PDA

View Full Version : my kinship with the Pale Hose

Fenway
12-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Lived in Chicago back in the 80's and spent many a night at 35th St.

In 1986 we started a Baseball Show up in Evanston that some of you may remember, and some great memories happened at Comiskey.

I was taken aback once when I was in the elevator to the press box and shared it with a gentleman in a PINK jumpsuit, one Mr Eddie Einhorn.

Was in the bards room one Sunday afternoon, and GM Ken Harrleson and Don Drysdale were asking ME for advice. All I told Hawk was seeing Carlton Fisk in left field was pathetic.

But I can trace the demise of the WS in many ways to Einhorn's SportsVision ( which back then only worked if you had ONE team in a city ) If the other team has all the games on free TV, it isnt going to work. Plus the boneheaded move to have Harry move 9 miles north, that worked real well.

And I maybe the only person in Boston with a Nancy Faust album.

poorme
12-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by fenway
In 1986 we started a Baseball Show up in Evanston that some of you may remember,

Baseball Show??

Fenway
12-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Baseball Show??

it was a cable access thing that took off. Even got a write up in the Wall St Journal for reasons I still dont understand.

Evanston Access was quite the place in the mid 80's as I am sure it is today ( I suspect I will hear from somebody ), but I will never forget the guy who did a weekly show on beer can collecting.

poorme
12-18-2003, 08:37 PM
No I don't recall that...I was there a few years later. I do recall the miserable waits on the Howard Street L-platform in the dead of night, however.

Fenway
12-18-2003, 08:39 PM
I have heard a lot about Howard St the past 10 years, none of it good.

We even went out to Addison once to find where the new ballpark was going to be.

Originally posted by poorme
No I don't recall that...I was there a few years later. I do recall the miserable waits on the Howard Street L-platform in the dead of night, however.

RedPinStripes
12-18-2003, 09:38 PM

We even went out to Addison once to find where the new ballpark was going to be.

That would have been a bigger traffic mess and dui nightmare for Sox fans. I'm glad that didnt happen . eventhough it would have been 10 minutes from me.

Viva Magglio
12-18-2003, 09:52 PM
I have heard a lot about Howard St the past 10 years, none of it good.

They have sort of regentrified the Howard Street area with a Dominicks and shopping center. But the old, cold Howard L-platform brings back quite a few memories. Such as times I would be spending the night in Evanston and stading on the Howard platform waiting for the Purple Line train on the way back from a night of lubrication at Hamilton's and/or Bruno's. Never had any "accidents" or had to "water any plants," but my kidneys got quite a "holding workout."

Now, even though it costs me more money, I take a cab back. That helps.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Fenway:

I think you'll enjoy reading this article:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2096

Lip

adsit
12-18-2003, 10:19 PM
And I maybe the only person in Boston with a Nancy Faust album.

That would mean there's at least two copies in Massachusetts.

StillMissOzzie
12-19-2003, 01:52 AM
it was a cable access thing that took off. Even got a write up in the Wall St Journal for reasons I still dont understand.

Evanston Access was quite the place in the mid 80's as I am sure it is today ( I suspect I will hear from somebody ), but I will never forget the guy who did a weekly show on beer can collecting.

Sounds like the North suburb edition of Wayne's World

SMO
:gulp:

minastirith67
12-19-2003, 02:58 AM
Excellent article, Lip. What was the reaction of Sox fans when Caray died? Was it pretty evenly divided among who loved and hated him? Where did you personally stand?

SSN721
12-19-2003, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the article Lip. I only had vague memories of the whole SportsVision legacy being so young when it started, but that really put a light on what really went wrong with the Sox and their popularity. Its amazing how long this trend of horrific management has been able to continue to run this orginization into the ground with complete indifference to the city and fans. Just makes me quite upset. :angry: :angry:

Realist
12-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Thanks for the article Lip. I only had vague memories of the whole SportsVision legacy being so young when it started, but that really put a light on what really went wrong with the Sox and their popularity. Its amazing how long this trend of horrific management has been able to continue to run this orginization into the ground with complete indifference to the city and fans. Just makes me quite upset. :angry: :angry:

I remember SportsVision well. My family ordered it for the Sox and Hawks games. That's a great article by Lip.

BTW, welcome to the neighborhood. There's a bar 4 blocks north of the Urinal called Nick's Uptown. It's on Sheridan just past Irving Park. At least 4 big time Sox fans work there (me being the biggest :D: ) and we get quite a few Sox fans in there. If the Sox are playing, we always have the game on.

Stop in and we can throw ice and wet bevnaps at the Cubs fans together. :D:

SSN721
12-19-2003, 08:23 AM
BTW, welcome to the neighborhood. There's a bar 4 blocks north of the Urinal called Nick's Uptown. It's on Sheridan just past Irving Park. At least 4 big time Sox fans work there (me being the biggest ) and we get quite a few Sox fans in there. If the Sox are playing, we always have the game on.

Thanks for the welcome, I love the neighborhood but its the dead of winter and am already revolted by the overwhelming amount of Cub paraphernalia. Wonder if I am the only one who noticed the espn 1000 billboard on the corner of Waveland and Sheffield, it had the Sox logo on it, was up when I moved in 2 months ago and somebody plastered the sign with red and blue paint (lots of class) And tore it down and put up a cognac ad now. Was a little pissed about that, it was a nice to have something represented up there across the street from the Urinal. I shall definitely have to check out Nicks, thats a short walk from my apartment, my roommate and I have been looking for a at least an evenly divided bar, but fully biased is even better. SO far the best we found was Irish Eyes, at least there is no Cubs stuff up, some Sox stuff and the when the old man sings "south side Irish" its a lot of Cubs bashing, good times :smile: Anyway, definitely have to check Nicks out, sounds like a great place. Thanks :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

adsit
12-19-2003, 09:19 AM
SO far the best we found was Irish Eyes, at least there is no Cubs stuff up, some Sox stuff and the when the old man sings "south side Irish" its a lot of Cubs bashing, good times :smile:

Irish Eyes on Lincoln Ave? Wow, did that jog a memory...

The "old man" must be really old now... they were singing that 20+ years ago.

You guys keep establishing that Sox beachhead up North. I may be tempted to move back there!

SSN721
12-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by adsit
Irish Eyes on Lincoln Ave? Wow, did that jog a memory...

The "old man" must be really old now... they were singing that 20+ years ago.

You guys keep establishing that Sox beachhead up North. I may be tempted to move back there!

Yup, the one on Lincoln. ANd the old man is pretty old now :D: We will do our best to maintain some kind of Sox stronghold in the area, I personally cant wait til summertime I think it will be quite fun for me and my roommate to sit on the patio in full Sox regalia waiting for the first cubs fan to "trespass" and try to start something. But I hope Kenny pulls off something soon so at least I will be able to brag about something to those morons. :(:

Fenway
12-19-2003, 01:08 PM
excellent article

I think I still have my old ONTV converter which is how one got SportsVision in the pre-cable days.

It was a diaster made worse by allowing Chuck Dolan to get involved. Thank gawd he didnt win the Red Sox sweepstakes.

I remember the first time I was ever at Comiskey, Opening Day 1978 and Ron Bloomberg hit a HR and I heard Na Na Na Na for the first time. That is a game that came back to haunt my beloved Red Sox 161 games later.

In those years Boston always seemed to open with Chicago and then when Haywood and Buddy screwed up, having Fisk with the Pale Hose made it an instant rivalry. Also Haywood Sullivan couldn't stand our TV announcer because he was too candid, and fired him as well, one Ken Harrleson. Haywood also fired a popular radio announcer who then went to Baltimore, Jon Miller.

Even though I lived on the far north side, being from Boston I was an AL fan. I loved the rawness of Comiskey ( the pinball machines were strange) and the passion of the fans. I thought the old upper deck before Einhorn made them golden boxes were the best seats I had ever seen anywhere.

Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Fenway:

I think you'll enjoy reading this article:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2096

Lip

Brian26
12-19-2003, 01:58 PM
I was taken aback once when I was in the elevator to the press box and shared it with a gentleman in a PINK jumpsuit, one Mr Eddie Einhorn.

Was in the bards room one Sunday afternoon, and GM Ken Harrleson and Don Drysdale were asking ME for advice. All I told Hawk was seeing Carlton Fisk in left field was pathetic.

Can you expand upon this a little bit? My first inclination is that this story is total BS.

ewokpelts
12-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I remember SportsVision well. My family ordered it for the Sox and Hawks games. That's a great article by Lip.

BTW, welcome to the neighborhood. There's a bar 4 blocks north of the Urinal called Nick's Uptown. It's on Sheridan just past Irving Park. At least 4 big time Sox fans work there (me being the biggest :D: ) and we get quite a few Sox fans in there. If the Sox are playing, we always have the game on.

we should get a list of pro-sox places up north on this site....
Gene

Hangar18
12-19-2003, 01:59 PM

Say Realist, are you the guy who is a Mgr at Nicks Uptown?
I was in there last weekend, shouldve looked you up man....

Lip Man 1
12-19-2003, 02:20 PM
As far as my personal reaction to Harry, I loved the guy. In 1971 (I was 16) I had a short article published in Baseball Digest on Wilbur Wood. For some reason I took it with me to the Angels / Sox game that September day. I'm walking around the park when I see Harry going out towards the center field bleachers to do the game, I stopped him, showed him the story and he asked me to be on his pre game show! I couldn't believe it. (I got two tickets to another Sox game out of it). We kept in touch over the years and I always liked his style and his ability (before his stroke)

I think many Sox fans were badly hurt when Harry left for the Cubs but over the years I think many finally understood why he did and how in many respects Harry's thoughts on current ownership have shown themselves to be correct.

By the way did you know Harry was color blind? He could only see black, white, shades of gray and I think blue and purples. I know he couldn't see red and green which is why he couldn't drive a car. He also had his clothes tagged with numbers so that he wouldn't wear say a yellow shirt with purple pants. He used the numbers to tell him what he could wear with each other and had the list tacked on to his closet door.

Can you imagine broadcxasting baseball for over 50 years and never seeing the green grass?

Lip

SSN721
12-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
we should get a list of pro-sox places up north on this site....
Gene

Well all I can say for sure is that Irish Eyes on Lincoln is not pro cubs, but when the performer was singing south side irish and went through the anti-cub verse definately more people booing in the bar then cheering, I would imagine other then when that guy is performing it is probably more pro-Cubs :(: But Nicks Uptown sounds great, I will definately have to check that place out soon. I hope there are more islands of sanity there and I just dont know about them. :D:

Fenway
12-19-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Can you expand upon this a little bit? My first inclination is that this story is total BS.

Believe me it was a PINK jumpsuit.

I remember exactly when the exchange with Harrleson happened. It was after a Sunday afternoon game in April (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04130CHA1986.htm) and I was with Ken Coleman the Boston announcer watching Jack Nicklaus winning the Masters. Harrleson and Drysdale were sitting at a table and Hawk was in a rotten mood, as the WS looked awful that day losing to the Sox 12-2. He started asking Coleman some stuff and then started asking me as I was just standing there. Harrleson is of course is an avid golfer had NO interest in the Masters.

2 weeks later I was at a game when the WS were playing Baltimore and Fisk really looked bad in LF that game. What I also remember about that night was seeing something on the DiamondVision that made my heart flutter

In Boston, Roger Clemens has just struck out 20 batters

FanOf14
12-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Can you imagine broadcxasting baseball for over 50 years and never seeing the green grass?

That's a depressing thought. On the other hand, it saved him from see 1980's baseball uniforms in their full splendor.

Brian26
12-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Harrleson and Drysdale were sitting at a table and Hawk was in a rotten mood, as the WS looked awful that day losing to the Sox 12-2. He started asking Coleman some stuff and then started asking me as I was just standing there.

And......

Come on. Give us the dirt. What did he ask you? I'm having a hard time believing Double D and Hawk were asking you for advice, as Hawk is (And Double D, may he rest in peace, was) an egomaniac.

Fenway
12-19-2003, 02:49 PM
It was about Fisk and he kept saying if Yogi Berra could do it, so could Carlton and we said not if Fisk wanted no part of it.

Honestly I think that was the day Ken understood he was way in over his head as GM.

Originally posted by Brian26
And......

Come on. Give us the dirt. What did he ask you? I'm having a hard time believing Double D and Hawk were asking you for advice, as Hawk is (And Double D, may he rest in peace, was) an egomaniac.

Realist
12-22-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Say Realist, are you the guy who is a Mgr at Nicks Uptown?
I was in there last weekend, shouldve looked you up man....

Yeah yeah. Dat's me. Next time you're up there (I'm there Wed-Sat) ask any employee for the Sox fan/manager. :smile:

Realist
12-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Well all I can say for sure is that Irish Eyes on Lincoln is not pro cubs, but when the performer was singing south side irish and went through the anti-cub verse definately more people booing in the bar then cheering, I would imagine other then when that guy is performing it is probably more pro-Cubs :(: But Nicks Uptown sounds great, I will definately have to check that place out soon. I hope there are more islands of sanity there and I just dont know about them. :D:

There's another place that one of the semi-regulars that's a Sox fan hangs out. I think it's around Damen and Lawrence. Their motto is "The Northside White Sox Headquarters". I haven't been there yet but I'm gonna check it out.

One little side story:

During the Cubs/Marlins playoff series, there was a girl shooting pool and she heard me let out an explative after the Cubs scored a run. She laughed and told me that I'm almost as bad as her father. Apparently her father is southside Irish and as long the Cubs were in the playoffs, the girl's mother wasn't allowed to even TURN THE TV ON because of the chance that something about the Cubs would appear on the screen. Now THAT'S hardcore.

She told me that it goes back to when the Wrigleys owned the Cubs and one of them had a history of making some anti-Irish comments. Does anybody know what this is about?

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2003, 09:16 AM
It was about Fisk and he kept saying if Yogi Berra could do it, so could Carlton and we said not if Fisk wanted no part of it.

Honestly I think that was the day Ken understood he was way in over his head as GM.

After looking at the link of that game, with Wayne Tolleson batting second and Reid Nichols batting third, I realize that the Sox would have to sink very, very deep in 2004 to reach the depths of the 1986 and 1987 seasons! I mean, for crying out loud, we have a future HOF in Frank batting third with All-Star Maggs hitting cleanup and Lee able to hit second or fifth! We also have a SS with some serious power (if not the defense of Ozzie) and future stars in Crede and Olivo. I do miss John Cangelosi, though, and it is too bad that they didn't hang on to Bobby Bonilla.

I still say the worst move that Hawk made was firing LaRussa. But look on the bright side: Hawk's disaster as GM forced the Sox to hire Larry Himes, who drafted the core of the early and mid-90s teams in McDowell, Robin, Frank and Alex Fernandez and traded for Wilson Alvarez and a certain Dominican right fielder who corks his bats and eats Flintstone Vitamins.

SSN721
12-23-2003, 09:40 AM
There's another place that one of the semi-regulars that's a Sox fan hangs out. I think it's around Damen and Lawrence. Their motto is "The Northside White Sox Headquarters". I haven't been there yet but I'm gonna check it out.

One little side story:

During the Cubs/Marlins playoff series, there was a girl shooting pool and she heard me let out an explative after the Cubs scored a run. She laughed and told me that I'm almost as bad as her father. Apparently her father is southside Irish and as long the Cubs were in the playoffs, the girl's mother wasn't allowed to even TURN THE TV ON because of the chance that something about the Cubs would appear on the screen. Now THAT'S hardcore.

She told me that it goes back to when the Wrigleys owned the Cubs and one of them had a history of making some anti-Irish comments. Does anybody know what this is about?

I will definately have to check out the place on Lawrence sounds good to me, as for the Wrigley comments I have heard something about that too, but I dont know enough about to speak intelligently on the subject other than I have just heard about it before.