PDA

View Full Version : If A-Rod to Boston/Manny to Texas could get done...


MRKARNO
12-19-2003, 02:38 PM
If "The Deal" could get done and we'd still send maggs away for Nomar, would you still want it to happen?


I really dont mind if manny and a-rod are swapped but I want kenny to stay out of it. If we're gonna trade Maggs, this is not the way to do it IMHO.

soxfan26
12-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
If "The Deal" could get done and we'd still send maggs away for Nomar, would you still want it to happen?


I really dont mind if manny and a-rod are swapped but I want kenny to stay out of it. If we're gonna trade Maggs, this is not the way to do it IMHO.

I don't want to trade Maggs either. But is the answer waiting for Maggs to feel like talking about a new contract and then not be able to afford him at $13-15m a season? After the contract that Sheff signed this month you would have to expect Maggs to ask for that kind of money.

I voted don't trade Maggs. But it seems like the Sox might be forced to make a move just for "damage control"

MRKARNO
12-19-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm not against the idea of trading Maggs, but I dont think this is the best way to do it. Although making him the third biggest name in a deal might be a way that they could do it without huge criticism, getting involved in a huge deal is not the way to do it unless they are getting a good starter and the better half of a bullpen.

MRKARNO
12-19-2003, 03:03 PM
I probably made a mistake by saying Mota and a top dodger pitching prospect because they were never offering that. It's clear that one should run away, but what if it were just Perez and Mota?

hold2dibber
12-19-2003, 05:02 PM
Intellectually, I feel strongly that if the Sox are indeed going to have a payroll at or about $60 million, they cannot win if they have to pay 1/4 of it to Maggs. And I think if they could trade him and wind up with a solid starter (Perez) and two ace relievers (Mota and Williamson) )(and maybe even another prospect), plus reducing payroll by about $5 million, that's about as good as we can possibly hope for. So I voted in favor of that trade.

But I did so with a heavy heart (not to be too melodramatic). Not only am I a huge Magglio fan, but explaining such a trade to my 8 year old who is an absolute Magglio fanatic would be a bummer. It would be less tough if the Sox were to keep Nomar (who my 8 year knows of) than it would be if they end up with a gaggle of Dodger pitchers he's never heard of.

hold2dibber
12-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I probably made a mistake by saying Mota and a top dodger pitching prospect because they were never offering that. It's clear that one should run away, but what if it were just Perez and Mota?

Just Perez and Mota wouldn't be enough (although Perez, Mota and Williamson would be).

MRKARNO
12-19-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Just Perez and Mota wouldn't be enough (although Perez, Mota and Williamson would be).

The problem is that the Dodgers havent really offered anything but Perez and a mid-level prospect