PDA

View Full Version : Greenstein: Nomar deal 'dead'

MarqSox
12-17-2003, 10:25 PM
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/7516573.htm

For whatever reason, this isn't posted on chicagosports.com yet. But here it is.

OEO Magglio
12-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Can you post the article, the link isn't working for me.

MarqSox
12-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Can you post the article, the link isn't working for me.
I'll post the first half, so as not to infringe copyright and such.
CHICAGO - (KRT) - Chicago White Sox fans might want to hold off on erecting that statue of Nomar Garciaparra at 35th and Shields.

Even if the proposed Alex Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez deal comes to fruition, baseball sources said Wednesday that major obstacles stand in the way of a trade that would send Garciaparra to the South Side for Magglio Ordonez.

One source went so far as to call the deal "dead."

Sox general manager Ken Williams, working from home while he battles the flu, declined to comment specifically on the Garciaparra rumors, citing tampering issues.

"Everybody thinks they know (what will happen), but until something's announced, nothing is official," Williams said.

What is known is that Williams won't trade Ordonez unless he is confident it will improve his club. Acquiring Garciaparra, a five-time All-Star, plus reliever Scott Williamson would help. But for the deal to make sense, Williams will need to complete at least one additional trade that will bring starting pitching and enough financial relief to sign another right fielder.

In other words, Williams won't pull the trigger on Garciaparra unless he has a favorable deal lined up for fellow shortstop Jose Valentin. A potential trade with Seattle fell through Wednesday after the Mariners signed third baseman Scott Spiezio to a three-year deal.

Brian26
12-17-2003, 10:35 PM
From that article:
The last time the union became involved in such a negotiation, after the 2001 season, Mo Vaughn agreed to defer $8 million of a signing bonus and $13.75 million in salary after being traded from Anaheim to the Mets. As part of the agreement, the money was deferred at 5.436 percent interest from 2005 through 2011.

Wow. What a sick thought. Mo Vaughn's fat ass will be getting paid 8 years from now? That's insane.

OEO Magglio
12-17-2003, 10:36 PM
So in other words we were probably going to send jose and konerko to seattle for garcia and someone else.

soxfan26
12-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Albert Belle, Pay-Rod, Mo Vaughn, and a host of others are all reasons why Sox fans should never complain when management won't throw money at the big name free agents. These contracts handcuffed the team for years down the road, one player is NEVER worth that.

I hope Pay-Rod dies lonely and forgotten in a motel room in Milwaukee

Viva Magglio
12-17-2003, 10:40 PM
I hope it falls through. I don't want Magglio taken away from us.

Palehose13
12-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Why Milwaukee? We don't want him here. :angry:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-17-2003, 10:44 PM
Trade him now or get a bucket of baseballs for him next July. If the deal does fall through, I wouldn't be surprised if next summer Williams trades Ordonez away and the Sox still pay the remainder of his salary. There is precedent for this.

:ray
"Ahem..."

Well at least we'll cut down on our double-play grounders. :smile:

soxfan26
12-17-2003, 10:44 PM
My apologies.

I hope he dies lonely and forgotten far away from the baseball world.

Shoeless Joe
12-17-2003, 11:10 PM

Unless he starts buying Caribbean islands it ain't happening. This guy can probably buy a house to die in.

DrCrawdad
12-17-2003, 11:23 PM
...I hope Pay-Rod dies lonely and forgotten in a motel room in Milwaukee

I thought that perhaps this was a reference to the inventor of PKZip, Phil Katz, who died lonely in a motel room in Milwaukee.

soxfan26
12-17-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I thought that perhaps this was a reference to the inventor of PKZip, Phil Katz, who died lonely in a motel room in Milwaukee.

No, I actually never heard of this guy. I was referring to my distaste for Pay-Rod and using a funny line I heard in a George Carlin comedy routine some years ago about Mickey Mouse. It was something to the effect of:

"I hate Mickey, I hope he dies lonely and forgotten behind the wall of a sleazy motel with his hand in goofy's pants"

I did find the story though Katz (http://www.donzeigler.com/html/phil_katz.html)

On April 14, 2000, Phil Katz was found dead in a Milwaukee motel room. An empty bottle of peppermint schnapps was still clutched in his hand, and five more empties were scattered about the room.

DrCrawdad
12-17-2003, 11:46 PM
No, I actually never heard of this guy. I was referring to my distaste for Pay-Rod and using a funny line I heard in a George Carlin comedy routine some years ago about Mickey Mouse. It was something to the effect of:

"I hate Mickey, I hope he dies lonely and forgotten behind the wall of a sleazy motel with his hand in goofy's pants"

I did find the story though Katz (http://www.donzeigler.com/html/phil_katz.html)

BTW I didn't mean to sound flippant about Phil Katz. I read the story about Phil's death in the Tribune a few years ago. Phil sounded like a very intelligent person. Sad to lose him.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Yea that mean old A-Rod sure forced the Rangers to pay him that 252 million!

Try another target Soxfan because you missed with your first shot.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
12-18-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Doesn't PKZip describe Konerko and his value to the team? Thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress...

DrCrawdad
12-18-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Doesn't PKZip describe Konerko and his value to the team? Thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress... You'll need this for your comedic act... (http://www.geocities.com/wavs03/rimshot.wav)

MisterB
12-18-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
So in other words we were probably going to send jose and konerko to seattle for garcia and someone else.

If Seattle won't take Manos by himself due to cash concerns, why would they take Konerko's contract (even if Garcia leaves in the process)?

owensmouth
12-18-2003, 03:21 AM
It is posted in Chicago sports.com. Bring up the URL and then go to "news" at the top. Follow it down to sports and you'll find it.

Wsoxmike59
12-18-2003, 06:33 AM
Fox News in the a.m. is reporting Maggs and Dan Wright for Nomar and Scott Sullivan is a done deal. Woohoo!

Nomar watching Dan Wright struggle with the 7-8-9 hitters ever again. (pardon the Nomar pun, I couldn't resist)

seventytwo
12-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
Fox News in the a.m. is reporting Maggs and Dan Wright for Nomar and Scott Sullivan is a done deal. Woohoo!

Nomar watching Dan Wright struggle with the 7-8-9 hitters ever again. (pardon the Nomar pun, I couldn't resist)

Scott Sullivan :?: Think you mean Williamson.

thepaulbowski
12-18-2003, 08:34 AM

Where I work, they just offered to pay millions of dollars, but I turned it down because I don't think it's right

So...it's A-rod's fault he was offered the money. Hmmm....

PaulDrake
12-18-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I hope it falls through. I don't want Magglio taken away from us. Me too and I've felt pretty much alone these past few days.

MarqSox
12-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I hope it falls through. I don't want Magglio taken away from us.
It's not a matter of if, but when, Maggs leaves the Sox. I don't see us getting a better deal for him than this one, so hoping this falls through is not a good idea for the longterm success of the franchise.

Chisox353014
12-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
It's not a matter of if, but when, Maggs leaves the Sox. I don't see us getting a better deal for him than this one, so hoping this falls through is not a good idea for the longterm success of the franchise.

So, to sum up; for the long-term success of the franchise we're rooting for our best all-around player and #1 fan favorite to be traded for an overrated shortstop who doesn't even want to play for us and who'll likely himself be traded for pitching prospects who may never pan out.

Thank you, Mr. Reinsdorf, this is truly a magical time to be a Sox fan!

Baby Fisk
12-18-2003, 10:08 AM
I hope he dies lonely and forgotten far away from the baseball world.
That would be in Montreal.