PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Prospectus on the A Rod Trade

Dadawg_77
12-18-2003, 02:17 PM
http://premium.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2490
Today, I want to address the Alex Rodriguez mess. I haven't to date, in part because I really don't want Rodriguez to be traded. I joked about it last week, but the relentless flow of top players to a few teams isn't good for the game. This is exactly what didn't happen in the free-agent era until the last two years, when the luxury-tax structure and increased revenue sharing went into effect. Go wait for that to be a sound bite from Bud Selig's next press conference on the success of the newest Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Foulke You
12-18-2003, 02:30 PM
"The amount of money even the most well-compensated athletes make is really nothing if your goals are ambitious, and the notion that someone should take less, in a business with Pohlads and McMorrises and, my god, Reinsdorfs, is appalling to me."

Our owner is worth a "my God" comment before his name in relation to cheap baseball owners. :D:

Hokiesox
12-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
"The amount of money even the most well-compensated athletes make is really nothing if your goals are ambitious, and the notion that someone should take less, in a business with Pohlads and McMorrises and, my god, Reinsdorfs, is appalling to me."

Our owner is worth a "my God" comment before his name in relation to cheap baseball owners. :D:

I think you meant to click on :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

rahulsekhar
12-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Although I disagree 100% with his conclusion. How in the world it's unfair that management can pressure players to reduce salaries when players can hold out, etc at the drop of a hat it beyond me.

If a player holds out for more money, and gets it, then if they're unhappy or not, they have the right to stick around and collect their contract.

BP seems to think that players should have the right to get maximum money AND be moved out to a better situation for them if they so desire. If you want something that you don't got, generally you have to give up something.

Again - if ARod wants to collect his entire contract, he can stay in Texas, that's his choice. If he wants to move to a new situation and that team makes him choose between the situation and the $$$, that's his choice as well (it's also the team's choice to potentially not have him because of their $$$ requirement). Seems fair to me.