PDA

View Full Version : What a sad organization

RedPinStripes
12-18-2003, 10:49 PM
The Texas Rangers. I cannot belive they have to unload A-Rod after finishing last for how many years now? They have first access at the top prospects in the country and around the world. I thought John Hart was the mastermind behind the 90's Indians? He sure dont seem to live up to his potential in Texas. You have the best player in baseball on your team, you finish last for at least the last 3 years and you dont have a stock pile of developing players to put around A-Rod coming this year or at least knowing they'll be ready next year? Something is very wrong here. I think Hicks needs to take a good look at his GM and scouting staff, but first he needs to look in the mirror.

3 idiots and 1 severe ******* are involved here. Hicks: letting Boras take him for a ride and now crying broke; Making terrible decisions with a team that should have been rebuilt by now.

A-Rod ; Gets what he deserves for turning down 18 mill a year from seattle for 7 years or whatever it was. Greedy prick deserves to be on a loser for that.

John Hart; Has lost his touch obviously. I still cant figure out why he cant find young talent to put around A-Rod while teams like the Sox, Indians, and Royals have rebuilt since the A-Rod deal and have more to show for it. The Sox have not had a real good draft position since the late 80's and look at the farm they have even after KW traded much of it away.

Scot Boras; Do i need to explain about this guy?

jordan23ventura
12-18-2003, 11:03 PM
Texas has a few promising young players now. It's funny because if they unload Arod I can see them regretting it two to three years from now when they have Ramirez who not even Boston will want.

CubKilla
12-18-2003, 11:09 PM
By the title of your thread RPS, I thought you'd be talking about the Sox and not the Rangers. But PayRod, Hicks, and Co. made their beds. Now they have to sleep in it. To hell with all of them.

RedPinStripes
12-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
By the title of your thread RPS, I thought you'd be talking about the Sox and not the Rangers. But PayRod, Hicks, and Co. made their beds. Now they have to sleep in it. To hell with all of them.

I know. I thought it out that way. Piss off the Pro-Jerry posters. :)

Lip Man 1
12-18-2003, 11:29 PM
Red:

I haven't looked this up so I may be wrong but haven't the "sad sack" Rangers made the playoffs more in the past ten years then the Sox?

If true what does that make us? LOL

Lip

RedPinStripes
12-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Red:

I haven't looked this up so I may be wrong but haven't the "sad sack" Rangers made the playoffs more in the past ten years then the Sox?

Lip

I'm not sure on it either. Off hand i only remember 1 time. Around 97 or something like that.

Belive me, i think the Sox organization sucks too, but just imagine how much better this team would have been if A-Rod was playing SS for us. I think there's more young talent on this team then Texas has.

voodoochile
12-19-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'm not sure on it either. Off hand i only remember 1 time. Around 97 or something like that.

Belive me, i think the Sox organization sucks too, but just imagine how much better this team would have been if A-Rod was playing SS for us. I think there's more young talent on this team then Texas has.

Rangers made the playoffs in 1996, 1998 and 1999.

RedPinStripes
12-19-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Rangers made the playoffs in 1996, 1998 and 1999.

That would explain why i dont remember. I was on a baseball strike from 95- 98. :smile:

FanOf14
12-19-2003, 08:31 AM
I know. I thought it out that way. Piss off the Pro-Jerry posters. :)

There are such posters?! lol

Dadawg_77
12-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Why hate on A Rod for getting what he could?

John Hart is the source of the Rangers troubles, not A Rod's contract. Who signed Chan Ho Park? The Rangers have made disastrous moves and A Rod isn't one of them. If you look at the Rangers when A Rod signed with them, they were a very strong club, who fell apart for various reasons. He didn't signed with a horrible team that didn't have a chance to win, but with one that he could help propel to victory.

bobj4400
12-19-2003, 09:25 AM
A-Rod ; Gets what he deserves for turning down 18 mill a year from seattle for 7 years or whatever it was. Greedy prick deserves to be on a loser for that.

I used to like ARod...no I am glad this trade didnt go thru. I hope he is stuck on the Rangers for the entire term of his contract and they finish last every year.

Paulwny
12-19-2003, 09:45 AM
I saw Hicks on CNBC following the A-Rod signing. When asked about the huge some of money his reply, NOT EXACT WORDS, My accounts have told me that with this signing we'll see a huge spike in attendance and with the increase in tv revenue we should expect to see a $5mil increse in profit.
He needs to hire JR's accountants.

Irishlawyer
12-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla

I could have sworn the same. The lack of killer instinct of those most high up in this franchise and the penny pinching make us the sad sacks of the league. At least Texas spent the money... they just got caught at the top of the "bubble". The Sox are like the miser with money under the bed.

CubKilla
12-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
There are such posters?! lol

I think a few of them are actually JR under different SN's. It's true..... it's true.

RedPinStripes
12-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Why hate on A Rod for getting what he could?

John Hart is the source of the Rangers troubles, not A Rod's contract. Who signed Chan Ho Park? The Rangers have made disastrous moves and A Rod isn't one of them. If you look at the Rangers when A Rod signed with them, they were a very strong club, who fell apart for various reasons. He didn't signed with a horrible team that didn't have a chance to win, but with one that he could help propel to victory.

I still envy the bastard more then anyone in the world. I thought he was headed for bad times when he rejected the big deal Seattle offered. Hicks is the real idiot here and Jon Hart is right next to him. Unless Hicks is going to go bankrupt over this, i cant see why he wants to ship a-rod out. A few bad years gives him great draft picks, but you also need scouts and a GM who can find the talent. When you have a guy like A-Rod on your team, you're not as far away from competing as many other teams.

doublem23
12-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Red:

Lip

Eh, I think he's talking about currently, but the Sox could have won the AL West a handful of times in the late-90s when we were busy chasing down the Tribe in their peak. The AL West was a real sack of **** then. I think in '94 at the time of the strike, not one team in the brand-new AL West was above .500. Winning that division wasn't any real challenge, much like winning this division now.

Mountain Man
12-20-2003, 07:17 PM
A-Rod signed a huge contract and worked harder afterwards. How many people that are dogging Alex are also the ones to jump on a guy who signs a big contract and then goes down the tube?

How many of us, when we took our jobs, would have liked to sign a 6 year contract? How many who rip on A-rod also have left companies who gave them more money to come work for them?

StepsInSC
12-20-2003, 08:50 PM
I'm inclined to believe that anyone who says they wouldn't have made the same choice as ARod is lying through their teeth. Therefore while I agree with part of your post, I can't see how anyone can fault ARod for being greedy because he didnt do anything underhanded to get that money.

It was such a significantly larger sum....

RKMeibalane
12-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Eh, I think he's talking about currently, but the Sox could have won the AL West a handful of times in the late-90s when we were busy chasing down the Tribe in their peak. The AL West was a real sack of **** then. I think in '94 at the time of the strike, not one team in the brand-new AL West was above .500. Winning that division wasn't any real challenge, much like winning this division now.

You are correct. When the new American League West was formed, the Rangers were leading the division with the losing record when the strike occurred. That division, until recently, was the weakest in baseball. It has since been supplanted by the AL Central, where the Sox reside.

I've often wondered if baseball would be different if the old two-division format were still in place. In some ways, I actaully think that system was better for baseball. Nowadays, it seems like too many people are willing to settle for winning the Wild Card, because they're still guaranteed a playoff spot. The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to believe that only division champions should be in the post-season.

Don't get me wrong. It's nice to see a team like the Marlins overcome staggering odds and win the World Series, but it seems like the regular season has lost much of its value since the inception of the Wild Card.

red faber
12-21-2003, 12:07 AM
The Texas Rangers. I cannot belive they have to unload A-Rod after finishing last for how many years now? They have first access at the top prospects in the country and around the world. I thought John Hart was the mastermind behind the 90's Indians? He sure dont seem to live up to his potential in Texas. You have the best player in baseball on your team, you finish last for at least the last 3 years and you dont have a stock pile of developing players to put around A-Rod coming this year or at least knowing they'll be ready next year? Something is very wrong here. I think Hicks needs to take a good look at his GM and scouting staff, but first he needs to look in the mirror.

3 idiots and 1 severe ******* are involved here. Hicks: letting Boras take him for a ride and now crying broke; Making terrible decisions with a team that should have been rebuilt by now.

John Hart; Has lost his touch obviously. I still cant figure out why he cant find young talent to put around A-Rod while teams like the Sox, Indians, and Royals have rebuilt since the A-Rod deal and have more to show for it. The Sox have not had a real good draft position since the late 80's and look at the farm they have even after KW traded much of it away.

Scot Boras; Do i need to explain about this guy?

a-rod,greedy prick???????????

a- rod did not hold a gun to tom hicks's head and make him offer that amount of money.

let's see you turn down 252 million

RedPinStripes
12-21-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Mountain Man
A-Rod signed a huge contract and worked harder afterwards. How many people that are dogging Alex are also the ones to jump on a guy who signs a big contract and then goes down the tube?

How many of us, when we took our jobs, would have liked to sign a 6 year contract? How many who rip on A-rod also have left companies who gave them more money to come work for them?

Is there a real big difference between 18 million and 25 mill? This is no where near the same situation. It's not like he would have been out of work after 6 years and never be able to get a job making more then 8.00 per hour.

RedPinStripes
12-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by red faber
a-rod,greedy prick???????????

a- rod did not hold a gun to tom hicks's head and make him offer that amount of money.

let's see you turn down 252 million

He was offered a ton from Seattle. Then rejected it and he would have been the highest paid player in the game with Seattle's contract offer. So yes, I call him a gredy prick.

And partially stupid he is. Who the hell signs a ten year deal with a company they never worked for?

PaleHoseGeorge
12-21-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
....I've often wondered if baseball would be different if the old two-division format were still in place. In some ways, I actaully think that system was better for baseball. Nowadays, it seems like too many people are willing to settle for winning the Wild Card, because they're still guaranteed a playoff spot. The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to believe that only division champions should be in the post-season....

Personally, I hate all division formats and the wild card, too. Unlike any other sport, baseball plays *162* regular season games. The sport would be better served if the outcome of that mountain of regular season games was more respected.

Do away with the divisions. Do away with the wild card. Play a balanced schedule. Leave interleague games for the post season. Crown a champion in each league, the team with the best record over 162 games. Play a World Series. It worked great for over 60 years.

Baseball needs to try being more like baseball and stop trying to be like football. They're two totally different sports. What works for one does not work for the other.

Realist
12-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Wasn't the reason the Rangers were able to sign ARod is because they sold the rights to the name of their stadium to pay for his salary? I remember the owner chirping about how that money would pay his salary so it would all be a wash. ARod would basically be a free superstar and not a part of the whole "payroll" equation.

At the time I gave him credit for being a genius. Now ARod is crushing their payroll? I don't get it. Did I miss a meeting or did Jerry become majority owner of the Rangers too.

CubKilla
12-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Wasn't the reason the Rangers were able to sign ARod is because they sold the rights to the name of their stadium to pay for his salary? I remember the owner chirping about how that money would pay his salary so it would all be a wash.

I actually heard that the Texas owner sold a winery in CA that he owned to pay for PayRod.

When you agree to pay one player $252 million over "X" years, where you come up with the money, if you are the owner, probably becomes the stuff of "Urban Legend."

And for the record, I'm glad the MLBPA said "ixnay" to Payrod and Boston. Even though no one put a gun to Hick's or PayRod's head to agree to a $252 million contract, both should suffer a contract like that's consequences.

maurice
12-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Is there a real big difference between 18 million and 25 mill?

Over six years, the difference is $42 million. I understand your point, but $42 million is nothing to sneeze at. That'll buy you a lot of Bentleys, even after Uncle Sam and Boras take their share.