PDA

View Full Version : Deal dead?

gosox41
12-18-2003, 06:47 AM
According to today's Tribune, the Magglio/Nomar deal isn't going to happen. One unnamed Sox official went and called the deal dead.

I'm kind of glad it is. Nomar doesn't want to be here. Plus getting him and hopefully Williamson doesn't solve the Sox needs at pitching. Williamson helps, but in no way is he going to make a huge difference.

I still like the 3 team trade better then this one. Williamson, Mota, and Perez fill 3 big pitching needs for the Sox. Plus the Sox would get a stud pitching prospect that maybe was developed in a system better the the White Sox. Most importantly it frees up money to get a 5th starter, a RF replacement if they don't want Borchard,, a 2B.

All the current deal does is give the Sox 2 SS's and another relieve that will get burned out because our starting staff is shaky at best.

Bob

tanko
12-18-2003, 07:00 AM
Another example of lack of direction it is becoming hard to be a white sox fan

anewman35
12-18-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by tanko
Another example of lack of direction it is becoming hard to be a white sox fan

Huh? Deals fall apart, it happens. If it wasn't for Boston leaking every trade, you'd never have even known about this.

cornball
12-18-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
According to today's Tribune, the Magglio/Nomar deal isn't going to happen. One unnamed Sox official went and called the deal dead.

I'm kind of glad it is. Nomar doesn't want to be here. Plus getting him and hopefully Williamson doesn't solve the Sox needs at pitching. Williamson helps, but in no way is he going to make a huge difference.

I still like the 3 team trade better then this one. Williamson, Mota, and Perez fill 3 big pitching needs for the Sox. Plus the Sox would get a stud pitching prospect that maybe was developed in a system better the the White Sox. Most importantly it frees up money to get a 5th starter, a RF replacement if they don't want Borchard,, a 2B.

All the current deal does is give the Sox 2 SS's and another relieve that will get burned out because our starting staff is shaky at best.

Bob

The Tribune has not printed a possitive story on the White Sox in years. Every story has to be tainted. Today is the first time they even mentioned the deal to show you how much attention the Sox receive.

The Arod deal will happen today...might be near the dead line ...but it has to happen for the good of the game. Too much at stake, the games best player....and so on. It would be a big black eye on the union to hold this up, for them and baseball.

Guidelines are typically for normal transactions, while we do not know which guideline was broken, this is anything but a normal transaction. ARod has a 250+ million dollar contract alone.

Baseball can't afford another fiasco. Public perception will have no sympathy if this doesn't happen.

thepaulbowski
12-18-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by cornball
The Tribune has not printed a possitive story on the White Sox in years. Every story has to be tainted. Today is the first time they even mentioned the deal to show you how much attention the Sox receive.

The Arod deal will happen today...might be near the dead line ...but it has to happen for the good of the game. Too much at stake, the games best player....and so on. It would be a big black eye on the union to hold this up, for them and baseball.

Guidelines are typically for normal transactions, while we do not know which guideline was broken, this is anything but a normal transaction. ARod has a 250+ million dollar contract alone.

Baseball can't afford another fiasco. Public perception will have no sympathy if this doesn't happen.

To add to that, hasn't Boston & Texas just gone too far with this to let it fall apart. A-rod wants out of Texas, Nomar & Manny have been told to pack their bags. If the deal doesn't happen you have a lot a hacked off guys playing for teams they probably don't want to play for anymore.

jshanahanjr
12-18-2003, 09:25 AM
Why do we have to trade the best Sox player in my 30 years on the planet to get a SS that doesn't want to be here? He may hit 80 pts higher than Valentin but he doesn't hit many more bombs and makes around the same amount of errors for twice the price. The Sox need to added pitching to the team not Nomar. This deal makes no sense on any level if the Sox trade Magglio. Why can't they give Maggs a 3 year extension for 39 million like Sheffield. The Yanks have 4 cornerstone players and we can't afford to keep our one. My sympathy goes to White Sox sales and marketing. They will have to sell ice to Eskimos.

Kilroy
12-18-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr
Why do we have to trade the best Sox player in my 30 years on the planet to get a SS that doesn't want to be here? He may hit 80 pts higher than Valentin but he doesn't hit many more bombs and makes around the same amount of errors for twice the price. The Sox need to added pitching to the team not Nomar. This deal makes no sense on any level if the Sox trade Magglio. Why can't they give Maggs a 3 year extension for 39 million like Sheffield. The Yanks have 4 cornerstone players and we can't afford to keep our one. My sympathy goes to White Sox sales and marketing. They will have to sell ice to Eskimos.

Where ya been? I know you're new at WSI (welcome btw), but Maggs has refused etension offers from the Sox and has said that he doesn't want to talk about it until after the season. That means that the Sox would get bubkus if he walks, and given that hes at 14 mil now and would want a raise (so your 3 yr 39 mil doesnt really work), the Sox aren't likely to sign him.

I don't believe for a second that the Sox acquiring Nomar wouldn't lead to a Nomar to somewhere for pitching deal. Nomar = Maggs - 3mil for 2004. Same problem. So he's not staying if they get him.

Maggs is good, but not worth 14 mil. And while I'll hate to see him go, I was a Sox fan before Maggs and I'll be one after Maggs.

anewman35
12-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Why can't they give Maggs a 3 year extension for 39 million like Sheffield.

Maybe Maggs doesn't want a 3 year extension for 39 million dollars? Not that he doesn't, I have no idea, but it's silly to assume they can "give" a player a contract.

jimrio1970
12-18-2003, 09:43 AM

agreed but Frank is the best player in 30 years here.
This whole thing is getting way too drawn out and really old really fast.

As to the reason why maggs won't sign a 3 year deal is because he's younger than Sheffield and wants more years and money.