PDA

View Full Version : Will Red Sox trade Nomar anyway?

Foulke You
12-18-2003, 03:53 PM
I am wondering if Boston will still entertain trading Nomar if this A-Rod trade falls apart? There are definitely hurt feelings from Nomar towards the city, players (Kevin Millar), and management. Could the Nomar/Maggs trade be renegotiated to include Valentin with us getting Nomar, Williamson, and either Kim or Damon? Any thoughts on Nomar still coming here anyway?

CHISOXFAN13
12-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I am wondering if Boston will still entertain trading Nomar if this A-Rod trade falls apart? There are definitely hurt feelings from Nomar towards the city, players (Kevin Millar), and management. Could the Nomar/Maggs trade be renegotiated to include Valentin with us getting Nomar, Williamson, and either Kim or Damon? Any thoughts on Nomar still coming here anyway?

Intyeresting stuff. I was thinking about this earlier, too, but I just can't see the BOSOX going with a Valentin/Bellhorn double play combo.

SoxxoS
12-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Intyeresting stuff. I was thinking about this earlier, too, but I just can't see the BOSOX going with a Valentin/Bellhorn double play combo.

Fine. I guess will HAVE to part ways with Willie Harris as well.

Foulke You
12-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

They may consider it, if it means they can get Magglio's production and rid themselves of the headache they've created with Nomar. The Red Sox can always upgrade in the middle infield near trade deadline time.

adsit
12-18-2003, 04:25 PM
Good question, Foulke... wondering the same thing myself. I personally think some bridges are burned around here, particularly if this thing doesn't go thru in the next 45 minutes. Nomar's been one of the Carmines' most popular players (I like watching him play as well). Until a few weeks ago, #5 was Boston's favorite number. It's gotta be tough for him to reconcile the zeal with which the fans have sold him out, welcoming just the possibility of A-Rod taking his place.

That said, there'd be no incentive for Boston to deal Nomar for anything less. He's in a walk year, he'll likely be productive, and the Red Sox have already made some decent moves... don't worry 'bout them if they don't get Rodriguez.

I'm still wrapping my mind around the possibility of Nomar coming to the White Sox... and staying...

Foulke You
12-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by adsit
Until a few weeks ago, #5 was Boston's favorite number. It's gotta be tough for him to reconcile the zeal with which the fans have sold him out, welcoming just the possibility of A-Rod taking his place.

It isn't just the fans and management that have sold him out after 8 years of service, it is his own teammates. Apparently Kevin Millar and some other players made some dicey comments about what an upgrade A-Rod is at short over Nomar. That is not an exact quote, but it is a volatile comment to make anyway and could mean a divided clubhouse in Boston if Nomar stays.

I'm trying to come to grips with Nomar coming to the White Sox as well. The more I think about him not coming here, the more disappointed I seem to be getting. I seem to think we have more of a chance at signing Nomar long term than we did Maggs. I think Maggs wants to go somewhere high profile where he can get recognized for his talents. Nomar may need to warm up to the city of Chicago since it wasn't on his radar screen, but I think he might embrace it if the dollar signs are right. That is a big IF whenever the White Sox are concerned.

Baby Fisk
12-18-2003, 04:41 PM
I really don't know how Nomar would fit in in Chicago. He's gonna be one big ball of bitterness after the dust settles from today. What would an Ozzie-Nomar relationship be like?

jabrch
12-18-2003, 04:45 PM
No way...They would definitely keep Nomar. The fans love him. If they lost Nomar and didn't get a SS in return who they liked, after all the work they did this offseason to shore up the pitching, they'd go nuts. If the A-Rod thing falls apart, they will keep Nomar and work on trading Manny elsewhere.

hold2dibber
12-18-2003, 04:48 PM
If the Red Sox were to move Garciaparra, I don't think it would be for an outfielder, unless they were to also include an outfielder in the trade., since they already have Nixon and Ramirez at the corner outfield spots. Maybe Maggs/Valentin for Nomar/Nixon? I don't really see how that meets either teams needs, though - it probably makes the Red Sox a little worse and I don't think it helps the Sox much in the two areas where they need help most: pitching and payroll relief.

Foulke You
12-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If the Red Sox were to move Garciaparra, I don't think it would be for an outfielder, unless they were to also include an outfielder in the trade., since they already have Nixon and Ramirez at the corner outfield spots. Maybe Maggs/Valentin for Nomar/Nixon? I don't really see how that meets either teams needs, though - it probably makes the Red Sox a little worse and I don't think it helps the Sox much in the two areas where they need help most: pitching and payroll relief.

The deal could still include Williamson and/or Kim and there is a black hole in our bullpen now that Gordon and Sully are gone so I could still see this deal addressing our needs. If the Red Sox are confident they can trade Manny, then they may want Magglio anyway. Unless they want to do something drastic and include Damon in the deal and convert Maggs into a Center Fielder and have an outfield of Ramirez/Maggs/Nixon. Of course, this is all wild speculation but one would have to think the door to get Nomar is still open.