PDA

View Full Version : If this doesn't go down...

pudge
12-17-2003, 08:26 PM
I'd rather see Maggs stay anyway, then LA will become desperate for offense, in which case we could ship Konerko for Perez. Then we increase our offer to Arthur Rhodes and sign Ponson, or just trade Valentin for Garcia and put Uribe at SS.

I just think there are some options even if this deal doesn't happen. Unless we can lock up Nomar long term, I'm not sure I want any part of it.

JJAustin69
12-17-2003, 08:29 PM
I agree. I think we are getting hosed and Boston is ending up with all the marbles.

delben91
12-17-2003, 08:38 PM
The longer this is drawn out, the less I think any of these trades will actually go through.

SluggersAway
12-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Agreed.

dickallen15
12-17-2003, 08:45 PM
I think it has to go down. MLB cannot have its best player hated at his home park. I would be shocked if this trade didn't go through. Having ARod in Boston would be better for him, the league, and the player's association.

jeremyb1
12-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
I think it has to go down. MLB cannot have its best player hated at his home park. I would be shocked if this trade didn't go through. Having ARod in Boston would be better for him, the league, and the player's association.

It does seem like in a lot of ways it would be hard for either side to turn back at this point.

jabrch
12-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
It does seem like in a lot of ways it would be hard for either side to turn back at this point.

I agree. There is no way Hicks wants A-Rod back after watching him work hard to get a deal to play for someone else. There is no way the Texas fans wouldn't destroy him every AB. Boston HAS TO move Nomar at this point, no matter what. They have been on a collision course with Manny - and he has behaved remarkably, but he has to be gone also.

If the thing falls apart with A-Rod and Boston, I wonder if someone can pick up the pieces? Dodgers interested in Manny? Cubs or Anaheim willing to take on Pay-Rod? Steinbrenner somehow screwing the Red Sox - just becuase he can? What do we have to do at that point? Maggs has been dangled like a hunk of meat - he wouldn't feel too good about returning after knowing we traded him.

I can't believe Selig and the MLBPA would let this thing play out that way.

gogosoxgogo
12-17-2003, 09:24 PM
The problem with this not going through is the MLBPA, not the Rangers or Red Sox. Of course they want the deal to go through, they already agreed on it. This deal now rests with the Red Sox. If they are willing to pay more of A-Rod's salary upfront, this deal will happen. I personally think it will come down to some tight negotiations and will just be squeezed through. All we can do is sit back and wait.

cornball
12-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
The problem with this not going through is the MLBPA, not the Rangers or Red Sox. Of course they want the deal to go through, they already agreed on it. This deal now rests with the Red Sox. If they are willing to pay more of A-Rod's salary upfront, this deal will happen. I personally think it will come down to some tight negotiations and will just be squeezed through. All we can do is sit back and wait.

Seems to me the BoSox are putting the burden on the MLBPA, based on the statement. I agree there is too much at stake for this not to go through.