition series).

1959 is a beginning. It is the beginning of the Post-Comiskey era.

Also in a book like this, there is only so much I will be able to cover. Still, I am going to make it as entertaining as possible.

Baby Fisk
12-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Hi Dan.

Just wanted to say I really liked Through Hope & Despair. I just read it earlier this year. The life of a Sox fan is one of so little hope, and so much despair!

I'd love to see as many different photos of the Sox unies as they evolved through the years as possible in your next book! :)

SoxFanSince67
12-23-2003, 04:48 AM
Should mention be made of those select few who have hit home runs on top of the roof at Old Comiskey? Don't ask me to name them, but it seems like there were only four or five. Frank Howard, I believe was one and another was a young Sox player named Buddy Bradford who played in the early 70's. After his roof top homer he was never the same as he swung for the roof every time out.

white sox bill
12-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Dan,

Some useless info.--I remember in approx 1986 when we were pl;aying Boston, my buddy either lost or had his wallet ripped off @ night game @ Comiskey.

So we stayed until well after game filling out a form and looking thru a few trash bins or whatever. Bill Buckner, ex-cub, was coming out of lockeroom and getting onto team bus. Someone yelled out: "Hey Bill, the cubs lost today!" "Good!" came Buckner's reply. Obviously they parted under bad terms.

Atta boy Bill, keep rippin those flubs!

Dan H
12-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Hi Dan.

Just wanted to say I really liked Through Hope & Despair. I just read it earlier this year. The life of a Sox fan is one of so little hope, and so much despair!

I'd love to see as many different photos of the Sox unies as they evolved through the years as possible in your next book! :)

Thanks for the feedback on Through Hope and Despair. I am very hopeful to have some excellent photos in the book, but that will be a challenge. Still more hopeful than despairing.

To White Sox Fan since 67: There will surely be stuff written about the Roof shots, though I will stick with the Sox players who did the fete including the unfortunate Buddy Bradford.

misty60481
12-25-2003, 07:02 PM
1st post---I think a catcher Tom Egan hit one on roof in 60s I was at game---also maybe some info on why Harry Carey & Jimmy Piersall left annoucers booth, they were a popular pair to everyone but Larusso

Daver
12-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by misty60481
1st post---I think a catcher Tom Egan hit one on roof in 60s I was at game---also maybe some info on why Harry Carey & Jimmy Piersall left annoucers booth, they were a popular pair to everyone but Larusso

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

maurice
12-26-2003, 11:52 AM
There will surely be stuff written about the Roof shots, though I will stick with the Sox players who did the fete including the unfortunate Buddy Bradford.

Though not a Sox player at the time, George Bell merits at least a mention under this category.

Brian26
12-26-2003, 01:18 PM
The best part of the Andy Hawkins game was watching the camera zoom down to Stump Merrill in the Yankees dugout after Leyritz dropped the first flyball to score 3 unearned runs. Stump was staring right back up at the official scorer like the ball should have been a hit instead of an error. Give me a break.

Lip Man 1
12-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Tom Egan was with the Sox in the 70's as a very good back up to Ed Herrmann. He hit his roof shot home run in 1971.

Lip

misty60481
12-26-2003, 09:06 PM
I guess I am forgetful in my old age I remember Egans homer but thought it was earlier--
It would not be a Sox book without some mention of Bob Elson I think he left about 69 or so, I remember when we were kids --no TV -- all we had was Elson, I heard Mrs. Comiskey told him to try make games more exiting Bob said you look out there can you make this team sound exiting.. How about trading Rich Gossage & Terry Forester to Pittsburg for Richie Zisk and then not signing him for more than 1 year---big mistake..should be interesting book