PDA

View Full Version : Mags is screwing the sox

joeynach
12-20-2003, 12:25 AM
Or at least his agent is. THe terms of the contract mags signed with the sox 2 years ago used 2003 or 2004 as renogationating years. That is mags signed the deal to keep him here while managment and his agent worked out a long term deal to wrap him up as our guy for his career. Well what did mags and his wonderful agent do. Take the sox on a $$ roller coaster. The structure of mags deal was 6 then 8 then 9 and now 14 mil a year. Mags agent refused to renegotiate and long term big dollar amount deal with KW, and is using the 14 million as a FA starting point. He is trying to make mags the next pay-rod. Some class. The deal was suppsed to be done last year or this year. But with Mags and company rejecting the july 2003 offer and stating no renegotiating untiul FA is immenent after the 2004 he is going to start the bidding at 14 mil. Sorry but we all know the sox dont play that game. Good bye mags, you messed with us, or let your retard agent mess with us.

mac9001
12-20-2003, 12:28 AM
Umm, the Sox's mostly likely preferred to backload the contract knowing they could have him cheaper for 2 years, than deal him when the big salary season comes up.

Viva Magglio
12-20-2003, 12:32 AM
You're wrong.

CubKilla
12-20-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by mac9001
Umm, the Sox's mostly likely preferred to backload the contract knowing they could have him cheaper for 2 years, than deal him when the big salary season comes up.

Exactly. No one was complaining when Maggs was "underpaid" at the beginning of this contract. But now, some Sox fans and JR are complaining when Maggs makes his money in the '03 and '04 parts of his contract.

Blame the person who saw to it that his contract be structured like it is (JR) and not equal parts salary over 4 or 5 seasons.

MRKARNO
12-20-2003, 01:06 AM
Is that you Jerry Reinsdorf?

jabrch
12-20-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Exactly. No one was complaining when Maggs was "underpaid" at the beginning of this contract. But now, some Sox fans and JR are complaining when Maggs makes his money in the '03 and '04 parts of his contract.

Blame the person who saw to it that his contract be structured like it is (JR) and not equal parts salary over 4 or 5 seasons.

Magglio was not "underpaid". Remember he would not have yet been a FA for those years. Those years were his arbitration years. Players don't get 10mm in arbitration usually.

BKozi
12-20-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Or at least his agent is. THe terms of the contract mags signed with the sox 2 years ago used 2003 or 2004 as renogationating years. That is mags signed the deal to keep him here while managment and his agent worked out a long term deal to wrap him up as our guy for his career. Well what did mags and his wonderful agent do. Take the sox on a $$ roller coaster. The structure of mags deal was 6 then 8 then 9 and now 14 mil a year. Mags agent refused to renegotiate and long term big dollar amount deal with KW, and is using the 14 million as a FA starting point. He is trying to make mags the next pay-rod. Some class. The deal was suppsed to be done last year or this year. But with Mags and company rejecting the july 2003 offer and stating no renegotiating untiul FA is immenent after the 2004 he is going to start the bidding at 14 mil. Sorry but we all know the sox dont play that game. Good bye mags, you messed with us, or let your retard agent mess with us.

That doesn't make any sense. How did his agent "trick" KW into agreeing to this contract? In the big-money baseball world we're in right now, every GM knows that an agent will try to get every penny they can for their client. Why would he just sign with the Sox for 10 million when somebody else would be willing to pay more? If he doesn't have any takers at 14 million (which he will), they would then lower the price. Take economics 101. It's called supply and demand.

joeynach
12-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by BKozi
That doesn't make any sense. How did his agent "trick" KW into agreeing to this contract? In the big-money baseball world we're in right now, every GM knows that an agent will try to get every penny they can for their client. Why would he just sign with the Sox for 10 million when somebody else would be willing to pay more? If he doesn't have any takers at 14 million (which he will), they would then lower the price. Take economics 101. It's called supply and demand.

Becuase his agent cut off the talks. The contract called for talks to be ongoing until an agreement is reached for an extension, but instead mags agent 6 months ago says no talk until he is a FA. That agent bull-crap right there.

BKozi
12-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Becuase his agent cut off the talks. The contract called for talks to be ongoing until an agreement is reached for an extension, but instead mags agent 6 months ago says no talk until he is a FA. That agent bull-crap right there.

I will admit that I haven't seen his contract, but I find this a little hard to believe. If the contract called for talks to be on-going until an agreement is made on an extension, that would mean that Maggs isn't allowed to sign with anybody else and that he has to sign an extension with the Sox. I doubt that would be included in a contract. Perhaps I am wrong, but this doesn't sound correct. If a player or an agent don't want to sign with a team, they aren't going to have contract negotiations with them. Even if they had to, if his agent is calling for 16 million and the Sox are offering 9 million, there's really no reason to have negotiations.

TheRockinMT
12-20-2003, 02:56 PM
I would like to see Magglio stay in Chicago. I think that if we can afford him this year for $14M we have a good chance of signing him long term for somewhere in that ball park and maybe at less than $14M. Look at Sheffield's contract which is in the $13M range with the big spending Yankees. We can get this done if Reinsdorf will pay a decent and fair salary to Magglio and that's what the market will determine after the 2004 season. However, if Magglio chooses to leave you know there are several clubs out there that can and will pay him what he wants.

wassagstdu
12-20-2003, 02:58 PM
Why is anyone a fan of this crap ... I ask myself.

TheRockinMT
12-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by wassagstdu
Why is anyone a fan of this crap ... I ask myself.

Fan of what? Idle speculation? masochistic posts decrying the downfall of the Sox? reports of impending doom? Hoping when there is no hope?

Please explain fellow Sox fan.

wassagstdu
12-20-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
Fan of what?
...Of $14 million "athletes" and $65 box seats; of teams that have "no 'there' there" because they turn over every 3 years; players that force each other to take lethal drugs to compete; owners who would rather "be competitive" than win -- and fans who boo a good player because they think his salary is too high. But, hey, it is all worth it to watch a good shortstop go deep in the hole.

Mountain Man
12-20-2003, 08:12 PM
With the singular exception of Frank (so far) it seems every player leaves the Sox with sour grapes. Remember a few years ago when no one wanted to play for the Bulls? I wonder if the same bum rap is haunting the Sox?

Stuff like the Maggs situation would be the cause. I've always thought that this would be Maggs team after Frank retires. I expected Maggs to be the guy the Sox promoted and built a team around. Perhaps we've hit the point where no superstar or near star stays with the same team for more than 1 contract.

munchman33
12-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Mags if a $10 million a year outfielder. Any more is overpaying him. Many of you will disagree only because he's ours. But there are a handful of better rightfielders out there.

red faber
12-21-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla

this is just purely a case of reinsdork cheaping it out,and not wanting to reward a player,for putting up good numbers.