PDA

View Full Version : Greg Maddox

KingXerxes
12-19-2003, 02:46 PM
I heard about an hour ago on WMVP that Maddux is down to two teams, St. Louis and the Cubs for around $5mm per year.

Has anybody heard anything about this?

FanOf14
12-19-2003, 02:47 PM
Why would he even consider playing for the Cubs? :?:

miker
12-19-2003, 02:47 PM
Please let it be the Cards!

KingXerxes
12-19-2003, 02:48 PM
It's where he started his career.

If this rumor is true - and keep in mind most aren't - he's one hell of a fifth starter.

FanOf14
12-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
It's where he started his career.

If this rumor is true - and keep in mind most aren't - he's one hell of a fifth starter.

lol, I know that. Didn't they screw him around a bit? I swear I read a quote for him saying he would never even consider playing for the Cubs again because of what happened at the beginning of his career...oh well.

voodoochile
12-19-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
lol, I know that. Didn't they screw him around a bit? I swear I read a quote for him saying he would never even consider playing for the Cubs again because of what happened at the beginning of his career...oh well.

No, actually, the flubbies had a higher offer on the table than Atlanta, but Maddux wanted to play for a winner.

raul12
12-19-2003, 02:51 PM
I firmly believe Maddox will be a Yank-me. I just can't believe he's even considering the Cubs, but then again, the reason he left is he was convinced they weren't trying to win. Their recent signings would lead one to believe that maybe that's changed.

Lord help us all....

KingXerxes
12-19-2003, 02:51 PM
If I remember correctly - he left the Cubs even after they offered him more more than Atlanta because he never thought they would seriously try to win anything. I don't think he was bitter about anything and even if he was, these guys are such mercenaries that they never let a grudge get in the way of themselves and a couple of million bucks.

MRKARNO
12-19-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
If I remember correctly - he left the Cubs even after they offered him more more than Atlanta because he never thought they would seriously try to win anything. I don't think he was bitter about anything and even if he was, these guys are such mercenaries that they never let a grudge get in the way of themselves and a couple of million bucks.

Well he certainly was right about Atlanta winning. They won a series and didnt lose the division while he was there.

Let's hope he realizes that he would be lost in Chicago as the 4th or 5th starter and would be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th in St. Louis

hold2dibber
12-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Every day brings more joyous news for us Sox fans this offseason!

I am not looking forward to the fawning and praises that will heaped upon the Cubs should this happen.

At the end of last season, despite their run in the playoffs, it was apparent to me that the Cubs had a long way to go before they could be considered contenders for '04. Except for re-signing Grudzlianchzniaonik to play 2B, they've done just about everything right this offseason.

Can't exactly same the same for the Sox.

DrCrawdad
12-19-2003, 04:57 PM
If the Cubbies sign Maddux, it will be the biggest and best signing ever.

If the Sox were to sign Maddux, it will be questioned by the media and Sox fans alike.

CubKilla
12-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

If the Sox were to sign Maddux, it will be questioned by the media and Sox fans alike.

If the Cubs sign Maddux, you can stick a fork in the White Sox as far as the casual baseball fan is concerned. The media will have a field-day if Maddux returns to Chicago's NorthSide.

dickallen15
12-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Maybe the Sox shouldn't even bother fielding a team this year. The Sox are a few moves away from being the favorites to win their division. Read this board and you think they are the Detroit Tigers. Its not even Christmas yet people. The season doesn't start until April

Lip Man 1
12-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Dick:

I think the impression among mahy fans is that the Cubs are destined for bigger things. Even if the Sox win the weakest division in baseball it'll be three and out (again) in the first round of the playoffs. The only news to come out of that scenario would be that the Sox would tie the all time record for most consecutive home postseason losses (10) held by the Phillies.

Lip

dickallen15
12-19-2003, 05:22 PM
The Cubs had the worst record of all playoff teams last year. They won 3 more games than the White Sox. They lost 4 out of 6 to the White Sox. They sign LaTroy Hawkins, who is coming home and very easily could get lit up.Derrick Lee was a great trade, but remember Karros had a lot of huge hits for them. Their young pitchers pitched their butts off, and a lot of innings, and it may start to show next year. Hollinsworth doesn't impress me. How can anyone say that if the Sox won their division they would be swept out of the first round, when you don't even know what the team will be like? Did you know Loaisa would win 21 games last December 19th? He wasn't even signed. There's a reason Maddux's salary demands are dropping like a whore on dollar day, he is getting old. He gave up a lot of hits last year, and chances are that trend will continue.

joecrede
12-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Dick:

I think the impression among mahy fans is that the Cubs are destined for bigger things. Even if the Sox win the weakest division in baseball it'll be three and out (again) in the first round of the playoffs. The only news to come out of that scenario would be that the Sox would tie the all time record for most consecutive home postseason losses (10) held by the Phillies.

Lip

Lip,

In a short series anything can happen.

A lot of people thought the Marlins had no chance against the Cubs because of the Cubs superior pitching depth.

Yep, the Cubs going to the World Series last year was supposed to be the the death knell to the Sox in Chicago.

hold2dibber
12-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Maybe the Sox shouldn't even bother fielding a team this year. The Sox are a few moves away from being the favorites to win their division. Read this board and you think they are the Detroit Tigers. Its not even Christmas yet people. The season doesn't start until April

2B Harris
LF Lee
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
DH Konerko
SS Valentin
3B Crede
CF Rowand
C Olivo

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
Rauch
Cotts

Wunsch
Marte
Ginter
Atkins
Koch
Wright
Pachecho (sp?)

S. Alomar
Gload
Uribe
Unknown 4th Outfielder

That's the current team. That's not a good team. That's an 80 win team. They're several moves away from being a divisional favorite. At the very least, they need a really good starter, a really good reliever, and someone who can get on base at a reasonable clip at the top of the lineup. Oh, and they need to add all those pieces while at the same time REDUCING payroll by about $5 million more dollars to get within JR's budget. It does not look good.

dickallen15
12-19-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
2B Harris
LF Lee
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
DH Konerko
SS Valentin
3B Crede
CF Rowand
C Olivo

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
Rauch
Cotts

Wunsch
Marte
Ginter
Atkins
Koch
Wright
Pachecho (sp?)

S. Alomar
Gload
Uribe
Unknown 4th Outfielder

That's the current team. That's not a good team. That's an 80 win team. They're several moves away from being a divisional favorite. At the very least, they need a really good starter, a really good reliever, and someone who can get on base at a reasonable clip at the top of the lineup. Oh, and they need to add all those pieces while at the same time REDUCING payroll by about $5 million more dollars to get within JR's budget. It does not look good.

The season starts in 3 1/2 months. The roster will be a lot different than what you have posted.

hose
12-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

LOL!!!

I just called my best friend who happens to be a cub fan and told him to get ready for the World Series .

Seriously though if the cubs do add Maddux to their staff I think they would be odds on favorites by Las Vegas to win the NL pennant.

Does Steve Bartman have a brother? :D:

poorme
12-19-2003, 05:34 PM
The season starts in 3 1/2 months. The roster will be a lot different than what you have posted.

I don't think the roster will look A LOT different at all.

soxwon
12-19-2003, 06:10 PM
lipman- the cubs could field an allstar team and still not be in the series.
it was proven last year they are cursed and will NEVER be in the series.
the goat man the goat
besides they cant beat US, we beat em every year.
they will never be in the series, and thats the final word

MRKARNO
12-19-2003, 06:10 PM
The Cubs will probably sign Maddux and the Sox will find some minor leaguer named Maddox to trade for or to sign to say that we got Maddox

hold2dibber
12-20-2003, 12:53 AM

I certainly hope you're right, but I don't see how you can be so sure. The Sox are OVER payroll right now. They can't add without subtracting some payroll. I have a hard time conceiving of a feasible plan for reducing payroll that makes the team better. The Maggs/Nomar/LA pitchers deal was the best we could have hoped for, and that's in the crapper.

doogiec
12-20-2003, 08:39 AM
While it is possible the Cubs could be pursuing Maddux, it appears to me that the Cubs have a full time employee who has done nothing the last couple years except float false trade and free agent possibilities to get Cub fans excited. Based on the last couple years of published rumors, here's what the Cubs would field:

Same outfield, Sosa, Alou, and Patterson

Infield: Jim Thome 1b, Jeff Kent 2b, Alex Rodriguez SS, Mike Lowell 3b, Ivan Rodriguez C.

Starting Pitching: Wood, Prior, Maddux, Hampton, Glavine.

Pretty good team, huh?

While the Sox operate under a permanent cone of silence, the Cubs use trade/free agent rumors to fuel ticket sales.

Blueprint1
12-20-2003, 09:00 AM
Yeah its true they always seem to be going to get the best guy out there. Yet its few and far between until this year that they get anyone.

StockdaleForVeep
12-20-2003, 03:16 PM
10 bucks as to what all the cub sided papers(all of them) will headline

"WELCOME HOME!" after maddux gets signed

ewokpelts
12-20-2003, 03:36 PM
it's maddUx...not maddox