PDA

View Full Version : Should we keep Nomar?

jeremyb1
12-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Should we keep Nomar and hope to sign him to an extension or attempt to trade him to LA or another club for pitching?

hold2dibber
12-17-2003, 12:45 PM
I'd trade him for pitching and then try to trade for Everett or get some other moderatively priced outfielder who can provide a .825 OPS, 25 HRs and 85 RBIs out of RF. If they decide to keep him, they've got to try to peddle Valentin for pitching.

Foulke You
We should keep Nomar. The guy is one of the best Shortstops in the game today and he is the magnetic personality this team needs to lure more casual fans, not to mention prevent a PR disaster for letting Maggs go.

Letting Maggs go and only getting Williamson and Odalis Perez in return would leave Sox fans feeling empty. Nomar takes the sting away from that. I for one am leading the "Keep Nomar in Chicago" charge.

jabrch
We have to get him before we can keep him, right?

Frank the Tank
12-17-2003, 12:48 PM
KEEP HIM!!!!

hold2dibber
12-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Should we keep Nomar and hope to sign him to an extension or attempt to trade him to LA or another club for pitching?

What do you think Jeremy?

davenicholson
12-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Is this just assuming that we *will* get him, or have I missed another official announcement? :?:

jeremyb1
12-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
What do you think Jeremy?

I'd say trade him. Valentin and Nomar are both well above average hitting shortstops who will lose their value if moved to another position. Nomar is the better of the two but not but as much as most people assume. Nomar's trade value is much, much higher.

If we're able to make a deal like the proposed L.A. deal and net Perez, Mota, and Williamson we've shored up our pen, taken steps to improve the rotation, and we have 7 or 8 million left to sign Ponson, a replacement for Maggs, or fill holes at 2B and center.

Perhaps most problematic of all, we can't afford Nomar. Rumors we're confident we can sign him longterm have to be a smoke screen to increase our leveredge. We've seen the difficulty of having a player getting paid 14 million for one season on our roster for one season. Signing Nomar to a long term deal for 15 million a season, which he's not worth, would be insane unless JR sees a PR opportunity and decides to substantially boost payroll.

hold2dibber
12-17-2003, 12:59 PM
I'd say trade him. Valentin and Nomar are both well above average hitting shortstops who will lose their value if moved to another position. Nomar is the better of the two but not but as much as most people assume. Nomar's trade value is much, much higher.

If we're able to make a deal like the proposed L.A. deal and net Perez, Mota, and Williamson we've shored up our pen, taken steps to improve the rotation, and we have 7 or 8 million left to sign Ponson, a replacement for Maggs, or fill holes at 2B and center.

Perhaps most problematic of all, we can't afford Nomar. Rumors we're confident we can sign him longterm have to be a smoke screen to increase our leveredge. We've seen the difficulty of having a player getting paid 14 million for one season on our roster for one season. Signing Nomar to a long term deal for 15 million a season, which he's not worth, would be insane unless JR sees a PR opportunity and decides to substantially boost payroll.

Well said.

spanishwhite
12-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Pitching is more valuable than hitting.

If we trade Nomar we will have something we havent had in a long while... an overabundance of pitching.

There are quality hitters all around but quality pitchers are harder to find.

Besides that, why make a lateral trade that doesnt improve the team especially when you all know (or should know) that JR is not going to sign Nomar long term for 15 mil per yr like he could get.

Baby Fisk
12-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Trade him. His postseason performance was indicative that he's at the start of his decline. Plus Ozzie will drive him loco (Nomar does his own thing and doesn't need a manager yammering at him to perform. Grady Little left him alone. Not that THAT seemed to work, but...)

duke of dorwood
12-17-2003, 01:49 PM
He's offense & defense we do not have at that position-keep him.

Nick@Nite
12-17-2003, 01:50 PM
The Sox should make every effort to keep Mr. Hamm around. If we're lucky, he'll go into the HOF wearing a Real Sox hat while Maggs will surely go into the HOF wearing the Bean Sox hat.

Win1ForMe
12-17-2003, 01:51 PM
To me, this trade ONLY makes sense if we are to trade Nomar (and Konerko) to LA for pitching. Magglio is the better player, costs almost the same amount of money, and is as difficult to resign as Nomar.

If the Sox really do want to resign Nomar long-term, then why not just do the same with Magglio? I have a hard time figuring out what the plan is (...unless it's just Kenny trying to screw with Dan Evans).

The worst possible thing to do is to keep Nomar and let him walk at the end of the season. That would be completely unacceptable.

Palehose13
12-17-2003, 01:52 PM
I hope someone in the organization sees this poll. I think Nomar would significantly increase attendance...

maurice
12-17-2003, 02:32 PM
I agree that Nomar is overrated, but I'd rather keep him unless KW has no better way of adding a good starter. I'd prefer to modestly increase the payroll to sign Ponson, deal Konerko for Perez, or free up cash by dealing Valentin to Seattle. They apparently are in the market for overpriced, old SSs.

Foulke You
12-17-2003, 02:55 PM
To respond to some of the comments of "why make the trade if we aren't going to trade Nomar". The reason you make the trade is that Nomar is one of the best at his positions in all of baseball. he is arguably the second best shortstop in the game behind A-Rod. Maggs is my favorite player but power hitting corner outfielders are easier to find than a shortstop of Nomar's caliber.

ondafarm
12-17-2003, 03:47 PM
If we get Nomar, and thats a big IF, then why on earth would we consider trading him? He's a solid defensive shortstop, arguably the most important defensive position and he's got quite a bat as well. I actually can't see why Boston is considering getting rid of him, AROD is an upgrade, but not a huge one.

SluggersAway
12-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Nomar is vastly overrated, has a bum wrist etc. We wont sign him to an extension anyway.

Why dont we forget about nomar and just try to trade mags for pitching, if mags really has to go?

Jjav829
12-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Ok, so if we do get Nomar, can I continue to pronounce his name in a Bostonian accent? Or do I have to stop that since hes no longer in Boston? :smile:

I'm torn on this trade. On one hand, I am a huge Nomar fan. Hes my favorite non White Sox player so I would be extremely excited if we got him. Normally my favorite teams don't deal for my favorite players from other teams so this is pretty rare. I was extremely excited to hear that the whole Nomar talk wasn't made up. On the other hand, if 1.)he truly isn't going to be happy here, 2.)we have no chance at signing him long term, and 3.) we can get Mota, Miller, and Perez as well as Williamson, then we might have to trade him.

doublem23
12-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Ok, so if we do get Nomar, can I continue to pronounce his name in a Bostonian accent? Or do I have to stop that since hes no longer in Boston? :smile:

Hells yeah we get to do the "Nomah!" thing.

Thunderstruck30
12-17-2003, 06:23 PM
I dont know. Both options seem good and will have their benefits.

shbart
12-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Keep Nomar. If you do trade him, why the Dodgers? I like Odalis Perez, but don't you think that's selling Nomar a bit short (pardon the pun). Why not open up to other teams...I bet the Cubs will give us Prior just so they don't lose the sports section headline for more than one day

Realist
12-17-2003, 06:55 PM
If Nomar were ours from the get-go, Nomar for Miller, Williams, Perez and Williamson would sound great if we could land a decent fielding left handed hitting shortstop with some pop in his bat. We already have Valentin so I say trade away.

Next, we unload Paulie's contract, land Ponson, and shore up 2nd and center.

BTW, no Mags? Does that mean they expect Jeremy Reed to be ready in April??