View Full Version : Ordonez to LA may still have life

E Coast Sox Fan
12-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Playing the waiting game
Red Sox call A-Rod deal 'dead,' but Texas unsure

By Teddy Greenstein
Tribune staff reporter

December 19, 2003, 12:19 AM CST

Jose Valentin's agent resisted the urge to call the White Sox Thursday afternoon to inquire about the fate of his client, which he thought might be tied to the Alex Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez deal.

VC EDIT: Please post links, not stories. It is a violation of Copyright laws to repost entire stories.

E Coast Sox Fan
12-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Here's the key part of the story:

"But while Valentin is slated to return as the Sox's everyday shortstop, Ordonez's near future remains unsettled.

The Dodgers still covet Ordonez and want a big right-handed bat for their lineup.

The fact Garciaparra might not be available any more could push Dodgers general manager Dan Evans to meet the Sox's asking price, believed to be lefty Odalis Perez, reliever Guillermo Mota and at least one top prospect, likely pitchers Edwin Jackson or Greg Miller.

Or perhaps Sox general manager Ken Williams can convince Evans to pursue a smaller-scale deal for either Frank Thomas or Paul Konerko."

Another option may be to offer a combination that would include Valentin and a choice of either Big Frank or Konerko. That way they get two pretty good hitters to help beef up their line-up.

hold2dibber
12-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
Here's the key part of the story:

"But while Valentin is slated to return as the Sox's everyday shortstop, Ordonez's near future remains unsettled.

The Dodgers still covet Ordonez and want a big right-handed bat for their lineup.

The fact Garciaparra might not be available any more could push Dodgers general manager Dan Evans to meet the Sox's asking price, believed to be lefty Odalis Perez, reliever Guillermo Mota and at least one top prospect, likely pitchers Edwin Jackson or Greg Miller.

Or perhaps Sox general manager Ken Williams can convince Evans to pursue a smaller-scale deal for either Frank Thomas or Paul Konerko."

Another option may be to offer a combination that would include Valentin and a choice of either Big Frank or Konerko. That way they get two pretty good hitters to help beef up their line-up.

The Sox can't trade Valentin - he's their only left handed stick and the only player in the entire organization who is anywhere close to an everyday MLB SS.

Frater Perdurabo
12-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The Sox can't trade Valentin - he's their only left handed stick and the only player in the entire organization who is anywhere close to an everyday MLB SS.

Can Valentin be convinced to hit lefty full-time?

I still say dump Konerko for free if that's what it takes to get payroll flexibility, and then try to sign Maggs to an extension for 2005 and beyond.

MRKARNO
12-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

Someone somewhere thinks he's more valuable as a switch hitter but it's obvious he isnt. I could see Ozzie making him a full time lefty.

PaulDrake
12-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

I still say dump Konerko for free if that's what it takes to get payroll flexibility, and then try to sign Maggs to an extension for 2005 and beyond. As Marv Albert would say. Yesss!

hold2dibber
12-19-2003, 05:55 PM
I suppose Jose couldn't be much worse hitting lefty against lefties than he was hitting righty against lefties. I suppose it's worth a shot, but I for one have no confidence that he'd hit lefties better from the left side - presumably, he became a switch hitter in the first place because he had better luck against lefties when he hit right handed.

jamteh
12-21-2003, 08:59 PM
I think he should bat lefty all the time. It's his power side anyway. Even if his average suffers, and I can't see it getting much worse than what it was last year, he might hit 5 or 10 more homers by accident hitting from the left side. Jose hitting righty is a waste of an at-bat.

Tragg
12-21-2003, 10:17 PM
then let's deal with LA directy and screw Boston. Helping boston isn't in our interests anyway.

It's like mlb, or the media, believe the sox are obliged to do their bidding

SoxxoS
12-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by jamteh
I think he should bat lefty all the time. It's his power side anyway. Even if his average suffers, and I can't see it getting much worse than what it was last year, he might hit 5 or 10 more homers by accident hitting from the left side. Jose hitting righty is a waste of an at-bat.

I have been wanting for him to just stick with lefty forever now. His average can only increase. You can't tell me he would hit .200 by hitting lefty against a lefty pitcher.