PDA

View Full Version : Jason Stumm

LongDistanceFan
09-03-2001, 12:12 PM
Jason Strumm is again pitching and we will see more of him in the AZL league. Man if he can get some of of his heat back. Before the surgery, he was 97-99 mph w/an occansional 100. I can't wait to see how he is after the surgery.

Bmr31
09-03-2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
Jason Strumm is again pitching and we will see more of him in the AZL league. Man if he can get some of of his heat back. Before the surgery, he was 97-99 mph w/an occansional 100. I can't wait to see how he is after the surgery.

why is it all of our young stud pitching prospects seem to need surgery?????

delben91
09-03-2001, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

why is it all of our young stud pitching prospects seem to need surgery?????

You know, I'm beginning to think that it's part of our standard draft pick contract. You know, signing bonus, spring training invite, arm surgery of your choice (labrum, tommy john, etc.) Maybe someone should look into changing that policy

:)

Bmr31
09-03-2001, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by delben91

You know, I'm beginning to think that it's part of our standard draft pick contract. You know, signing bonus, spring training invite, arm surgery of your choice (labrum, tommy john, etc.) Maybe someone should look into changing that policy

:)

lol, 100 mph pitchers dont come around often, and ours have to come off surgery.............

LongDistanceFan
09-03-2001, 12:39 PM

why is it all of our young stud pitching prospects seem to need surgery????? Randar probably can come up w/the stat ref to other clubs.

But imo, these pitcher are expected to pit hard, know how to throw different pitches at an early age and arm that was over used.

Bmr31
09-03-2001, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
Randar probably can come up w/the stat ref to other clubs.

But imo, these pitcher are expected to pit hard, know how to throw different pitches at an early age and arm that was over used.

I find it very hard to believe other clubs have the same amount of trouble with their prospects. First of all, they dont have the # of prospects we do. I think we just have bad luck,or we are doing something wrong, throughout the organization. Im hoping its just bad luck......

LongDistanceFan
09-03-2001, 12:43 PM

Im hoping its just bad luck...... i think so or would like to hope so as well.

Randar68
09-04-2001, 02:03 PM
I find it very hard to believe other clubs have the same amount of trouble with their prospects. First of all, they dont have the # of prospects we do. I think we just have bad luck,or we are doing something wrong, throughout the organization. Im hoping its just bad luck......

Well, on a major league level, some tended to think our pitchers were overused in the heat of a pennant chase last year, and some likely pitched through injuries that could have been healed by rest, but resulted in needing surgery, nothing you can really do there....

On the other hand, I have noticed this trend, and it's not just with the Sox. There are very few upper-90's pitchers that can throw that hard while not being a "max-effort" pitcher (Kerry Wood) and putting TONS of strain on the shoulder and elbow.

Every year, I would guess each organization loses 1 pitcher to Tommy John Surgery, and maybe 1-2 others to shoulder ailments as an average.

We hold to that pretty well, and in the past, we've seen even less. Unfortunately, you have to draft on talent, physical potential, and mental approach. Physical talent is greatly dependant on how a kid throws, and many times, they throw with poor mechanics and it costs them. In today's medical world, Tommy John Surgery costs you essentially 2 years (1 in rehab, 1 pitching less than 100% or without breaking pitches), but in that time, and especially coming back from it in your 1st year back, you either have to learn how to be a pitcher, not a thrower, or you fade away....

I'm not too concerned with it. It is curious that so many pitchers have come away with similar shoulder sugeries, and we'll find out in the next year or 2 if it's a recurring problem with something within the organization, or just a freak, "it all evens out in the end" type of thing...

Just my opinion...

dimaisback
09-04-2001, 02:12 PM
Yes, somewthing is definately wrong with the way young pitchers are being developed throughout major leagues. It is surprising considering the Sox FORCE youngsters not to throw as hard especially when they jion the big club (Barcelo, Garland, Wright, Ginter have ALL lost about a couple of miles off their fastballs)

As far as Stumm goes, he NEVER threw 100 mph, nor 99, nor 98....he was, for the most part, 92-96, occasionally reaching 97 ala Denny Wright.

LongDistanceFan
09-04-2001, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by dimaisback
Yes, somewthing is definately wrong with the way young pitchers are being developed throughout major leagues. It is surprising considering the Sox FORCE youngsters not to throw as hard especially when they jion the big club (Barcelo, Garland, Wright, Ginter have ALL lost about a couple of miles off their fastballs)

As far as Stumm goes, he NEVER threw 100 mph, nor 99, nor 98....he was, for the most part, 92-96, occasionally reaching 97 ala Denny Wright. If that is correct, then i stand corrected. I was basing my info on articles that i read from several yrs ago.

Baseball america now has him as throwing 96-97 mph. and the article i remembered stated after the draft and before the injury he reached the 100 mph.

So i really don't know. If you know the real truth, i will give in to this, my info are based on articles, where did u get your info?