PDA

View Full Version : $150 mil and going up

Paulwny
12-19-2003, 10:15 AM
From the AP:
The moves leave the Yankees payroll at about $150 million for 20 signed players. That doesn't include left-hander David Wells, outfielder Kenny Lofton and infielder Miguel Cairo, whose contracts have not been finalized, and four players eligible for salary arbitration: Vazquez, second baseman Alfonso Soriano, and outfielders David Dellucci and Karim Garcia.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bba-yankees-vazquez,0,2595503.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

ssang
12-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Yup, baseball is a real fair sport! Honestly, this league is a friggin' joke. The fact that the same 5 or 6 teams (with the Yanks and Bo Sox on another platuaeu) are the only ones who each and every single season sign players and keep a high payroll, makes baseball a frustrating and unfair sport. I think I'm finally at the point where I have t to throw up my arms and give up hope on the White Sox being a consistent contender. Jerry Reinsdorf is a cheap-ass SOB and I hate him. Put it this way...I wouldn't exactly be in mourning if JR suddenly keeled over and died. We need change on the South Side. Or at least we need some sort order in this league. This entire friggin' sport is out of control!! Basbeall sucks.

Frater Perdurabo
12-19-2003, 11:01 AM
If it meant a new CBA with a NFL-style salary cap (and a salary floor!), thus ensuring true competitive balance as an end result, I would not mind if baseball had a nuclear winter and shut down for one or two full seasons. It is out of control on BOTH sides (owners and players), and the fact that we have a cheap owner (while five or six other teams have seemingly limitless payroll) only makes it worse.

I am loyal the the team and the colors. I am not loyal to the players, the home stadium, the management or the ownership.

True competitive balance would see a return of two viable and competitive MLB teams in Chicago.

ssang
12-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
If it meant a new CBA with a NFL-style salary cap (and a salary floor!), thus ensuring true competitive balance as an end result, I would not mind if baseball had a nuclear winter and shut down for one or two full seasons. It is out of control on BOTH sides (owners and players), and the fact that we have a cheap owner (while five or six other teams have seemingly limitless payroll) only makes it worse.

I am loyal the the team and the colors. I am not loyal to the players, the home stadium, the management or the ownership.

True competitive balance would see a return of two viable and competitive MLB teams in Chicago.

I agree with you 100%. Basball could learn a thing or two from the NFL. And if it meant shutting down the sport for a year or two....FINE BY ME! The greedy SOB players and owners deserve it anyways. I also agree that my loyalty lies with the White Sox TEAM (not the players, not the stadium, and certainly NOT the management!)

FanOf14
12-19-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ssang
I agree with you 100%. Basball could learn a thing or two from the NFL. And if it meant shutting down the sport for a year or two....FINE BY ME! The greedy SOB players and owners deserve it anyways. I also agree that my loyalty lies with the White Sox TEAM (not the players, not the stadium, and certainly NOT the management!)

I agree as well.

miker
12-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I am not loyal to the players, the home stadium, the management or the ownership.

It could be convincingly argued that they are not loyal to you either...

JasonC23
12-19-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by ssang
Yup, baseball is a real fair sport! Honestly, this league is a friggin' joke. The fact that the same 5 or 6 teams (with the Yanks and Bo Sox on another platuaeu) are the only ones who each and every single season sign players and keep a high payroll, makes baseball a frustrating and unfair sport.

Thank goodness the 2002 Angels and 2003 Marlins didn't tagree with this. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
12-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by miker
It could be convincingly argued that they are not loyal to you either...

So it is mutual. So much the better. No guilt!