PDA

View Full Version : Nomar = Little *****

inta
12-18-2003, 04:24 AM
first off i do NOT want this trade to go through, but then again i also think we should be trying our damnedest to get maggz to sign an extension. even if that means (what a shock) paying the guy!

but all this talk about nomar being "luke warm" to chicago pisses me off. spoiled freakin baseball players.
did gary carter ever complain about playing in montreal all those years?

i swear my patience with sports and it's wacked politics is paper thin these days...

kermittheefrog
12-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by inta

but all this talk about nomar being "luke warm" to chicago pisses me off. spoiled freakin baseball players.

Well he did ask to go into the hall as a Met even though his best years were with the Expos.

Wsoxmike59
12-18-2003, 07:27 AM
Inta, I disagree. I think the Nomar Garciaparra trade could be the biggest bonanza for the southside since the Carlton Fisk F.A. signing in 1981 or the Dick Allen trade of '72.

Nomar could get to like it here and maybe we can get him to sign a contract extension while he's here. I think Nomar could single handedly resurrect the southside franchise and get it back to the pre 1994 strike state, when the Sox were a force to be reckoned with, and nobody was bad mouthing the ballpark we played in. Nomar will give us instant legitimacy.

inta
12-19-2003, 06:04 AM
[i]
Nomar could get to like it here and maybe we can get him to sign a contract extension while he's here. I think Nomar could single handedly resurrect the southside franchise and get it back to the pre 1994 strike state, when the Sox were a force to be reckoned with, and nobody was bad mouthing the ballpark we played in. Nomar will give us instant legitimacy. [/B]

kenny? is that you?

mike squires
12-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
Inta, I disagree. I think the Nomar Garciaparra trade could be the biggest bonanza for the southside since the Carlton Fisk F.A. signing in 1981 or the Dick Allen trade of '72.

Nomar could get to like it here and maybe we can get him to sign a contract extension while he's here. I think Nomar could single handedly resurrect the southside franchise and get it back to the pre 1994 strike state, when the Sox were a force to be reckoned with, and nobody was bad mouthing the ballpark we played in. Nomar will give us instant legitimacy.

You still need pitching to do that, and we aint' got it.

Baby Fisk
12-19-2003, 09:14 AM

If Gary Carter were breaking into the majors today, he'd find away to get out of Montreal tout suite ! A lot has changed in 20 years.

At this point, Nomar would be damaged goods, not physically but mentally. If he came here holding a grudge because it wasn't LA, he'd play out his time and split, or make himself expendable. If he stays in Boston now, well, good luck to Mr. Francona. It's only a matter of time before the clubhouse splits six different ways and the fenway cannibals tear him to pieces.

Nomar = No thanks.

As an aside, What do they call Sox fans nowadays, Cellmates?

FanOf14
12-19-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
If Gary Carter were breaking into the majors today, he'd find away to get out of Montreal tout suite ! A lot has changed in 20 years.

So are you saying playing baseball on the southside is as bad as playing in Montreal? It seems some players think so - more because of the ownship than fans, I suppose...

Baby Fisk
12-19-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
So are you saying playing baseball on the southside is as bad as playing in Montreal? It seems some players think so - more because of the ownship than fans, I suppose...
Good lord no! I was ripping Carter, not the south side. The south side could and should be a magnet for players (as it was oh so briefly in the early 90s when the pieces were all coming together), but management in the decade since has made this place as unattractive as any to play in.

How bad is it? I was looking through a lonely planet tour book for Chicago and the section on Comiskey actually led off by describing two key things: the rabid core fanbase, and the fact that JR is one of the most hated owners in baseball. How sad is that? :(:

adsit
12-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk

At this point, Nomar would be damaged goods, not physically but mentally. If he came here holding a grudge because it wasn't LA, he'd play out his time and split, or make himself expendable. If he stays in Boston now, well, good luck to Mr. Francona. It's only a matter of time before the clubhouse splits six different ways and the fenway cannibals tear him to pieces.

Nomar = No thanks.

As an aside, What do they call Sox fans nowadays, Cellmates?

Article in today's Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2003/12/19/fallback_plan_in_place/) posits that Nomar's going to be fine. I partially agree. He doesn't strike me as someone who would phone it in on the field (whether ours or Fenway's) just because of what's happening off it. But, starting with the first day of spring training when he punches Kevin Millar's lights out, that's gonna be one fractured team. They really painted themselves into a corner with this.

Freaks are on WEEI right now still hoping this is going to go down, by the way. While I could see the marquee value of having Nomar in pale hose (a la Carlton Fisk), I could see our management eventually blowing it (a la Carlton Fisk). And since it's all but certain Nomar will be sportin' LA or Anaheim colors in '05, it's just as well this didn't happen for us. We'll take our lumps, and our Maggs, and regroup :smile:.

And re. the aside; some unenlightened ones would call us parolees...

CubKilla
12-19-2003, 11:26 AM

First off, would you want to play for an owner like JR if you were Nomar? The same owner who led the '94 Lock-Out, made the "White Flag Trade", had a "Diminshed Skills Clause" written into one of his marque player's contract, etc., etc., etc. Would you want to leave the national baseball sports media eye in Boston for the invisible baseball sports media eye on Chicago's SouthSide? Would you want to move your life to Chicago knowing that it will only be for one season since JR will not pay you what you are worth when your contract is up?

Sox fans need to get a freakin' grip. MLB's premier players don't want to play here and I, for one, DON'T BLAME THEM ONE BIT!

Paulwny
12-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
First off, would you want to play for an owner like JR if you were Nomar? The same owner who led the '94 Lock-Out, made the "White Flag Trade", had a "Diminshed Skills Clause" written into one of his marque player's contract, etc., etc., etc. Would you want to leave the national baseball sports media eye in Boston for the invisible baseball sports media eye on Chicago's SouthSide? Would you want to move your life to Chicago knowing that it will only be for one season since JR will not pay you what you are worth when your contract is up?

Sox fans need to get a freakin' grip. MLB's premier players don't want to play here and I, for one, DON'T BLAME THEM ONE BIT!

Exactly, and this is why Maggs will be leaving at the end of the year.