PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 12/ 18

Lip Man 1
12-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Here's something that should send shivers (try saying that five times in a row!) down the spines of all Sox fans, especially those who are so confident the Sox will make meaningful moves in the not to distant future:

"It's still a long offseason and a lot of things haven't happened for us in the past until later in the offseason. Then again, it's very possible that little happens for us the rest of the offseason --Kenny Williams to the Daily Southtown.

Lip

anewman35
12-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's something that should send shivers (try saying that five times in a row!) down the spines of all Sox fans, especially those who are so confident the Sox will make meaningful moves in the not to distant future:

"It's still a long offseason and a lot of things haven't happened for us in the past until later in the offseason. Then again, it's very possible that little happens for us the rest of the offseason --Kenny Williams to the Daily Southtown.

Lip

What is Kenny supposed to say? "I guarantee you we will make 3 trades and 2 free agent signings"? Of course not. Kenny wants to make deals if something comes up. But he can't just make a deal because HE wants a deal, he needs another player or team to want a deal as well. You do understand that, right?

Palehose13
12-18-2003, 02:01 PM

Lip

Why did you leave this out, which was at the very end of the story:
"We're not done by a long shot," Williams said. "(Reinsdorf) has always given me parameters to work with and expects me to be creative within those parameters. I will tell you this: We won't do anything that won't make this team better for now and the future."

Randar68
12-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
"We're not done by a long shot," Williams said. "(Reinsdorf) has always given me parameters to work with and expects me to be creative within those parameters. I will tell you this: We won't do anything that won't make this team better for now and the future."

Because that wouldn't sound as negative.

RKMeibalane
12-18-2003, 02:07 PM
It's amazing. Regardless of what happens in the world, it's a virtual certainty that the Lip neegativity train will continue it's journey through Sox land.

dougs78
12-18-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13

I believe because, by law, Lip's "Quote of the Day" must always be the one that will put the gloomiest slant on any story. I'm pretty sure that its in the constitution somewhere.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Because I love tweating the optimists noses' who ignore 40 years of recent Sox history to go off to fantasy land and think that 'the pennent is just around the corner... we'll win it this year!' LOL

You do bring up a valid point with Williams comments which makes it look like he's contradicting himself in his own story don't you think? Sort of lends weight to the thread where the individual asks 'does Kenny really have a plan or is this all luck?'

Lip

Dadawg_77
12-18-2003, 02:23 PM
Because I love tweating the optimists noses' who ignore 40 years of recent Sox history to go off to fantasy land and think that 'the pennent is just around the corner... we'll win it this year!' LOL

You do bring up a valid point with Williams comments which makes it look like he's contradicting himself in his own story don't you think? Sort of lends weight to the thread where the individual asks 'does Kenny really have a plan or is this all luck?'

Lip

Kenny may have a plan but it is probally bad one. The thing is the Sox double talk becuase they want noone but themselves to know what they are thinking.

anewman35
12-18-2003, 02:25 PM

It's not all luck, but of course luck has a large place in it. This A-Rod thing is a perfect example - Kenny has (had?) at least one trade all lined up, but it actually happening depends totally on outside forces coming together in the right way. That's luck. If Kenny tries to make all the right deals and nobody wants to talk or things fall though, then how is that his fault?

Palehose13
12-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Some people think that KW isn't the one pulling the strings, but that Hemond is.

joecrede
12-18-2003, 02:32 PM

Lip

Lip, you are something else my friend. :D:

Hangar18
12-18-2003, 02:56 PM
Im glad Lip is "negative", because it gives me another angle into which to analyze a situation. Not to mention hes been watching SOX baseball for a number of yrs before me. Id rather have some pessimism than Rampant Optimism, such as we witness
just 8 miles to our North .........THAT makes me sick