tanko
12-18-2003, 08:53 PM
For pitching prospects???

Viva Magglio
12-18-2003, 08:53 PM
Don't put ideas in KW's head!!!!

MRKARNO
12-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Well if Dan Evans wasn't so unwilling to part with any of his top pitching prospects then we might have a deal, but he doesnt want to give up Jackson or Miller, or even his 3-5 prospects or Mota. He only wants to dump Perez and open up a rotation spot for Jackson. Maybe if the Dodgers miss out on Pudge/Javy/Vlad/etc. might they come crawling back to KW desperately seeking offensive help, but for now, as long as there are still good FAs on the market, dont expect this to happen

Tragg
12-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well if Dan Evans wasn't so unwilling to part with any of his top pitching prospects then we might have a deal, but he doesnt want to give up Jackson or Miller, or even his 3-5 prospects or Mota. He only wants to dump Perez and open up a rotation spot for Jackson. Maybe if the Dodgers miss out on Pudge/Javy/Vlad/etc. might they come crawling back to KW desperately seeking offensive help, but for now, as long as there are still good FAs on the market, dont expect this to happen
how about Seattle? Don't they have some stud pitching prospects and guillen (cheap promising middle infielder we need)and Garcia that kenny likes? Don't they need the O?

MarkEdward
12-18-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
how about Seattle? Don't they have some stud pitching prospects and guillen (cheap promising middle infielder we need)and Garcia that kenny likes? Don't they need the O?

Seattle does have a few pitching prospects. They've got Soriano, Meche, Pineiro, Rett Johnson, Ryan Ketchner, and Clint Nageotte, to name a couple.

However, I don't think the Seattle owners want to take on a $14 million contract. Plus, they just signed Ichiro to a four year extension, and I don't think they have any plans to move him.

MRKARNO
12-18-2003, 09:20 PM
I've heard rumors of Maggs to Anaheim for Washburn and Percival.

Thoughts on seeing Colon and Maggs in Red next year?

Tragg
12-18-2003, 09:24 PM
I've heard rumors of Maggs to Anaheim for Washburn and Percival.

Thoughts on seeing Colon and Maggs in Red next year?
Percival makes way too much money

CubKilla
12-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by tanko
For pitching prospects???

I'm of the opinion that the White Sox don't deal Maggs this offseason unless equal value is offered in trade. Pitching "prospects" don't cut it. Proven starting pitching? Then KW and <insert> GM can sit down and begin trade talks. No good deals? Hang onto Maggs until the trading deadline nears. You should, feasibly, be able to get more from a team desperate for Maggs' services for a potential playoff run. What if the Sox are in contention? Deal with that when the time comes. But if the Sox are 3-4 games out of 1st Place in July of '04, I fully expect "White Flag II" this season after '03's face-plant.

mdep524
12-18-2003, 09:47 PM
I don't like ANY of the Anaheim rumors I've heard. First I heard Magglio for Percival and Erstad, which would be awful. Then I heard Mags and Valentin for Percival, Adam Kennedy and Aaron Sele which is literally the single worst rumored idea I've heard all off-season. Now, Percival and Washburn??

What is the fascination with Percival?? He's old and injury-prone. Plus, we shouldn't be looking for one big name closer in a trade when we have so so many other holes to fill. Closers are really overrated, and they should be the last piece to be added to an already excellent team which the Sox aren't at this point. A Mags trade should net the Sox a heck of a lot more than this.

Tragg
12-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
No good deals? Hang onto Maggs until the trading deadline nears. You should, feasibly, be able to get more from a team desperate for Maggs' services for a potential playoff run. What if the Sox are in contention? Deal with that when the time comes. But if the Sox are 3-4 games out of 1st Place in July of '04, I fully expect "White Flag II" this season after '03's face-plant.

Perhaps you missed the Durham deal when KW took a bag of balls and paid a lot of salary. And frankly, the deadline deals have not been fruitful lately. We really didn't give up much for 2 solid major leagueers last year.
The White Flag deal yielded only prospects - and 1 has proven to be a major leaguer.
What he's going for now are TOP prospects plus a starter and an infielder, centerfielder, something like that. We'll get more by trading him now

MRKARNO
12-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Percival makes way too much money

But if you can first move Koch for Heilman, then you've freed up 6 mil already and can take on that 7.5 from Percival, whom would be a sure thing with a career ERA of 3 while Koch has a career ERA of 3.82. Plus we'd get Washburn, who is probably just as good as Buehrle, even though Washburn is coming off a bad year himself. So after we'd trade Maggs and Koch for Percival, Washburn and Heilman, we'd end up saving nearly 8 million dollars. Plenty of money to sign a Ponson-calibur pitcher

So it would in ecense be:

Maggs and Koch for

Heilman, Washburn, Percival and Ponson

I'd take the bottom package

RedPinStripes
12-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Trading for a closer and giving up talent for a closer is stupid imo.

MRKARNO
12-18-2003, 10:00 PM
I find it funny that Washburn's no trade list includes the Yankees, Mets, Montreal and Toronto

Tragg
12-18-2003, 10:01 PM
But if you can first move Koch for Heilman, then you've freed up 6 mil already and can take on that 7.5 from Percival, whom would be a sure thing with a career ERA of 3 while Koch has a career ERA of 3.82. Plus we'd get Washburn, who is probably just as good as Buehrle, even though Washburn is coming off a bad year himself. So after we'd trade Maggs and Koch for Percival, Washburn and Heilman, we'd end up saving nearly 8 million dollars. Plenty of money to sign a Ponson-calibur pitcher

So it would in ecense be:

Maggs and Koch for

Heilman, Washburn, Percival and Ponson

I'd take the bottom package

Then just do Koch for Heilman and spend the savings on Ponson. We'd still have Maggs. We'll be dumping Percival at first opportunity anyway - his salary is still his salary and it is still outrageous.
Percival really isn't that great. I'd rather younger players. That trade, by itself, is a rip.
How about Jose to Seattle for Guillen and Garcia.

soxtalker
12-18-2003, 10:17 PM
I wonder if a deal between the Sox and LA is really possible. One of the more unsettling rumors coming out in the Arod deals was that Evans didn't seem to be terribly interested in dealing with KW. Now, that's more an interpretation, and it must be taken against the back drop of a general lack of real information coming from the clubs. I believe that KW made a statement that could be taken as a swipe at LA, but it could have been out of context, and he did have the flu.

But I still wonder how easy it will be for them to do any deal. The Konerko talks certainly didn't work earlier.