PDA

View Full Version : Something's Gotta Give

MisterB
12-19-2003, 02:03 AM
I've done some number crunching about the Sox payroll and found something disturbing. If you take the 9 players who have a set salary for next year (Ordonez, Konerko, Koch, Thomas, Valentin, Loaiza, Buehrle, Garland and Alomar) and add in the minimum possible salary for the other 10 players who are currently left on the ML roster (league minimum for those not yet arbitration eligible, and the maximum 20% reduction for those who are) the Sox payroll for next year currently stands at a hair over $58 million. In other words if JR's self-imposed salary cap is to be met, the Sox can't even keep all of the 19 players it currently has from the ML roster. This leads me to believe that come Saturday if Kenny doesn't have any serious deals in the works for moving at least 2 of the Sox' higher salary players, that Lee, Marte and Schoeneweis could all be non-tendered. Shoney may be no big loss, but both Lee and Marte stand to get significant raises through arbitration, and as of now the Sox can't even pay them without going over budget. So despite what KW says about standing pat this winter, the fact is he can't. He MUST deal at least one of either Ordonez, Konerko, Koch, Thomas, or Valentin (and possibly even Loaiza), or else he basically can't field a team for 2004. This is bad, folks. :(:

Man Soo Lee
12-19-2003, 02:15 AM
Marte doesn't have enough service time to be arbitration eligible.

Lee, Wunsch, and Schoeneweis are the only potential arbitration cases. I think Schoeneweis has to be non-tendered, because he shouldn't start and you can't pay your third-best lefty reliever $1.5 million.

TommyJohn
12-19-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
I've done some number crunching about the Sox payroll and found something disturbing. If you take the 9 players who have a set salary for next year (Ordonez, Konerko, Koch, Thomas, Valentin, Loaiza, Buehrle, Garland and Alomar) and add in the minimum possible salary for the other 10 players who are currently left on the ML roster (league minimum for those not yet arbitration eligible, and the maximum 20% reduction for those who are) the Sox payroll for next year currently stands at a hair over $58 million. In other words if JR's self-imposed salary cap is to be met, the Sox can't even keep all of the 19 players it currently has from the ML roster. This leads me to believe that come Saturday if Kenny doesn't have any serious deals in the works for moving at least 2 of the Sox' higher salary players, that Lee, Marte and Schoeneweis could all be non-tendered. Shoney may be no big loss, but both Lee and Marte stand to get significant raises through arbitration, and as of now the Sox can't even pay them without going over budget. So despite what KW says about standing pat this winter, the fact is he can't. He MUST deal at least one of either Ordonez, Konerko, Koch, Thomas, or Valentin (and possibly even Loaiza), or else he basically can't field a team for 2004. This is bad, folks. :(:

I saw this thread title and thought I was going to read
something about Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton.

inta
12-19-2003, 05:06 AM
this wouldnt be a problem if JR pumped the payroll up. hell we wouldve been able to keep some of our vets from last year even!

instead we're getting outspent by small market teams like boston, baltimore and montreal.

watch the northside if you want to see real baseball next year.

hold2dibber
12-19-2003, 07:54 AM
This is what I've been saying for weeks. The team as currently constituted is an 80 win team. And KW still has to trim more payroll. This is yet another reason why if the Nomar trade goes through, KW has to trade Nomar for cheaper players (e.g., the LA pitchers). There is one solution and only one solution: raise the payroll, Jerry!

Paulwny
12-19-2003, 09:58 AM
KW still has the option of trading players at the break and lowering the payroll for the 2nd half of the season and have the final payroll ave out to ~ $55mil.

voodoochile
12-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Something has to give? It already has. The Sox have given up on winning the pennant this coming season.

Starting with that constraint, the payroll and lack of movement falls right into line...

Irishlawyer
12-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by inta
this wouldnt be a problem if JR pumped the payroll up. hell we wouldve been able to keep some of our vets from last year even!

This is why KW will deal Mags regardless of A-Rod/Nomar.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=288012

(VC EDIT: Once an image has been uploaded to the database, all you need to do is use the IMG tags to make it appear in your post. Quote this post to see an example.)

anewman35
12-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by inta

instead we're getting outspent by small market teams like boston, baltimore and montreal.

Boston is not a small market, Baltimore has mismanaged their big budget so horribly in the past that I'd personally rather have the Sox with their smaller budget, and Montreal's payroll is even smaller than ours.