PDA

View Full Version : THE question

SpringfldFan
12-18-2003, 11:11 PM
We are all caught up in what the Sox can or will do this offseason to put them in a hopefully more competitive situation next year. I am interested in the goings-on this winter, but my enthusiasm is still a little tepid, though. The reason is because of one question I have - one that has been asked many times - but one I still cannot shake. Once and for all I will ask all of you your honest opinion. Read the question very carefully and don't read any more or less into it then I am asking. It only requires a simple answer so here it is:

With a payroll limit below $60 million, is there any realistic chance for the Sox to be able to win the world series? The key word here is "realistic". Anything is of course possible, but I am talking about within reason. My gut says you cannot win a pennant with that kind of payroll. The Marlins did it, but I don't know if that kind of magic is within "realistic" expectations.

What do you all think? I know it is a question that has been addressed in some form or another ad nauseum, but I still don't know what the collective opinion is.

oheeoh...magglio
12-18-2003, 11:14 PM
With this cast of characters, I don't see us winning the world series. Our middle relief is horrid, we have no 2nd baseman or center fielder as of now, and our manager appears to have already set fires with some of the players. The marlins won the world series last year with a payroll under 60 million, so it's possible, but we aren't a young and very talented team with the best manager in baseball like the marlins are.

CubKilla
12-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Not realistic because ChiSox don't have a flat-out dominant arm, no BP now to speak of, and no balance throughout the batting order like Florida had. Additionally, the White Sox are weak up the middle. Florida had IRod, Gonzalez, Castillo, and Pierre. White Sox have Olivo/Alomar, Valentin, Harris, and Rowand. We'd need Reed or Borchard to step up like Cabrera did (won't happen). We'd have needed KW to fire JM like Florida fired Torborg in '03. I'm sorry, but Ozzie is no McKeon.

In a nutshell, you cannot compare the $50 million '03 World Champion Florida Marlins to the '04 wanna-be Chicago White Sox.

jordan23ventura
12-18-2003, 11:20 PM
i think you already knew the answer to this question.

JJAustin69
12-18-2003, 11:32 PM
No, not realistically. We aren't the only club that has to say that and that is what is fundamentally wrong with baseball.

MHOUSE
12-18-2003, 11:50 PM
I don't think realistically, or even with some imagination is there any way we can win a series. Some teams can win with a low payroll because they have young talent that doesn't have to be paid big bucks yet. We don't have any talent to speak of and our young players suck for the most part. Our money is tied up in bad contracts like Koch, Konerko, Valentin, Frank (to some degree), etc. We're screwed.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Anything is possible I guess if you want odds of 100,000 to 1, but realistically no.

Assuming the cast of players remains about the same the best we should hope for is 82 wins and a winning season (and a Cubs collapse wouldn't hurt!).

Lip

MHOUSE
12-19-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Anything is possible I guess if you want odds of 100,000 to 1, but realistically no.

Dumb and Dumber:

"What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me being together."

"I'd say about one in a million."

"So you're telling me there's a chance."

Iwritecode
12-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
With a payroll limit below $60 million, is there any realistic chance for the Sox to be able to win the world series?

There's barely a realistic chance for the Sox to win the division right now much less the WS.

This would be a perfect question to bring up to KW at Soxfest though...

anewman35
12-19-2003, 01:04 PM

With a payroll limit below $60 million, is there any realistic chance for the Sox to be able to win the world series?

Yes. With the division in as bad shape as it is, the division should be quite possible. The playoffs would be a challenge, but in a small sample size, anything can happen. If you remember last year, the Sox went though stretches of being unbeatable, and stretches of being horrible. Well, if the team is like that again, and one of those unbeatable stretches happened in the playoffs, they'd be in good shape.

Tekijawa
12-19-2003, 01:05 PM
I think the real question is "Who's Next?"

We've all but run Frank out of town with all the public discussions that Ozzie has about him.

We almost Trade our best player and every Sox board has how happy we are to be getting Nomar instead of having Maggs.

and we still wonder why no one wants to play here, this team is run like the Jerry Springer show. Except there no budget for incestuous four fingered Midget transsexuals, there's only enough for a drunk guy from Cleveland and a Cameo by Bill Walton, and in order for that to happen we need to Trade springer and a camera guy!

But I find solace in the fact that Reiney wants to win more than I do... I'm sure we'll get it done!

ma-gaga
12-19-2003, 06:32 PM

With the current team? No.

You need front line pitching to win a series. The Sox don't have that. And the offense is too easily shut down. I don't understand how such a good offensive team can be stymied.

doogiec
12-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Define realistic. The odds of any one team winning a championship in a thirty team league are pretty small to begin with. Add to that the financial reality of chasing teams like NYY, and that lessens it even worse.

But, I believe there is a small, but realistic chance for the White Sox. And it has nothing to do with them.

They are the luckiest team on earth to be playing in the AL Central. When I look at the current rosters of the other four teams, it appears that 82 or 83 wins may be enough to see the postseaon, as stupid as that sounds. And this team, as currently composed, could win 82-83 games. That's not a stretch.

In the last five postseasons there have been 35 series played, between the division series, LCS and World Series. 11 of those series were won by the team with the better record, 23 by the team with the lesser record, one had the same record. In other words, the post season is a complete crap shoot, and the talent levels of the teams involved often do not determine the winner.

Is it possible to win three coin flips in a row? Thats what the MLB playoffs have been reduced to.

DaveGusinSeattle
12-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Dumb and Dumber:

"What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me being together."

"I'd say about one in a million."

"So you're telling me there's a chance."

LOL, I wasn't sure if you're talking about White Sox organization
OR the AL Central....

What it boils down to in the AL Central is who plays smarter.
With KC, Minn. and Cleveland, we still have a chance this year.

Ask R & R !!! :o:
:R&R