PDA

View Full Version : Latest Williams Comments On 2004

Lip Man 1
12-19-2003, 05:40 PM
This is from Friday's Daily Southtown...

"Williams said it's very likely the Sox will go to spring training with the position players currently on the roster.

That means Paul Konerko will play first base, Willie Harris will get the first look at second, Jose Valentin will be at shortstop and Joe Crede will man third base. The outfield will have Ordonez in right and Carlos Lee in left flanking Aaron Rowand or Joe Borchard in center. The catchers will be Miguel Olivo and Sandy Alomar. Frank Thomas will be the designated hitter.

That may not be the lineup White Sox fans dream of, but Williams was quick to point out it's basically the same one the Sox put on the field last season before the July acquisitions of center fielder Carl Everett and second baseman Roberto Alomar.

"Where we sit right now is not bad ," Williams continued. "We basically have the core in place that we had before we made that push (last July).

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the Sox four or five games under .500 at the time of the deals? Weren't they five or six games behind the Royals?

Maybe Kenny thinks Ozzie will make that big of a difference in the players production, I don't know. As of this post though we know the pitching staff is measurably weaker.

Lip

doublem23
12-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Eh... Kenny says a lot of things... Considering how bad the Twins and Royals and Indians and Tigers are, I can't believe anyone wouldn't be at least halfway upbeat about our chances next year.

If we can find another horse for the rotation, I think we can make a push to be the distinct favorites. Not that that's saying much.

gosox41
12-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

"Williams said it's very likely the Sox will go to spring training with the position players currently on the roster.

That means Paul Konerko will play first base, Willie Harris will get the first look at second, Jose Valentin will be at shortstop and Joe Crede will man third base. The outfield will have Ordonez in right and Carlos Lee in left flanking Aaron Rowand or Joe Borchard in center. The catchers will be Miguel Olivo and Sandy Alomar. Frank Thomas will be the designated hitter.

That may not be the lineup White Sox fans dream of, but Williams was quick to point out it's basically the same one the Sox put on the field last season before the July acquisitions of center fielder Carl Everett and second baseman Roberto Alomar.

"Where we sit right now is not bad ," Williams continued. "We basically have the core in place that we had before we made that push (last July).

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the Sox four or five games under .500 at the time of the deals? Weren't they five or six games behind the Royals?

Maybe Kenny thinks Ozzie will make that big of a difference in the players production, I don't know. As of this post though we know the pitching staff is measurably weaker.

Lip

I hope KW is just saying that as a way to show other teams he is not desperate to trade Ordonez. The last thing he needs to say is how the team needs to unload pitching. Hopefully this is just a negotiating ploy to send a message.

Bob

poorme
12-19-2003, 05:43 PM
This team sucks. I don't know of any other way to put it. KW is either stupid or lying.

dickallen15
12-19-2003, 05:46 PM

Lip

They actually were on a roll when they made those trades. A few days after the trades they went on that horrible Tampa, Cleveland, Detroit road trip.

ssang
12-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Kenny said this just in case he doesn't make any moderate or big-time moves this off-season. He's basically preparing us IF he doesn't do anything. Now Sox fans won't be disappointed or surprised IF the season started with this lineup. I still think he will do something before the season strats regardless of his comments here.

soxfan26
12-19-2003, 06:20 PM
KW seems to have been in trade talks with everyone this offseason and made an offer to nearly every FA pitcher (at least via the rumor mill). I think more than likely he doesn't know what to say!

ChiSoxBobette
12-20-2003, 06:08 AM

Lip
If we're in the race come the All-Star break with this team (the players you mentioned who KW said we'll probably go to spring training with)then JR & KW will probably try and do the same thing they did last year , that is bring in a couple of players who might be enough to win this division if not I see Maggs going, Frank being traded & Jose going to other teams by that time next year.