PDA

View Full Version : Sox Will Keep Nomar

PaleHosed
12-17-2003, 04:04 PM
At least according to Peter Gammons...

Mammoo
12-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Quite frankly, I'd just as soon they keep Maggs, figure a way to sign him and build around him.

This is all happening because of that ridiculous $58 million budget!

soltrain21
12-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Hopefully the Sox are just saying that so they can get more for him.

If not, where do we send Jose?

JJAustin69
12-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Nomar is overrated and that arbitrary $58 million salary cap is a load of crap.

Palehose13
12-17-2003, 04:08 PM
:putitontheboard

Dadawg_77
12-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
Hopefully the Sox are just saying that so they can get more for him.

90 feet right

PaleHosed
12-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
90 feet right

And what about Crede?

LuvSox
12-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Quite frankly, I'd just as soon they keep Maggs, figure a way to sign him and build around him.

Amen. No way Garcia-whatever stays past 2004.

soltrain21
12-17-2003, 04:11 PM
90 feet right

Bah...I'd rather trade him for Guillen or Garcia and sign Walker..

Rocky Soprano
Originally posted by PaleHosed
And what about Crede?

Crede stays 90 feet left

Dadawg_77
And what about Crede?

I meant 2b. damn wrong prespective.

valposoxfan
12-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Keeping Nomar really doesn't make any sense. He can't hit on the road, he has a bum wrist, and we don't come out on top of this financially. We need starting pitching and this in no way helps us. It doesn't look like we will get a big name from Seattle when we deal Valentin so we will be saving five million dollars. That is pocket change in baseball. We are in no way coming out on top in this deal. Nomar will not add anything to this team that Maggs didn't have.

Dadawg_77
12-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Crede stays 90 feet left

It depends, from us looking at them yes. But if Jose was playing SS Crede would be to his right.

Rocky Soprano
12-17-2003, 04:14 PM
It depends, from us looking at them yes. But if Jose was playing SS Crede would be to his right.

True.

Why you trying to confuse us? :D:

Just say second, ss, and third!

Dadawg_77
12-17-2003, 04:15 PM
True.

Just say second, ss, and third!

I didn't think about it when I posted it. [dadwg crying in anguish] I was just trying to be clever [/dadawg crying in anguish]

MRKARNO
12-17-2003, 04:17 PM

To weed out the true sox fans
:)

PaleHosed
12-17-2003, 04:18 PM
I think one of the benefits of this deal is that it opens up options...

Valentine can be dealt or unloaded to free up the 5 mil which can help with getting another starting pitcher or fill other holes

With Nomar taken it's one less option for the Dodgers which may make them more willing to take Konerko.

there are more...but you get the jist of what i'm saying.

-Al-

SluggersAway
12-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Nomar has a bum wrist and his attitude sucks. He has an air of holier-than-thou where his **** smells so much finer than yours...

The sox should not keep him.

Hangar18
12-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

This is all happening because of that ridiculous $58 million budget!

*************POST OF THE YEAR*******************
And Im not laughing when I say that :whiner:

joecrede
12-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Keep Nomar, deal Valentin and Lee to Seattle for Guillen and Garcia:

Reed LF
Guillen 2B
Thomas 1B
Nomar SS
J.Gonz RF
Konerko DH
Crede 3b
Harris/RowandCF
Olivo C

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garcia
Garland

Marte
Williamson
Koch
Ginter
Sanders

Payroll $59M

valposoxfan
12-17-2003, 04:22 PM
So joecrede...no fifth starter huh?

Over By There
12-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Keeping Nomar really doesn't make any sense. He can't hit on the road, he has a bum wrist, and we don't come out on top of this financially.

Not to mention we'll have to endure 162 games watching him do that silly dance in the batters box and his whole obsessive/compulsive batting glove thing. :smile:

Daver
12-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Over By There
Not to mention we'll have to endure 162 games watching him do that silly dance in the batters box and his whole obsessive/compulsive batting glove thing. :smile:

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

thecell
12-17-2003, 04:26 PM
At least according to Peter Gammons...

I wonder what his wife Mia Hamm has to say.
http://www.creakyjoints.com/go/images/0012hamm8l.jpg
"I want him to go to Chicago"

Over By There
12-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Thanks! Glad I found y'all. My thirst for White Sox talk is great, as I'm sure it is with everyone else. Go Sox.

jabrch
12-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Who's on First?

jabrch
12-17-2003, 04:28 PM
I wonder what his wife Mia Hamm has to say.
http://www.creakyjoints.com/go/images/0012hamm8l.jpg
"Be vewwy vewwy kwiet. We hunting wabbits"

soltrain21
12-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Over By There

Don't forget about Paulie's crazy stuff he does...Sox might set records for the longest games in history..

Brian26
12-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21

It's called second base.

Clembasbal
12-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Keeping Nomar really doesn't make any sense. He can't hit on the road, he has a bum wrist, and we don't come out on top of this financially. We need starting pitching and this in no way helps us. It doesn't look like we will get a big name from Seattle when we deal Valentin so we will be saving five million dollars. That is pocket change in baseball. We are in no way coming out on top in this deal. Nomar will not add anything to this team that Maggs didn't have.

Two things I guess...I went to Valpo and graduated last May...I was a SigEp. Good to see not all people that go there are Preppy Northside Fans.

Second, I do feel that Outfielders are a dime a dozen, and that if we can lock up Nomar it would be way better than Magglio. We can find anybody to fill his spot, but for the 2nd best SS in baseball I say you can but that on the board !

Foulke You
12-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by SluggersAway
Nomar has a bum wrist and his attitude sucks. He has an air of holier-than-thou where his **** smells so much finer than yours...

I have no idea where you base his "bad attitude" on. I've never gotten that impression of Nomar from what I've seen and read. The Boston fans loved him as he was easily the most popular player on the Red Sox. Manny on the other hand is of the holier than thou mold and the Boston fans didn't warm up to him at all.

Give "Nomah" a chance before you pass judgement.

SoxxoS
12-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Is anyone else worried about:

The splits away from Fenway

and

The talk that he doesn't want to be in Chicago.

Anyone?

Foulke You
12-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Is anyone else worried about:

The splits away from Fenway

and

The talk that he doesn't want to be in Chicago.

Anyone?

The splits away from Fenway don't bother me because it was limited to 2003 only. His 2002 splits were much closer together and his splits at Comiskey Park weren't too shabby either.

I haven't read/heard anything that he DOESN'T want to be in Chicago. I heard that he preferred going to the west coast but I haven't heard anything about not wanting to be on the White Sox...yet. Hopefully, assuming we keep him, he'll warm up to the city and the fans and want to stay.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2003, 05:39 PM
The reason they are considering keeping Nomar is because his agent Arn Tellum, is the only agent that I know of who gets along with Uncle Jerry.

The two have a long cordial history since many of Tellum's clients played for the Bulls. The Sox think they have a chance to sign Nomar to a long term deal because of that relationship.

It all looks like water under the bridge anyway with the union rejecting A-Rod's new proposed deal.

Lip

Unregistered
12-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The reason they are considering keeping Nomar is because his agent Arn Tellum, is the only agent that I know of who gets along with Uncle Jerry. I skipped over large parts of this thread so forgive me if this has already been said: this might be crazy/far-fetched, but maybe, just maybe the Sox & JR would much rather invest a lot of money into a long term contract with someone who was more marketable than Magglio.
If Nomar is the All-American boy who speaks perfect english and puts up numbers as big as Maggs, I can see the Sox making more of an effort to keep a guy like that around. Not to say that Maggs isn't a fan favorite, cause he definately is, but similar to a Vlad Guerrero, he quietly puts up huge numbers when he should be moving into superstar status. Maggs isn't going to be doing bunny hops or blowing kisses at the camera, and as good as that is for his credibility as a ballplayer, it might not be so great in terms of his ''marketability''.
Marketability sells tickets and makes you an attraction, and Maggs isn't one to really put on a show. I can see Nomar (if he cared to) really being embraced by this city, much more so than Maggs, who is a great player and I'm sure a great person, just not too much of a "showman", per se. I'd bet that a lot of that "x-factor" plays largely into the reason why the Sox won't be giving Maggs an extension (or the extension that he wants) and why they'd consider doing it for a man who isn't even on their roster yet. Just my two cents...

jordan23ventura
12-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by SluggersAway

S*** only stinks when it's on the field. Remember the Jimenez move?

Nothing about this trade upsets me. Consider what everyone on this board was thinking when everyone found out how little payroll KW had to work with. We all thought Maggs would be dumped for a few prospects just to sign a few key cogs of the team we already had, but now we get Williamson and Nomar. All considering, how is either situation (with Boston or LA) bad?