PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Arbitration

Brian26
12-19-2003, 01:50 PM
Wouldn't it be great if a team could take a player to "reverse arbitration" if they felt he wasn't producing according to the amount of money he was contracted to?

fuzzy_patters
12-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Wouldn't it be great if a team could take a player to "reverse arbitration" if they felt he wasn't producing according to the amount of money he was contracted to?

Jerry Reinsdorf, is that you? :)

TheRockinMT
12-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Whether or not it's JR in disguise I think this is exactly right. You pay millions for a player to produce and if they don't deliver the services you paid for then they should give some back. It is only fair in my opinion.

miker
12-19-2003, 02:15 PM

I have a feeling the MLBPA would have a problem with that...caveat emptor.

fuzzy_patters
12-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
Whether or not it's JR in disguise I think this is exactly right. You pay millions for a player to produce and if they don't deliver the services you paid for then they should give some back. It is only fair in my opinion.

If that happened, the number of players on the disabled list would multiply drasticaly. If a player were to try and play through pain, some cheapskate owner, like Jerry Reinsdorf, would ask for arbitration for their diminished statistics. To prevent this, players would have to set out everytime they have a minor ache or pain. They would not be able to risk hurting their numbers.

Furthermore, no players would ever want to hit behind the runner, and no pitchers would ever want to throw a pitchout or intentional walk. The hitter would not be able to afford giving up points on his average, and the pitcher would not be able to afford giving up walks. The loss of those statistics would hurt them in reverse arbitration, so they would no longer have incentive to do the little things to win.

thepaulbowski
12-19-2003, 02:30 PM

So, you mean if baseball was like the real world. Nice.

maurice
12-19-2003, 03:35 PM
That would be dumb. A MLB player can't take a team to arbitration if he feels that he produced more than the amount of money he was contracted to. Players with contracts can't take a team to arbitration at all. They have to live with the contract they signed, just like in the real world.

If you're interested in fairness or making baseball like the real world, you should argue against the draft and the six-year waiting period for free agency.

LuvSox
12-19-2003, 03:36 PM
:walnuts
Poster Child