PDA

View Full Version : personally i'm sorry it didn't happen

idseer
12-18-2003, 09:16 PM
i realize magglio is the best player on this team and has been for a few years now. BUT ....... we haven't done a thing with him. and now he's too expensive for our little town, like it or not!
after the last few years i say any change is a good change. either keeping nomar or filling in some other important positions by moving him to la. keeping the status quo will not get us a division crown. we are still very iffy on pitching. not ONE of our pitchers garners any confidence from me. buehlre? yeah, MAYBE he's going to revert to form. estaban? MAYBE he'll repeat the kind of year he's never had in his life before. garland? yeah. MAYBE he'll finially live up to all our expectations. after that ...... yeah. MAYBE!

we've shown that with last year's better staff we couldn't get the job done. since then we've become weaker at the plate. throw in the weaker staff and i say .... WE NEED CHANGE! ozzie alone won't make a difference (tho i believe he's a definite upgrade).

quit crying about magglio. doesn't matter one whit what he wears to the hof IF he goes (something i seriously doubt). anyone who's read my profile knows he has been my favorite current player ...... but i have more need to see the sox leave the sinkhole they're in than to hope he stay a sox for life.

Tragg
12-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i realize magglio is the best player on this team and has been for a few years now. BUT ....... we haven't done a thing with him. and now he's too expensive for our little town, like it or not!
after the last few years i say any change is a good change.

I would agree with that IF we dealt Nomar, getting some pitching in the process and freeing up capital to address our needs (more pitching, lead off hitter). Otherwise by keeping him, our O gets weaker, our pitching a little better (if the williamson fans are correct) - not much change at all.

idseer
12-18-2003, 09:26 PM
i notice habibharu started a thread pretty similar to this. feel free to move it there gods of wsi. :smile:

Lip Man 1
12-18-2003, 09:32 PM
ID:

Your statement is only partially correct...Magglio is to expensive for the South Side of our little town. Remember Alou's ten million dollar deal ends after this year. Just something to keep in mind.

Lip

RedPinStripes
12-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
ID:

Your statement is only partially correct...Magglio is to expensive for the South Side of our little town. Remember Alou's ten million dollar deal ends after this year. Just something to keep in mind.

Lip

Oh, please dont say that.

soxwon
12-18-2003, 09:38 PM
SADAMN WAS SAYING IT WAS SO CROWDED DOWN IN THAT HOLE, WITH THE ENTIRE SOX TEAM DOWN THERE WITH HIM.
IM JOKING GUYS- I STILL BELIEVE WE HAVE A HELL OF A TEAM.
STILL THE BEST IN CHICAGO.

RedPinStripes
12-18-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by soxwon

IM JOKING GUYS- I STILL BELIEVE WE HAVE A HELL OF A TEAM.
STILL THE BEST IN CHICAGO.

You're joking about that too right?

voodoochile
12-18-2003, 10:33 PM
I would have like it if they could have pulled off all of it (Jose for 2B/CF/P too). I think halfway leaves us no better than before.

The Sox need at least 2 starters, IMO. Then if one of the kids comes on and earns a slot, great and if not, they are covered. They could use some bullpen help, but no reason some of the bullpen depth couldn't be covered by some the kids who don't get to start or the veterans who get pushed out of the starting rotation.

If they can land the two pitchers they need, then the rest starts to fall into place. No, you probably won't replace everything Magglio brings to the table, but you can replace most of his offensive stats for less money.

The problem remains the same. Konerko, Koch and Maggs are eating up too much salary space within the parameters that the Sox have set. At least one of them needs to go if they are going to get some flexibility.

Still, if they can manage to move one of those contracts and land at least one more starting pitcher, they should be a contender for the division...

oheeoh...magglio
12-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
ID:

Lip

Ugh, as sick as an idea as that is, I wouldn't be surprised to see Maggs playing 8 miles to the north of 35th and Shields in 2005. Cubs management would just see that as the perfect opportunity to rip the hearts out of sox fans, and that senario is the only one in which I would actually boo Maggs.