PDA

View Full Version : What would HARDCORE SOX fans do with the Bartman Ball?

Medford Bobby
12-19-2003, 09:44 PM
OK, so I got bored and post my opinion on the Cubune sports section of what should happen to the Bartman foul ball. I posted my thread as .............'5. Put on display in bullet proof glass case at The Cell so SOX fans can apprciate why we ARE SOX FANS!!!
Submitted by: Medford Bobby
4:59 PM CST, Dec 19, 2003

:smile: .....................Does any one still have that photo of Bartman and the goat, as well as the photo of him lighting the Zepplyn in to flames.......... :angry: funny stuff......... :D:

:gulp: Here's to all us Sox fans who live around the country and can't stop by Puffer's tonight :gulp: :gulp: :cool: :gulp:

mike squires
12-19-2003, 09:50 PM
I'm not a huge collector of items but I do have a nice baseball shrine displayed on 3 rather large shelves above my computer. Even though it was part of a Cub game I would go to Cubs caravan, have Moises Alou sign the damn thing and then as I walk away say, "You just signed the ball you could have caught in the playoffs." I would then proudly display it next to my autographed Nancy Faust ball.

MRKARNO
12-19-2003, 09:59 PM
I would have donated it to Cooperstown. You can bet the folks there would preserve the thing a damn long time

santo=dorf
12-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I would have donated it to Cooperstown. You can bet the folks there would preserve the thing a damn long time

Yoo would just donate it? I would sell it to Cooperstown, and then buy the White Sox!

cubhater
12-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Don't have the pic of the Goat and Bartman, but here are other pics. I'm sure most of us have seen them before. Hope the pics come through. I'm new at posting here.

cubhater
12-19-2003, 10:11 PM
Here are some more.

cubhater
12-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Oops, trying it again

cubhater
12-19-2003, 10:17 PM
One last time!

santo=dorf
12-19-2003, 10:39 PM
They should put these up underneath those foul ball alert signs at the Urinal.

Nellie Comiskey
12-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Ahhh, many useful opportunities:
1. Display at local comedy club
2. save till next season and throw back after Sammy Sosa hits an illegal homerun
3. play catch with Leon Durham
4. rub it for good luck each day(Sox fans prayers were answered)
5. allow a herd of goats to play kick ball
6. the ultimate rainy day "cheer me up/laugh outloud" toy

:D:

Viva Magglio
12-19-2003, 11:42 PM
If I had the "Bartman Ball," I would put it up for online auction again and donate all the proceeds to charity.

ma_deuce
12-20-2003, 02:20 AM
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=687615

This site has almost all of the Bartman pics. However, some of the pics have since been deleted. Worth a look though.

Medford Bobby
12-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the link! Some funny stuff :smile:

ewokpelts
12-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
If I had the "Bartman Ball," I would put it up for online auction again and donate all the proceeds to charity.

i'd sell it, and use the cash to buy sox plait raffle tickets on opening day
Gene

StockdaleForVeep
12-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Well id keep the ball but then again i would never shell that much out for a ball that really ment nothing(like the bill buckner situation, the cubs lost the final game regardless of steve and did not get the outs after the ball in play situation)

I liked what i heard on wgn, one fan said launch it out the fireworks at comisky

But if im gonna be a nasty sox fan, I say we dig up harry carey, stick the ball in his hand and we all yell HOLY COW and laugh while cub fans tremble in horror

Mountain Man
12-20-2003, 05:33 PM
I would ask Steve to toss it out at the next Sox-Cubs game. It is a shame that he isn't getting any of the proceedes from the ball.

And who would have guessed at a Cubs game the ball would have deflected to a lawyer? :D:

Brian26
12-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I'm not a huge collector of items but I do have a nice baseball shrine displayed on 3 rather large shelves above my computer. ....I would then proudly display it next to my autographed Nancy Faust ball.

You sound like you have a similar set-up to me. I've got three shelves above my desk with some balls and bobbleheads. I'll try to add a picture or two here...

Jjav829
12-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Mountain Man
I would ask Steve to toss it out at the next Sox-Cubs game. It is a shame that he isn't getting any of the proceedes from the ball.

And who would have guessed at a Cubs game the ball would have deflected to a lawyer? :D:

LOL.

Welcome Aboard! :D:

Jjav829
12-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
You sound like you have a similar set-up to me. I've got three shelves above my desk with some balls and bobbleheads. I'll try to add a picture or two here...

That's a nice setup you have there. Beats mine - a bunch of drawers with everything thrown in them. :smile:

Just for the hell of it, care to go through what you have up there?

joepoe
12-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Harry Caray's spent big dough on the ball. I think it only fitting that each partner there takes turns shoving it up his or her keister. This is cub stupidity at its lowest and most decadent.

Brian26
12-20-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
That's a nice setup you have there. Beats mine - a bunch of drawers with everything thrown in them. :smile:

Just for the hell of it, care to go through what you have up there?

I picked up the shelf/ledges at Pottery Barn, so that's what makes it look neat. Everything is in an acrylic case, so dust is kept off and the wife thinks it looks classier.

Bottom shelf, from left to right: Silver 2003 All-Star Game commemorative ball, Joe Borchard signed ball, 1991 New Comiskey official ball, Mark Buehrle signed ball, Robin Ventura signed ball, misc signed ball from last year's Soxfest (Don Pall, Kenny Williams, Josh Paul, Darrin Jackson, Jerry Manuel, Ron Kittle, Harold Baines, Jon Garland), Paul Konerko signed ball, 2000 division playoffs commemorative ball, 2003 All-Star Game Official ball, red & black 2003 commemorative all-star ball.

Middle shelf: Konerko 2003 bobble, Maggs 2003 all-star bobble, Joe Crede signed ball, Billy Pierce signed ball, ball caught during bp from Alex Fernandez in 1996, then three bobbles from 2001: Frank, Maggs, PK (all in road unis).

Top Shelf: Maggs 2003 bobble, Frank 2002 bobble, Minnie Minoso bobble, ball caught from Lyle Mouton during bp in '96 and signed by Bill Melton, another ball caught during bp from '98, PK 2003 bobble and finally a Fisk bobble.

red faber
12-21-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Mountain Man

well i work at a bar by wrigley field,so what i would do is,

i would put the ball in a clear plastic case,glue it to the top of one of my sox caps,and just wear it at work all day. every day!!!!!!!!

and i would also be wearing a shirt with blinking lights that say"steve bartman rules" on the front,and more blinking lights on the back that say"i told you fools they'ed choke"

yeah,that would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool!!!!!!!!!!

StockdaleForVeep
12-21-2003, 02:40 AM
How about we have an independant party get a saw and saw the ball in half and see if sammy mighta corked that as well.

"Everything has cork in it, even the cork"

Baby Fisk
12-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ma_deuce
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=687615

This site has almost all of the Bartman pics. However, some of the pics have since been deleted. Worth a look though.
Hilarious link. Flub fans are morons....

joejacksonsshoes
12-22-2003, 12:17 AM
I didn't know exactly where to post this.
But this thread seems appropriate.
This is a parody of "It's a Wonderful Life":
"It's a Wonderful Night: For a Sox Fan"
Here's the link:http://pages.prodigy.net/swifttone/awonderfulnight.html

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

:comiskey Our first Scrooge owner.

mike squires
12-22-2003, 11:10 AM

Nice Brian, I'll be at my father in laws over Christmas. I'll try and get him to put up a pic of mine. If you hve a minute, could you explain how you attach an image? I'm not the best with that kind of stuff.

Brian26
12-22-2003, 02:28 PM
If you hve a minute, could you explain how you attach an image? I'm not the best with that kind of stuff.

It's pretty easy. I think the directions are posted somewhere else on the site that may be more clear than my explanation here (especially since I just got back from my office xmas lunch)...
When you reply to the thread, there's a box under the text message that says "attach file". Just "browse" your computer to wherever you have the photo listed, and click on the appropriate filename. The key is to make sure the photo is small enough to fit on the board. I think photos must be under 1.02 kb, so you probably have to shrink it down to like 400 x 600 pixels.

woodenleg
12-23-2003, 02:37 PM
It should go in a case at THE CELL

miker
12-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by joepoe
Harry Caray's spent big dough on the ball. I think it only fitting that each partner there takes turns shoving it up his or her keister. This is cub stupidity at its lowest and most decadent.

ROTFLMAO :)

Amen! Thanks, I needed to hear that.

jabrch
12-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by joepoe

No joepoe, I gotta disagree with you. This is brilliant marketing and excellent business rolled up in one. Think about all the national publicity they are getting for only 116,000. TV spots on ESPN, MSNBC, Brokaw, Ch 2, 5, 7 and even WGN? They couldn't get that for 116,000 in any way shape or form.

Add in that this is part of a fundraiser for them...

This is a great job by Mr. DePorter and his partners.

** Go to Harry Caray's and order the Chicken Vessuvio or the Porterhouse - Peppercorn Style. Some of the best grub in the city if you can tolerate all of the Cubs stuff on the walls.

soxrme
12-23-2003, 04:14 PM
I would sell the ball to some moron :D: cub fan for $106,000.
Oops somebody did that already :gulp: :gulp:

hsnterprize
12-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
No joepoe, I gotta disagree with you. This is brilliant marketing and excellent business rolled up in one. Think about all the national publicity they are getting for only 116,000. TV spots on ESPN, MSNBC, Brokaw, Ch 2, 5, 7 and even WGN? They couldn't get that for 116,000 in any way shape or form.

Add in that this is part of a fundraiser for them...

This is a great job by Mr. DePorter and his partners.

** Go to Harry Caray's and order the Chicken Vessuvio or the Porterhouse - Peppercorn Style. Some of the best grub in the city if you can tolerate all of the Cubs stuff on the walls. You know...if the Cubs want to use this whole situation to raise some money for some worthwile charities, then I guess it's okay. Although, I must admit this story, as well as the other Cubs-related stuff that happened during their playoff run, is simply OVERKILL!!!!!!! I'm starting to really get sick of this ball story. Bartman has repeatedly said he wants NOTHING to do with this situation...he just wants to get on with his life. The Cubs need to leave him alone, and forget about that stupid ball.

I've seen this DePorter guy on the NBC Today show the other day, and former Chicago-based reporter Lester Holt was basically short of laughing himself silly in his interview. DePorter said the restaurant was going to use this situation to raise money for some charities like the Juveline Diabetes Foundation, and "turn a negative things into a positive situation." In fact, Katie Couric was talking with the NBC 5 reporters earlier that morning, and she had a look on her face that said, "These idiots...they're blaming thier loss in the playoffs on a stupid ball." She obviously didn't say that, and she was respectful and cordial, but you could tell if you looked at her she was about to go off and call someone a complete dolt for talking about that ball.

mike squires
12-24-2003, 12:04 PM
I picked up the shelf/ledges at Pottery Barn, so that's what makes it look neat. Everything is in an acrylic case, so dust is kept off and the wife thinks it looks classier.

Bottom shelf, from left to right: Silver 2003 All-Star Game commemorative ball, Joe Borchard signed ball, 1991 New Comiskey official ball, Mark Buehrle signed ball, Robin Ventura signed ball, misc signed ball from last year's Soxfest (Don Pall, Kenny Williams, Josh Paul, Darrin Jackson, Jerry Manuel, Ron Kittle, Harold Baines, Jon Garland), Paul Konerko signed ball, 2000 division playoffs commemorative ball, 2003 All-Star Game Official ball, red & black 2003 commemorative all-star ball.

Middle shelf: Konerko 2003 bobble, Maggs 2003 all-star bobble, Joe Crede signed ball, Billy Pierce signed ball, ball caught during bp from Alex Fernandez in 1996, then three bobbles from 2001: Frank, Maggs, PK (all in road unis).

Top Shelf: Maggs 2003 bobble, Frank 2002 bobble, Minnie Minoso bobble, ball caught from Lyle Mouton during bp in '96 and signed by Bill Melton, another ball caught during bp from '98, PK 2003 bobble and finally a Fisk bobble.

Hey Brian~I've been trying to e-mail you but I don't think it's going through. Would you happen to have duplicates of the Frank Thomas bobble or the Maggs road jerzey? If so and if you are interested I've got a Jim Thome in his collge uniform and a Mark Grace in his minor league uni both handed out at Peoria Chief games if you want to trade. I can't find the Frank at the ball Park. Must be sold out.

mike squires
12-25-2003, 05:12 PM

Here is a picture of my office wall with White Sox memorabilia.

Brian26
12-25-2003, 09:43 PM
How did you get the Fisk and Minoso bobbles without the Maggs road jersey? They sell that at Grandstand as a 3-pack. I bought mine there last summer.

mike squires
12-26-2003, 12:11 AM
How did you get the Fisk and Minoso bobbles without the Maggs road jersey? They sell that at Grandstand as a 3-pack. I bought mine there last summer.

I bought the Minnoso at the park and received the Fisk at the day of the game promotion. I would rather get my hands on the Frank. I would be interested in the Maggs simply cause I don't have it and would gladly give one of my doubles for it.

I wish they would have a Harold Baines bobble give away (WHy in the world haven't they) Our luck they'll have a Ozzie Guillen for sure.

Brian26
12-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Actually there is a Baines bobblehead floating around. It was handed out to season ticket holders this year. Check Ebay if you want to see what it looks like. He comes in the '83 home uni, and he actually looks pretty cool. On Ebay, though, he goes for $70+ dollars usually.

mike squires
12-27-2003, 09:38 AM
Here is a picture of my office wall with White Sox memorabilia.

Top shelf left to right...Cal Ripken Wheeties box, mini bobble heads, WhiteSox kid bobble head, old 1977 pop corn pin striped megaphone, old fashioned basebally wall plaque, autographed Greg Luzinski SI magazine. More mini bobbles, Mark McgwireWheeties box.

Second shelf~80's style glass, Sox 83' hat, Carlton Fisk autographed Louisville Slugger, media guide, carlton FIsk bobble head. Old Comiskey seat plate with 83' players.

Bottom shelf~Paul Konerko bobble head, Frank Thomas, Magglio and Carlton Fisk autographed balls, Minnie Minnoso autogrpahed mini bat, Magglio bobble, pic of Maggs and my wife, Minnie bobble, pic of my brother, Nancy Faust and I, mini bobbles with autographed ball of Nancy Faust in btween, Frank SI, Harold Baines mini bat, ALbert Pujols minor league bobble, Autographed newspaper article of Ron Kittle, Joe Borchard, 83' team, Harold Bines autographed ball, Jim Thome college bobble.

jordan23ventura
12-27-2003, 12:21 PM
If I had the ball I would threaten to hold the ball in my hand while I break a mirror under a ladder and allow a black cat to cross my path on my way to petting a goat - all in a Sosa jersey. Then, I would take bids on EBAY and sell the ball to the highest bidder. Afterwards I would e-mail the Cub fan who bought the ball and explain to him that superstitions mean nothing, and that he had just bought me a new house and a Hummer in order to hold the thing he most dreads in the palm of his hand. This is the point where I laugh maniacally.

jordan23ventura
12-27-2003, 12:24 PM
.....Little did the fan who bought the ball know that I had done all of the above ANYWAY behind his back, and while having access to the goat I would feed him my Sosa jersey and have him crap in a miniature Wrigley field. Muahahahahahaha!!!!!.......

jordan23ventura
12-27-2003, 01:34 PM
...maybe instead of buying a house and a Hummer I would take the money from the Bartman ball and pay Will Ferrel to play Harry Caray and mock the Cubs 7th inning "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at Comiskey Park during the Cubs/Sox series. Yeah, that would be a bit more enjoyable.