PDA

View Full Version : Thought of seeing Maggs in Boston

MHOUSE
12-17-2003, 04:36 PM
:boston
"After years of inconsistency and anonymity on a mediocre White Sox team, Magglio Ordonez has become the best right fielder in baseball all thanks to donning a Red Sox uniform."

I can see it now. Thanks to playing on the east coast in the best division in baseball, Maggs will finally get the credit and media coverage that he has deserved all along. I'll be happy for Magglio and know that some of that fame will be from his days in a Sox uni (at least for me), but it will hurt to see him finally be a nationally known star with someone else.

Huisj
12-17-2003, 04:38 PM
it almost feels like we're the expos. watch a player grow up, get good, then be shipped off into superstardom with another team.

it sucks. i don't know what to think about all of this. especially since we'll really probably only get garciaparra for a year if that.

Huisj
12-17-2003, 04:42 PM
oh crap, i just thought of something else that sucks. i'm in a band, and our bass player and main song writer is a big red sox fan from massechusetts, and he's a typical arrogant one who thinks he's right all the time and gets himself way caught up in the whole have pity on red sox fans crap. he was almost unbearable at the end of last season when they were in the playoffs. i can't imagine what this will make our next few band practices like. he'll be all over me about how much garciaparra is no good anymore and can't turn a double play and how ordonez and foulke are the best two players in baseball, and that adding arod is great and blah blah blah,

and half the time i have to correct him on things that he seemingly makes up to try to prove his points.

why am i in this band? bass player who's a red sox fan, guitar player/lead singer who's a cubs fan.

luckily the drummer is from detroit. he's the only level headed realistic one. if not for him, i think i'd go insane.

Rocky Soprano
12-17-2003, 04:43 PM
I'm sorry but I just cant imagine Magglio playing for another team. Yes the trade makes sense but as a huge Magglio fan it really hurts me to think that he will not be a White Sox next year.

I never even got his autograph. :whiner:

Why of why want management see what they are doing to us? Raise the freaking payroll!!!! :angry:

I'm sorry but I think my days of being a Sox fan are coming to an end very soon. I refuse to sit around, spend my hard earned money, and cheer a team that is run by selfish pricks!

MHOUSE
12-18-2003, 12:02 PM
I want this trade to happen, but I'll miss Maggs a lot.

I hate how nobody wants to play here, everyone wants to leave, and overall we get no credit for anything and no coverage even by the local media. *sigh* Bye Maggs! :whiner:

oheeoh...magglio
12-18-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm all for doing whatever is best for the team, and I have a feeling trading Magglio is best for the team since our cheap ownership won't pay him and give him an extension, but this one hurts. Maggs is my all time favorite white sox, and has been my favorite player on the team since he came up in 1997. (yes i'm only 17, but so what?) I also get the feeling he will rise to superstardom in Boston, and it will hurt to see him get all the credit he deserves in another uniform :(:

miker
12-18-2003, 12:25 PM
The longer this drags on, the more I don't like it.

If Maggs goes, we lose a premier player and as usual, the only people who will remember he was with the White Sox is us hard-core Sox fans. Yes, before you rant, I know he is a free agent and we could lose him for nothing, but I am not particularly excited by any of the potential up-sides in any of the the trade talk either.

If Nomar ends up in Chicago, I wouldn't put good money on him staying long-term, nor would I expect his numbers to be any better than the last two years, which are nothing to sneeze at, but after the injury and out of Fenway, he just isn't as "great".

If Nomar is traded to LA for pitchers that lead us to a World Series win, all is forgiven. Here's me, not holding my breath...

So it comes down to doing nothing and losing, or doing something...and probably still losing. The moral dilemma of being a Sox fan. :(:

If it has to happen, let's get it over with.

Sorry to be so negative. Maybe someone has some insight that would be a glimmer of hope...somebody? Anyone?

Greg1983
12-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Whatever the logic behind the trade, and I readily admit there is logic to it, it hurts to see the identity of your team traded away. And I really think Maggs is a big part of our identity. He's underappreciated but one of the best in the game. A professional, a workman, throw in any other "South Side blue-collar" metaphors you want.

It just bugs me that some teams keep their nucleus intact and build on it to improve, but for a second-rate outfit like the Chairman has given us lo these twenty years or so, we have to trade away big chunks of the nucleus and keep our fingers crossed that there will be some modest, marginal improvement.

If that dirty rat would just spend $70 mill or something realistic, we'd be keeping fan favorites and All-Stars on our team and ADDING pitching, not cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

This one hurts. I salute you, Maggs. Thanks for years of great baseball.

SSN721
12-18-2003, 12:45 PM
I can see it now. Thanks to playing on the east coast in the best division in baseball, Maggs will finally get the credit and media coverage that he has deserved all along. I'll be happy for Magglio and know that some of that fame will be from his days in a Sox uni (at least for me), but it will hurt to see him finally be a nationally known star with someone else.

I cannot agree more, the more I think about I see how it might be better for the team, but it cant help but sadden my heart and bring a tear to my eye to see him go. Goodluck and Godspeed Maggs, you will be greatly missed. :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: