PDA

View Full Version : Deal Officially Dead

Unregistered
12-18-2003, 04:25 PM
As per Gammons...

Unregistered
12-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Apparently all the "3 hour extension" talk was pending on if they were close to reaching an agreement, which apparently they were not.

Seems like a helluva lot of damage was done for nothing to have happened. A-Rod is gonna get the crap booed out of him at every home game, Nomar is gonna be pissed off, Boston's clubhouse is gonna be a mess.

miker
12-18-2003, 04:29 PM
...for once I hope Gammons is right.

maurice
12-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Per ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1689432) and the AP, it's still alive:

The negotiating window for restructuring Rodriguez's contract expired without a deal being finalized. Talks were ongoing at 5 p.m. ET, The Associated Press reported, the deadline set by commissioner Bud Selig for an agreement on reworking the shortstop's record deal -- a step necessary before Texas could trade him to Boston for outfielder Manny Ramirez.

"I'm still in the middle of it," Scott Boras, the AL MVP's agent, told AP just after 5 p.m.

Unregistered
12-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Per Gammons, the biggest obstacle is the $28 million that red sox needed arod to move...

That Andrew Jackson looking bastard keeps talking in circles about how it's dead, for the most part - but it won't be completely off the table for a few hours.

:?:

miker
12-18-2003, 04:43 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_press_release.jsp?ymd=20031218&content_id=620708&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

12/18/2003 5:23 PM ET
Commissioner ends negotiations

Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today that the deadline for negotiations between the Boston Red Sox and Alex Rodriguez has come to an end and that he will not extend the deadline.
Commissioner Selig said: "Due to the unique and complex nature of the negotiations surrounding the proposed transaction involving Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez and the number of teams involved, the negotiations did not reach a successful conclusion by the deadline set. I have terminated my permission for Boston and Alex Rodriguez to continue pursuing this transaction at this time."

Major League Baseball President and Chief Operating Officer Bob DuPuy added: "It's unfortunate that the Players Association felt it necessary to take a legal position which prevented the player and at least two teams from effectuating an agreement that they felt was beneficial."

Baby Fisk
12-18-2003, 04:48 PM
This story ain't even close to being done.

maurice
12-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by miker
Major League Baseball President and Chief Operating Officer Bob DuPuy added: "It's unfortunate that the Players Association felt it necessary to take a legal position which prevented the player and at least two teams from effectuating an agreement that they felt was beneficial."

This is pretty funny, considering that ESPN keeps reporting that the deal is being held up by "[h]ow much money the Red Sox would pay the Rangers to defray Texas' cost of absorbing Ramirez's contract." The MLBPA is not responsible for Hick's idiocy.

I suppose they held a gun to his head and made him sign Chan Ho Park also.

34 Inch Stick
12-18-2003, 05:10 PM
All I know is that I'm warming my foot up to kick somebody in the balls. Once that foot gets warm it must be satisfied.

jabrch
12-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by maurice
This is pretty funny, considering that ESPN keeps reporting that the deal is being held up by "[h]ow much money the Red Sox would pay the Rangers to defray Texas' cost of absorbing Ramirez's contract." The MLBPA is not responsible for Hick's idiocy.

No, of course not, but at this point in time, the only obstacle is the MLBPA. DuPuy is right. The union is stopping something from happening that everyone involved directly wants. But the union is acting in the long term benefits of all its members. When they set a precedent that players can just give back from deals without getting compensation just because A-Rod wants it, then it is expected that others will do it. You can't blame the union for not wanting this to happen - it sucks - but that's the union's job.

DaveGusinSeattle
12-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
The union is stopping something from happening that everyone involved directly wants. But the union is acting in the long term benefits of all its members. When they set a precedent that players can just give back from deals without getting compensation just because A-Rod wants it, then it is expected that others will do it. You can't blame the union for not wanting this to happen - it sucks - but that's the union's job.

:D: :smile:

MAGGLIO STAYS!!!
I hope...
NO TO TRADING FOR SEATTLE REJECTS
:)

Dadawg_77
12-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by maurice

Which story spins better for the owners?

maurice
12-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Contrary to management's rhetoric, the obstacle to the trade isn't the MLBPA. It's Hick's position that he get BOTH the cheaper player AND millions of dollars annually from Boston in the trade. From my reading, Hicks could still come to his senses and trade A-Rod for Manny and a prospect. Boston was agreeable to that, but didn't want to pay A-Rod's $25 mil/year salary PLUS $3-7 mil/year of Manny's salary.

MHOUSE
12-18-2003, 11:11 PM
This deal is not dead. The deadline was for Boston to negotiate a restructuring of A-Rod's contract that the players association would approve of. The two teams (actually three if you count the tentative Maggs deal with us) have agreed to the trade, but the money issues are still in the way. They can keep working on it and I heard from Dan Patrick/Gammons that they had been getting closer to a deal the last two days. Even without changing A-Rods deal, Boston might pay Texas $15 million over 3 years instead of $25 million over 5 years.

This will carry over throughout the weekend.

ArWSoxFan
12-18-2003, 11:56 PM
This deal is far from being truly dead.