PDA

View Full Version : White Sox offered Rhodes a contract

MRKARNO
12-17-2003, 04:34 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/17/SPGK33OSFS1.DTL

Rhodes was weighing offers from the White Sox and Braves, too, but Horwits said, "I would say that the A's are definitely the front-runners.''

It sounds like the bullpen is a priority for KW

voodoochile
12-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/17/SPGK33OSFS1.DTL

It sounds like the bullpen is a priority for KW

It better be unless he finds two more starting pitchers soon...

DrCrawdad
12-17-2003, 04:40 PM
http://www.weekender.co.jp/images/tuffy_poster.jpg
The Sox offered Tuffy Rhodes a contract?

Brian26
12-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
http://www.weekender.co.jp/images/tuffy_poster.jpg
The Sox offered Tuffy Rhodes a contract?

Actually they offered Dusty Rhodes a contract. Hopefully some of his extra plunder will help the bullpen.

kittle42
12-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Actually they offered Dusty Rhodes a contract. Hopefully some of his extra plunder will help the bullpen.

It would certainly take them to the pay window.

jordan23ventura
12-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

It would certainly take them to the pay window.

hahahaha. hillarious.

he could come out of the bullpen in black and yellow polka dots.

Paid Santiago
12-18-2003, 05:12 PM
HOPEFULLY we get him

JaylisJP
12-18-2003, 05:16 PM
the bullpen's not a priority for KW, it's all he can afford to change at this point. Somewhat of a difference, let's not give him any intelligence credit.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-19-2003, 12:26 AM
Guess were not getting him as he signed with the A's.

I am curious about all these contracts we offer players that no one seems to accept. I mean, are these competitive contracts? We could offer a low-ball contract to every single free agent and then be able to say, "But we offerred them a contract. We're doing something." What is this management group doing to improve this team?

RedPinStripes
12-19-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Brian26

That's exactly what i thought when i saw the title of this thread. :D:

CubKilla
12-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
What is this management group doing to improve this team?

By our continued inactivity this offseason, the answer is obvious.

Nothing.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2003, 12:32 AM
White Sox says: ""But we offerred them a contract. We're doing something."

I think you answered your own question in your post. It PR and nothing more, the Sox offer deals... only they seem to be loaded with deferred money and incentives. Players know they can get real money up front from other teams and go there instead.

That's what happens when you are a small market club!

Lip

MHOUSE
12-19-2003, 12:35 AM
All KW can say is that we offered them a contract, but due to our self-imposed budget, we couldn't outbid the other teams in the league. This is a pathetic excuse for a management system complaining about fans not coming out to games. Losing all your free agents, not signing any marquee new ones, and then making excuses like small-market budgets and "offers" is awful. This team is going nowhere fast.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2003, 12:38 AM
Mhouse says: "This team is going nowhere fast.

Ssshhhh....not so loud or the optimists will come after you!

Lip

RedPinStripes
12-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
White Sox says: ""But we offerred them a contract. We're doing something."

I think you answered your own question in your post. It PR and nothing more, the Sox offer deals... only they seem to be loaded with deferred money and incentives. Players know they can get real money up front from other teams and go there instead.

That's what happens when you are a small market club!

Lip

Lip, why dont you ever use the quote feature? Just curious. :smile:

Lip Man 1
12-19-2003, 12:48 AM
Two reasons:

1. I don't know how

2. This just makes it a little different and perhaps more noticeable.

Lip

RedPinStripes
12-19-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Two reasons:

1. I don't know how

2. This just makes it a little different and perhaps more noticeable.

Lip

I can understand #2, but not #1 .

O well, it was an answer. :)

StillMissOzzie
12-19-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
All KW can say is that we offered them a contract, but due to our self-imposed budget, we couldn't outbid the other teams in the league. This is a pathetic excuse for a management system complaining about fans not coming out to games. Losing all your free agents, not signing any marquee new ones, and then making excuses like small-market budgets and "offers" is awful. This team is going nowhere fast.

As I've mentioned before, this club is notorious for making offers they know are low and sure to be topped, and/or loaded with deferred $$$, and then claiming , "We tried!"

Going nowhere would actually be an improvement. After losing 6 FA's, signing none, and nothing but rumors on the trade front, we still haven't stopped the bleeding.

SMO