PDA

View Full Version : i dont know what to make of this but...

habibharu
12-19-2003, 08:08 AM
phil rogers was on sportscentral yesterday with kaplan and waddle and he said that call him crazy but he still expects the deal to get done and in the end expects to have mota,perez,jackson and/or miller

Kilroy
12-19-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by habibharu
phil rogers was on sportscentral yesterday with kaplan and waddle and he said that call him crazy but he still expects the deal to get done and in the end expects to have mota,perez,jackson and/or miller

The bottom line is that they can trade w/ out re-doing A-Rods deal in advance, and get that done after. It's just a strange thing that the players union, within their rights, vetoed the deal that A-Rod was fine with. Where was the players union when Frank Thomas re-did his deal w/ JR? Frank looks to have given up some cash in that transaction, but there was no union intervention there.

FanOf14
12-19-2003, 08:30 AM
I thought Frank's was re-structured due to 'the clause' (not the Santa Clause!) and when it was restructrured, didn't he actually end up with better? Eh, I can't remember the details, but I thought it has something to do with the above line of thought... :?:

dickallen15
12-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Frank had a clause in his old contract where he became a free agent. During this window of free agency is when his present contract was agreed to. Therefore, it was not a restructuring. The players association most likely would have approved his contract anyway, because he was getting more money upfront, which would be considered a benefit.

Kilroy
12-19-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I thought Frank's was re-structured due to 'the clause' (not the Santa Clause!) and when it was restructrured, didn't he actually end up with better? Eh, I can't remember the details, but I thought it has something to do with the above line of thought... :?:

As I remember it before the deal was re-done, Frank was guaranteed 40 mil no matter what, even tho JR could defer a lot of it for and undisclosed time period if he chose to. After they re-did the deal, Frank was guaranteed a minimum of 26 mil, max of 37 I want to say, but nothing deferred. Correct me if I am wrong please.

But how is that better? Thomas lost guranteed money in the deal. If Thomas excercises all his options he'll get 19 mil, + 10 mil in the last year if the Sox don't buy him out that year for 3.5 mil. So minimum 22.5 mil, max 29 mil on his options. If the Sox excercise their options, that would be more, but still less thant he 40 he was due. And I seem to remember some talk around here about the deferrals only being allowed to be for max of 2 years, so again, where was the players union at when Frank was getting robbed?

Kilroy
12-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Frank had a clause in his old contract where he became a free agent. During this window of free agency is when his present contract was agreed to. Therefore, it was not a restructuring. The players association most likely would have approved his contract anyway, because he was getting more money upfront, which would be considered a benefit.

I don't recall Frank ever filing for free agency. I know there was a 45 day window where he could, but if he didn't, Thomas' previous contract was still in effect, and as such, they had to tear it up to do the new deal.

Dadawg_77
12-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
As I remember it before the deal was re-done, Frank was guaranteed 40 mil no matter what, even tho JR could defer a lot of it for and undisclosed time period if he chose to. After they re-did the deal, Frank was guaranteed a minimum of 26 mil, max of 37 I want to say, but nothing deferred. Correct me if I am wrong please.

But how is that better? Thomas lost guranteed money in the deal. If Thomas excercises all his options he'll get 19 mil, + 10 mil in the last year if the Sox don't buy him out that year for 3.5 mil. So minimum 22.5 mil, max 29 mil on his options. If the Sox excercise their options, that would be more, but still less thant he 40 he was due. And I seem to remember some talk around here about the deferrals only being allowed to be for max of 2 years, so again, where was the players union at when Frank was getting robbed?

I believe the 2 year window came in the new CBA, which wouldn't effect Frank's contract. The difference would be the NPV value of the guaranteed money.