PDA

View Full Version : Deal to trade Valentin?

MRKARNO
12-17-2003, 06:09 PM
Gammons just said on ESPNews that if we get Nomar, that there is already a deal in place to trade Valentin?

My guess would be to the Mariners for Guillen or Garcia

jeremyb1
12-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Gammons just said on ESPNews that if we get Nomar, that there is already a deal in place to trade Valentin?

Interesting. I feel like we should get good value or take on next to no salary in any deal for Jose. I hope the any possible trade would fit that bill.

SoxxoS
12-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Guillen makes 2.5 million, so that is a 2.5 million dollar "surplus" (For Reiny, of course).

That would be a pretty solid infield if Guillen can play 2B effectively.

jeremyb1
12-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Guillen makes 2.5 million, so that is a 2.5 million dollar "surplus" (For Reiny, of course).

That would be a pretty solid infield if Guillen can play 2B effectively.

That money would've been nice to sign one of the cheaper, more productive free agent outfielders (stairs, white, etc.) but I'm not sure how much is left as far as inexpensive replacements for Maggs go at this time. Maybe after the non-tenders some interesting players will emerge.

SoxOnTop
12-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
That money would've been nice to sign one of the cheaper, more productive free agent outfielders (stairs, white, etc.) but I'm not sure how much is left as far as inexpensive replacements for Maggs go at this time. Maybe after the non-tenders some interesting players will emerge.

I am offically starting the Ellis Burkes bankwagon. :o:

Come take a ride!!!! :gulp:

joecrede
12-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Interesting. I feel like we should get good value or take on next to no salary in any deal for Jose. I hope the any possible trade would fit that bill.

Maybe Gonzalez could be had for around 2M?

Anyway, I was thinking if the Dodgers "steal" Guererro away from the O's might that open another avenue to deal Konerko. I don't see Evans helping out his buddy Williams by taking Konerko off his hands after this Nomar fiasco.

SluggersAway
12-17-2003, 06:58 PM
One word: Pitching.

LauraJ14
12-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by SluggersAway
One word: Pitching.

See Oakland A's with all that pitching and no hitting gets
you no World Series appearances.

jabrch
12-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Maybe Gonzalez could be had for around 2M?

2MM for Juan Gone? I'd do that in a heartbeat. I think he will go much more like 5 than like 2 - and even still I'd take a shot at him.

Brian26
12-17-2003, 07:14 PM

God, I'd think you have to take Garcia in a heartbeat if it's between those two guys being offered.

StepsInSC
12-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
I am offically starting the Ellis Burkes bankwagon. :o:

Come take a ride!!!! :gulp:

I refuse to even drive on the same road that wagon is on.

idseer
12-17-2003, 07:32 PM

if that's the case then who is our shortstop after we trade nomar to la?

Daver
12-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by idseer
if that's the case then who is our shortstop after we trade nomar to la?

Royce Uribe.

jabrch
12-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Royce Uribe.

OMG - Royce Uribe - can you imagine how bad he would be?

Hits like Uribe - fields like Royce... ouch

MHOUSE
12-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Garcia or Guillen would be awesome for Valentin. I like Jose, but he sucks, especially for $5 million. ugh!

soxtalker
12-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Garcia or Guillen would be awesome for Valentin. I like Jose, but he sucks, especially for $5 million. ugh!

OK, so what is the advantage from the Seattle point of view?

oheeoh...magglio
12-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
OK, so what is the advantage from the Seattle point of view?

Good question :?:

Brian26
12-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Jose Valentin's offensive stats look pretty damn good when you pencil him in as your starting second baseman.