PDA

View Full Version : Paul White of USA Today says .....

Hangar18
12-18-2003, 09:10 AM
if this deal happens, will be one of the Biggest Trades in baseball history, because of the Magnitude of the players involved. He said ALL of these players are hitting the PRIMES of their careers and on their way to Hall Of Fame entry. The last part was particularly noteful, because I said YESTERDAY that if Maggs Continues what hes already accomplished, HE WILL BE IN THE HOF. Paul White said A-Rod, Nomar, Manny and Maggs are all going to be in the Hall Of Fame or to be more exact " ...thats what makes this trade so big, because it involves 4 guys who are more than likely going to be in the Hall of Fame someday"

bobj4400
12-18-2003, 09:14 AM
And in the end, the White Sox wont have any of these players on the opening day roster.

Eddie Gaedel
12-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
And in the end, the White Sox wont have any of these players on the opening day roster.

and if any are on our roster next year, they certainly won't be wearing the SOX uni in the HOF.

BeerHandle
12-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
if this deal happens, will be one of the Biggest Trades in baseball history, because of the Magnitude of the players involved. He said ALL of these players are hitting the PRIMES of their careers and on their way to Hall Of Fame entry. The last part was particularly noteful, because I said YESTERDAY that if Maggs Continues what hes already accomplished, HE WILL BE IN THE HOF. Paul White said A-Rod, Nomar, Manny and Maggs are all going to be in the Hall Of Fame or to be more exact " ...thats what makes this trade so big, because it involves 4 guys who are more than likely going to be in the Hall of Fame someday"

He really didn't say anything new. Where are his sources? What are his thoughts? Will it happen?

Any of us on this board could have written his column!

ewokpelts
12-18-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
He really didn't say anything new. Where are his sources? What are his thoughts? Will it happen?

Any of us on this board could have written his column!

Paul is a very good baseball writer. I trust his opinion and viewpoints more than Gammons. He's very anti-budlite, and aside from a misguided attraction to the urinal, writes on the behal;f of the common fan. As for sources, hes a COLUMNIST, he dont really need them, although he does use his brain more than moronoti.
Gene

Brian26
12-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
...thats what makes this trade so big, because it involves 4 guys who are more than likely going to be in the Hall of Fame someday"

I remember when Don Mattingly's rookie baseball card went up to $40 book value, mint, in 1986.

Give me a call when "Donnie Baseball" makes the Hall, Hangar.

hold2dibber
12-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Maggs. He's one of the best players in the game. But he's not on track for the HOF. He'd have to kick it up a couple notches to get there. He'll be 30 when next season starts. If he continues at about 30 homers/year for the next 6 years, he'd finish his career with 358. He has a career OPS under .900. He has never lead the league in anything and has never even been close to an MVP award. Again, I don't want to suggest that I don't think he's a great player, because he clearly is among the best in the game. But he's not quite at that elite level that gets you into the HOF. Look at the 162 game averages of these two corner outfielders:

Player A

30 HRs, 102 RBIs, .284 avg., .895 OPS

Player B

30 HRs, 114 RBIs, .307 avg., .892 OPS

Maggs is player B. Tim Salmon is player A. Maggs has been a little better overall, but not much. I don't think anyone here would argue that Tim Salmon is anywhere close to the HOF.

DirtySouthsider
12-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Don't get me wrong, I love Maggs. He's one of the best players in the game. But he's not on track for the HOF. He'd have to kick it up a couple notches to get there. He'll be 30 when next season starts. If he continues at about 30 homers/year for the next 6 years, he'd finish his career with 358. He has a career OPS under .900. He has never lead the league in anything and has never even been close to an MVP award. Again, I don't want to suggest that I don't think he's a great player, because he clearly is among the best in the game. But he's not quite at that elite level that gets you into the HOF. Look at the 162 game averages of these two corner outfielders:

Player A

30 HRs, 102 RBIs, .284 avg., .895 OPS

Player B

30 HRs, 114 RBIs, .307 avg., .892 OPS

Maggs is player B. Tim Salmon is player A. Maggs has been a little better overall, but not much. I don't think anyone here would argue that Tim Salmon is anywhere close to the HOF.

Greta post! I love Maggs as much as anyone but the HOF is a stretch right now. Maybe in a different era he would be a lock but the way the offensive numbers are right now he doesn't really stand out?

Hangar18
12-18-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I remember when Don Mattingly's rookie baseball card went up to $40 book value, mint, in 1986.

Say, not to get off the Subject, but Ive got to meet you
Brian, your Signature had me laughing my arse off the last couple of Days. With your permission, I want to make some
Shirts with that Line in it..........

Nick@Nite
12-18-2003, 02:18 PM
If Maggs ends up in Beantown, and plays the rest of career there, his numbers gotta spike. Of course there no way to do the math on a hypothetical... but if Maggs goes to Boston and stays, he'll end up in the HOF, imo.

hold2dibber
12-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
If Maggs ends up in Beantown, and plays the rest of career there, his numbers gotta spike. Of course there no way to do the math on a hypothetical... but if Maggs goes to Boston and stays, he'll end up in the HOF, imo.

But he's getting older. He might fare better at Fenway than at Comiskey (although I'm not even certain that Fenway is a better hitters park than Comiskey at this point), it's also reasonable to expect that his skills will start to erode at some point in the next few years. And to get to Cooperstown, he'd have to really crank it up. For example, to get to 500 HRs, he'd have to average 40 dingers per year every year through his age 38 season. He's never hit 40 homers once. It's not like Fenway is Coors - I just can't see him getting that much better over such a long period of time based solely on the difference in the parks.

Nick@Nite
12-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
But he's getting older. He might fare better at Fenway than at Comiskey (although I'm not even certain that Fenway is a better hitters park than Comiskey at this point), it's also reasonable to expect that his skills will start to erode at some point in the next few years. And to get to Cooperstown, he'd have to really crank it up. For example, to get to 500 HRs, he'd have to average 40 dingers per year every year through his age 38 season. He's never hit 40 homers once. It's not like Fenway is Coors - I just can't see him getting that much better over such a long period of time based solely on the difference in the parks.

I think Fenway is a band-box ball park that is conducive to producing tremendous offensive numbers... 40 taters for Maggs per year to reach 500 does set the bar high... but with little foul territory at Fenway, his BA while definitely spike, and the rbi count will get a boost too.

CHISOXFAN13
12-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Thanks for that reminder, Brian. I recall when I was a youngster that I thought that card would help pay for my college education!