PDA

View Full Version : When Magglio gets into the HOF, which cap will he be wearing?


Hangar18
12-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Im thinking Yankee

jabrch
12-17-2003, 05:25 PM
but I got a bad feeling he signs a long term deal with the CUBS after this year.


and that is about the only way possible I would EVER boo Magglio.

CHISOXFAN13
12-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
but I got a bad feeling he signs a long term deal with the CUBS after this year.


and that is about the only way possible I would EVER boo Magglio.

Sosa's locked up for two more years, so I doubt that would happen. Is a scary thought though.

CHISOXFAN13
12-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Im thinking Yankee

Call me the minority in thinking Maggs never gets into the HOF.

Mammoo
12-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Probably a Yankee cap, because they all end up playing for GS eventually! :smile:

Hangar18
12-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
but I got a bad feeling he signs a long term deal with the CUBS after this year.


and that is about the only way possible I would EVER boo Magglio.

I mentioned this in another thread, and yeah, this troubles me
Nitely thinking about that. Everyone knows how much the cubs covet anything White Sox Related, and the thought of their "fans" chanting OOOO EEE OOOO MAGGG LIOOOOO
disturbs me. Then the Media thinking how cool it is that fans
chant that all the time and how loyal they must really be (despite that the OOeeeOOO thing started when he was a Sox Player.

At that point, and write this down, I'll quit baseball

jabrch
12-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Sosa's locked up for two more years, so I doubt that would happen. Is a scary thought though.

Yeah, but Moises Alou is a FA after this season. And if they make waves in the post season, maybe the Trib will shell out the money needed to permanently remove the hearts and souls from most Sox fans for good.


My prediction, they take the first year of the deal for a lower amount and backload it for 2006 - 2010 after Sammy is gone. They could pay him a boatload of $$$ and they have a young OF named Pie who they expect to take CF from Patterson in 2005.

YUCK

doublem23
12-17-2003, 05:32 PM
At his current pace, I don't know if we can assume Maggs is a Hall of Famer, anyway.

CHISOXFAN13
12-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Yeah, but Moises Alou is a FA after this season. And if they make waves in the post season, maybe the Trib will shell out the money needed to permanently remove the hearts and souls from most Sox fans for good.


My prediction, they take the first year of the deal for a lower amount and backload it for 2006 - 2010 after Sammy is gone. They could pay him a boatload of $$$ and they have a young OF named Pie who they expect to take CF from Patterson in 2005.

YUCK

They had that opportunity this offseason and prefeered to trade for Michael Barret rather than bury the rest of the NL Central by signing Pudge or Lopez.

The Cubs will also have to decide on Wood, too.

Tekijawa
12-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Cubs can afford Maggs, especially if the sign anothe rbig FA this year...

MARK PRIOR will break the bank there after next year, and so will Wood. Patterson Will be set for Arbitration along with zambrano.

jabrch
12-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
They had that opportunity this offseason and prefeered to trade for Michael Barret rather than bury the rest of the NL Central by signing Pudge or Lopez.

The Cubs will also have to decide on Wood, too.


Wood will, assuming A-Rod is gone, almost certainly be priced out of the Cubs range by both Texas and NYY bidding for him. I don't see him staying in Chicago.

Brian26
12-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
At his current pace, I don't know if we can assume Maggs is a Hall of Famer, anyway.

Of course not, for crying out loud. What a ridiculous question to ask in the first place. Maggs needs to put up another 6 years, minimum, of all-star production before he's even considered for the hall. Dumb question by Hangar.

MHOUSE
12-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Wood will, assuming A-Rod is gone, almost certainly be priced out of the Cubs range by both Texas and NYY bidding for him. I don't see him staying in Chicago.

Agreed. Woodsy is gone to FA, especially when they have to start paying Prior, Zambrano etc. real money.

Hangar18
12-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
They had that opportunity this offseason and prefeered to trade for Michael Barret rather than bury the rest of the NL Central by signing Pudge or Lopez.

The Cubs will also have to decide on Wood, too.

What makes you think the Cubs havnt already thought of that
already? They COVET sox players. All the MARKETING for Maggs has been DONE already thanks to the WhiteSox (that alone should make the Chairman Angry) and THAT would be
worth the Millions they throw his way. thats why im fearful.
Maggs is an Awesome Hitter and to think were just going to let
him go away because of our Own Limitations? so what next.
Reed gets good and we dont pay him either and trade him to the up-and-coming Tigers.....

Hangar18
12-17-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Of course not, for crying out loud. What a ridiculous question to ask in the first place. Maggs needs to put up another 6 years, minimum, of all-star production before he's even considered for the hall. Dumb question by Hangar.

I think its safe to say, at his current pace, Magglio will Continue these numbers. Lets revisit this in a few years

MarqSox
12-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
At his current pace, I don't know if we can assume Maggs is a Hall of Famer, anyway.
From baseball-reference.com ...
Gray Ink: Batting - 51 (467) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards: Batting - 26.0 (393) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor: Batting - 66.0 (255) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Considering he's just now hitting his prime, unless he falls off his pace, he'll be a strong candidate.

CHISOXFAN13
12-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I think its safe to say, at his current pace, Magglio will Continue these numbers. Lets revisit this in a few years

His numbers, particularly the homers and RBI, took a big dip last year.

CHISOXFAN13
12-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
What makes you think the Cubs havnt already thought of that
already? They COVET sox players. All the MARKETING for Maggs has been DONE already thanks to the WhiteSox (that alone should make the Chairman Angry) and THAT would be
worth the Millions they throw his way. thats why im fearful.
Maggs is an Awesome Hitter and to think were just going to let
him go away because of our Own Limitations? so what next.
Reed gets good and we dont pay him either and trade him to the up-and-coming Tigers.....

If they covet Sox players as much as you believe they do, then why the hell don't they ever sign any of our free agents.

Enlighten me here.

Hangar18
12-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
From baseball-reference.com ...
Gray Ink: Batting - 51 (467) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards: Batting - 26.0 (393) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor: Batting - 66.0 (255) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Considering he's just now hitting his prime, unless he falls off his pace, he'll be a strong candidate.

These numbers......How do I interpret them? think ive been
staring at this screen too long today

MarqSox
12-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
If they covet Sox players as much as you believe they do, then why the hell don't they ever sign any of our free agents.

Enlighten me here.
Umm ... let's see. Former Sox who were later acquired by the Cubs. For simplicity sake, just since 1997:

Sammy Sosa
Kevin Tapani
Lance Johnson
Matt Karchner
Robert Machado
Jason Bere
Darren Lewis
Kenny Lofton
Josh Paul
Bobby Hill (sorta -- drafted by Sox, never signed)

They also signed Mike Sirotka, who hasn't made the big club yet.

And word is they're looking at Chris Singleton.

Hangar18
12-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Umm ... let's see. Former Sox who were later acquired by the Cubs. For simplicity sake, just since 1997:

Sammy Sosa
Kevin Tapani
Lance Johnson
Matt Karchner
Robert Machado
Jason Bere
Darren Lewis
Kenny Lofton
Josh Paul
Bobby Hill (sorta -- drafted by Sox, never signed)

They also signed Mike Sirotka, who hasn't made the big club yet.

And word is they're looking at Chris Singleton.

I forgot some of these guys....good one marq.

santo=dorf
12-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Umm ... let's see. Former Sox who were later acquired by the Cubs. For simplicity sake, just since 1997:

Sammy Sosa
Kevin Tapani
Lance Johnson
Matt Karchner
Robert Machado
Jason Bere
Darren Lewis
Kenny Lofton
Josh Paul
Bobby Hill (sorta -- drafted by Sox, never signed)

They also signed Mike Sirotka, who hasn't made the big club yet.

And word is they're looking at Chris Singleton.

Not to be a jerk, but Sosa was acquired way before 1997. Is Gary Glover officially a scrub yet?

voodoochile
12-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Umm ... let's see. Former Sox who were later acquired by the Cubs. For simplicity sake, just since 1997:

Sammy Sosa
Kevin Tapani
Lance Johnson
Matt Karchner
Robert Machado
Jason Bere
Darren Lewis
Kenny Lofton
Josh Paul
Bobby Hill (sorta -- drafted by Sox, never signed)

They also signed Mike Sirotka, who hasn't made the big club yet.

And word is they're looking at Chris Singleton.

That's just silly...

Sosa was well before 1997 and he and Karchner both arrived via trades with the Sox.

Tapani, Lewis, Lofton aren't really ex-Sox players (at least not identifiably so).

Machado and Bere were well past their days with the Sox and neither one was exactly a stunning pickup.

Hill never even signed with the Sox, so that seems a real stretch.

doublem23
12-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
What makes you think the Cubs havnt already thought of that
already? They COVET sox players. All the MARKETING for Maggs has been DONE already thanks to the WhiteSox (that alone should make the Chairman Angry) and THAT would be
worth the Millions they throw his way. thats why im fearful.
Maggs is an Awesome Hitter and to think were just going to let
him go away because of our Own Limitations? so what next.
Reed gets good and we dont pay him either and trade him to the up-and-coming Tigers.....

This is ridiculous. How many ex-Sox players are on the Cubs? 1?

doublem23
12-17-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Umm ... let's see. Former Sox who were later acquired by the Cubs. For simplicity sake, just since 1997:

Sammy Sosa
Kevin Tapani
Lance Johnson
Matt Karchner
Robert Machado
Jason Bere
Darren Lewis
Kenny Lofton
Josh Paul
Bobby Hill (sorta -- drafted by Sox, never signed)

They also signed Mike Sirotka, who hasn't made the big club yet.

And word is they're looking at Chris Singleton.

What a behemoth of a team they've assembled then.

MarqSox
12-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That's just silly...

Sosa was well before 1997 and he and Karchner both arrived via trades with the Sox.

I meant players who were on the Cubs' roster 1997 or later. And so what if they were acquired in trade ... it still means the Cubs had to want them.

Brian26
12-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I think its safe to say, at his current pace, Magglio will Continue these numbers. Lets revisit this in a few years

You and me at Puffers....meet you in 2009 :) The cold one is on me.

voodoochile
12-17-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I meant players who were on the Cubs' roster 1997 or later. And so what if they were acquired in trade ... it still means the Cubs had to want them.

The implication was that they wanted them BECAUSE they used to play on the Sox. At least that is what I got from it.

And it's still silly... :D:

MarqSox
12-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The implication was that they wanted them BECAUSE they used to play on the Sox. At least that is what I got from it.

And it's still silly... :D:
I don't care enough to do team-by-team breakdowns, but I would be surprised if there's any former team that is more represented on the Cubs over the past 6 years than the Sox.

voodoochile
12-17-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I don't care enough to do team-by-team breakdowns, but I would be surprised if there's any former team that is more represented on the Cubs over the past 6 years than the Sox.

Okay, but what does it mean? Anything? Or is it just some fun goofy stat?

I want to believe. I want my very own tinfoil hat to wear. Please, tell me what it means... :D:

doogiec
12-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
From baseball-reference.com ...
Gray Ink: Batting - 51 (467) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards: Batting - 26.0 (393) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor: Batting - 66.0 (255) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Considering he's just now hitting his prime, unless he falls off his pace, he'll be a strong candidate.

These are numbers from a Bill James book that attempts to use stats to determine the likelihood of players making the hall of fame.

The only number that is really relevant to an active player in the middle of their career is the HOF Monitor number. According to James, an active player with a current value of around 100 has a good chance at the HOF. 130 and above is a done deal. The way this is calculated it is unlikely to increase unless productivity increases throughout the career compared to early years. In other words, if Mags plays another 8 years at the same pace he currently plays, James does not give him a chance at the HOF. And that makes sense, since the offensive bar is much higher for OF's than some other positions.

For example, Garciappara is rated 115 currently, which makes him a likely HOF'er should he maintain the same performance over the rest of his career. But there is a lot less SS's currently and historically that produce well offensively compared to outfielders, of course.

So if you buy into James' theory, the answer to "What hat will Mags wear into the HOF?" is simple, Whatever hat he happens to be wearing when he gives the cashier his $10 for admittance.