PDA

View Full Version : A question from Otis.

otis
12-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Do I get Poster of the year?

I am not Jerry Reinsdorf, but I could be Kenny williams. Or maybe Peter Gammons tired of being bashed on WSI.

SoxRulecubsdrool
12-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by otis

Yes, you do. I will send you a large poster with 2003 on it.
Good job!!! :smile:

MikeKreevich
12-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Good King Otis. Don't throw your shoulder out patting yourself on the back.

miker
12-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Or maybe Peter Gammons tired of being bashed on WSI.

You certainly are as full of yourself as Gammons is...

idseer
12-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by MikeKreevich

you said it.

otis
12-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Maybe I will take my insight and ride off in the sunset never to be heard from again.

I am having fun with this. Mostly because I initially got blasted for posting.

jabrch
12-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by idseer
you said it.

Hey - dont knock him - he had the juice long before any of us - and proved to be directionally correct so far. Yeah, we are tired of hearing him remind us, but if it all comes to fruition as he says, I will give him poster of the year for sure!

BeerHandle
12-17-2003, 01:48 PM

I am not Jerry Reinsdorf, but I could be Kenny williams. Or maybe Peter Gammons tired of being bashed on WSI.

Alright Otis King, ESPN News is reporting the deal is going down now and should be complete by 3:00 p..m EST. What do you know?

Hokiesox
12-17-2003, 01:49 PM
He sounds like Reinsy. Full of himself, but somehow "in the know."

Brian26
12-17-2003, 01:50 PM
I say Otis is actually HSC in disguise.

Unregistered
12-17-2003, 01:52 PM
I am not Jerry Reinsdorf, but I could be Kenny williams. Heh, I'm completely convinced that KW is sitting at a computer hoping to get "poster of the year" on WSI instead of working on these supposed blockbuster deals... :D:

Palehose13
12-17-2003, 01:55 PM

You got my vote. I am just hoping the scenarios I like are the ones that happen.

Foulke You
12-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Otis has my vote for poster of the year. WSI has known about the Nomar/Maggs scenario for a couple weeks now thanks to Otis. You should have heard the surprise in the voices of the radio announcers this morning when the deal scenario was announced. The media is scrambling now to catch up to what we've all been talking about for weeks here at WSI.

Keep on sticking your shoulder out to be patted Otis. Foulke You will be right there patting it.

idseer
12-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Hey - dont knock him - he had the juice long before any of us - and proved to be directionally correct so far. Yeah, we are tired of hearing him remind us, but if it all comes to fruition as he says, I will give him poster of the year for sure!

personally i don't care. what will happen with the sox will happen whether or not otis ever says another word. having someone beg for hero recognition makes me ill.

Foulke You
12-17-2003, 02:10 PM
personally i don't care. what will happen with the sox will happen whether or not otis ever says another word. having someone beg for hero recognition makes me ill.

No, but as a Sox fan, I get a kick out of knowing what my team is going to do before the national and local media even gets wind of it. That is why we all come to WSI, isn't it? To talk White Sox baseball? Well, why not get a head start on everyone else?

Tekijawa
12-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Actually Otis wasn't the First to break the News... it was Cheeses who posted the the original News.... which has since been retired to the parking lot!

[rumor -- rumor -- rumor] big deal coming?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26584

CHEESES for poster of the year, Otis you were trumped by a few weeks!

santo=dorf
12-17-2003, 02:22 PM
:boston

"I don't think I'm King Otis."

BackInBlack
12-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Without question:

Otis = Poster of the Year

IF this all shakes out (which I believe it will).

pearso66
12-17-2003, 02:36 PM
well if the reports on the union rejecting the A-rod contract change, this could all be off. Then what? Would he still be considered poster of the year?

RichH55
12-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by MikeKreevich

Actually its the labrum you need to worry about....AND it ain't cocky if you can back it up!

Otis, my thanks go out to you

You have my vote, but then again, so did Al Gore, so take it with a grain of salt

SoxxoS
12-17-2003, 03:07 PM
Maybe I will take my insight and ride off in the sunset never to be heard from again.

Don't leave, Otis.

We have had a lot of people say that they had inside info before, and they haven't had anything to add. So, we have to be skeptical.

34 Inch Stick
12-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Otis, you did a fantastic job. I'll give you poster of the year.

As far as you going away, I don't think we lose a single thing. By your own admission you have knowledge of Boston and that is it. I doubt we will be seeing anything of a similar importance occuring between the two sox for a long time.

Thank you. We would like you to continue to participate. If not, see you in the playoffs.

Dadawg_77
12-17-2003, 03:33 PM

Question why do this? I really don't care if people post rumors or what not. But you will always have people who do not believe the rumors no matter what forum you use, so anyone who post a rumor and expects everyone else to believe the rumor or kiss their ass after they post a rumor is just not thinking clearly. But if you ever post another rumor and for some reason it doesn't happen, well now you just increased the backlash with this post.

Also it takes more then 11 post to get poster of the year, if there is such an award.

steff
12-17-2003, 06:16 PM
I have a question for you Otis.... what's with the suggestion that the Sox are getting Carl back.. is it not true that this is not possible because after you sign a FreeAgent you can't trade until after June 16th...?

otis
12-17-2003, 06:24 PM
I have no idea about the June 16th deadline. I don't think that would be the case but I could be wrong. This is what I posted yesterday to that question

My Boston guy told me that they were shocked that Carl went to Montreal for the money that he signed for because he wanted to stay in Chicago and Chicago wanted him. (Keep in mind that they dealt with Everett for 2 years) He also said that there was no way KW could sign him before the arbitration date because he had too many trade talks in place to know what kind of team would be assembled. He expected Everett to sign with a contender for bargain money and when the Montreal deal took place he told me he wouldn't be suprised at all to see Everett traded back to the Sox for a minor leaguer if the Ordonez deal goes through because the sgning didn't make sense to him. He also pointed out KW's close relationship with Omar Minaya. Keep in mind that my contact is "Boston" and his insight into the WSox that don't involve them is "Educated Speculation"

steff
12-17-2003, 06:26 PM
I have no idea about the June 16th deadline. I don't think that would be the case but I could be wrong. This is what I posted yesterday to that question

Can anyone help me out with the 6/16 date..? Firewall won't let me access any of the sports sites to check it out.

And it's not a deadline. It's a "you can't trade this player until after this date" IIFC.

Man Soo Lee
12-17-2003, 06:29 PM
what's with the suggestion that the Sox are getting Carl back.. is it not true that this is not possible because after you sign a FreeAgent you can't trade until after June 16th...?

The Everett stuff was just speculation, but can anyone cite evidence of this rule you refer to?

Lip Man 1
12-17-2003, 06:30 PM
With the union rejecting the renegotiation of A-Rod's deal it all looks like a moot point anyway. The Tribune had the story on it on its web site. The parties will meet again tomorrow but with Hicks' 6PM EST deadline the odds are pretty long now that it will happen.

The story quotes Gene Orza as saying the union can only allow renegotiated deals that help the players, not their teams. He made a different offer to Boston about A-Rod that would be approved by the union but Boston wouldn't go for it.

Lip

doublem23
12-17-2003, 06:31 PM

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. If I had a dollar for every trade I heard about on these boards alone that never panned out, I'd be out of debt. If you're going to cry and run because people are skeptical, meh, I'll find a way to go on.

MRKARNO
12-17-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
With the union rejecting the renegotiation of A-Rod's deal it all looks like a moot point anyway. The Tribune had the story on it on its web site. The parties will meet again tomorrow but with Hicks' 6PM EST deadline the odds are pretty long now that it will happen.

The story quotes Gene Orza as saying the union can only allow renegotiated deals that help the players, not their teams. He made a different offer to Boston about A-Rod that would be approved by the union but Boston wouldn't go for it.

Lip

It's selig's deadline, not hicks

cornball
12-17-2003, 06:34 PM

Lip

Even if the player wants it? What about Arod's happiness (if traded) that benefits him or is it just financial?

doublem23
12-17-2003, 06:39 PM

Lip

Depends on which liars you choose to believe. Gammons was just on Sportscenter and said this deal was at worst, 60/40 in favor of it going down.

I'll believe it when I see it.

doublem23
12-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Even if the player wants it? What about Arod's happiness (if traded) that benefits him or is it just financial?

It's financial. You think the MLBPA is going to put their war with the owners on hold just so A-Rod and Nomar don't have ill feelings towards their teams? They're the strongest union in sports, if not the country, they're going to pretty much get what they want.

Dadawg_77
12-17-2003, 06:48 PM

The MLBPA doesn't want to have deal change for just the benefit of the owners since it would set a precedent. So this issue isnít about just A Rod but how owner and players work together overall. This isnít a deal breaker so far, just means both sides have to work a little more to make it work.

The consensus is something here has to happen since the Rangers and Red Sox have travel to far to go back at this point.

faneidde
12-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Otis, my man!

RedPinStripes
12-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It's selig's deadline, not hicks

Why is Selig even sticking his nose in it? He should worry about his minor league payroll and lying to the surrounding counties of Milaukee.

OfficerKarkovice
12-17-2003, 07:09 PM

Lip

Go figure that post is from Lip...some things never change.

MRKARNO
12-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Why is Selig even sticking his nose in it? He should worry about his minor league payroll and lying to the surrounding counties of Milaukee.

Gammons kinda explained it. It's because once they start talking about finalizing a deal and restructuring contracts, he will usually set a 72 hour deadline so that things like this dont drag on for weeks, thus holding up potential moves by other teams. If you'll notice, there were no moves at all pretty much today because everyone is waiting for this deal to go down or to not go down. We're waiting because we're directly involved. Seattle is waiting because they need a shortstop and valentin might be what they want. Many other teams are waiting because they might want to trade for any of the players mentioned. It's a waiting game and without this deadline, nothing would get done

Daver
12-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

The commisioner has to approve any trade that involves more than 20 mil.

RedPinStripes
12-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Gammons kinda explained it. It's because once they start talking about finalizing a deal and restructuring contracts, he will usually set a 72 hour deadline so that things like this dont drag on for weeks, thus holding up potential moves by other teams. If you'll notice, there were no moves at all pretty much today because everyone is waiting for this deal to go down or to not go down. We're waiting because we're directly involved. Seattle is waiting because they need a shortstop and valentin might be what they want. Many other teams are waiting because they might want to trade for any of the players mentioned. It's a waiting game and without this deadline, nothing would get done

That makes sense.

Realist
12-17-2003, 07:39 PM
"Otis... plug it in."

(50 bonus points to anybody that knows what movie this quote is from)

RedPinStripes
12-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Realist
"Otis... plug it in."

Do i get 50 points toward poster of the year?

idseer
12-17-2003, 08:20 PM
"Otis... plug it in."

return to mayberry! aint bea explaining to otis why the toaster isn't working.

idseer
12-17-2003, 08:21 PM
"Otis... plug it in."

ok then ..... how about 'henry'?

SluggersAway
12-17-2003, 08:37 PM
I guess my last post was censored.

so let me just say:

Otis is very overrated and his ego is vastly inflated.

minastirith67
12-17-2003, 08:41 PM
return to mayberry! aint bea explaining to otis why the toaster isn't working.

Milo and Otis?

steff
12-17-2003, 09:40 PM
The Sox can't touch Carl until June 15th of 2004, NO MATTER WHAT.

From General Transaction Rules

Free Agency and Compensation

A player that has accrued 6 complete years or more of service time at the end of a season and does not have a contract is eligible for filing for free agency, after which the player can sign with any team he wants.

To receive compensation for a player that signs with another team, the team must offer the player salary arbitration.

The team must offer salary arbitration to the player by December 7 or will not be allowed to negotiate with or sign the player until the following May 1. After arbitration is offered, the player has until December 19 to either accept or refuse salary arbitration. If it is refused, the player can only negotiate with the club until January 7th, after which no more negotiation can take place until May 1.

The compensation formula is based off a negotiated formula, heavy on triple crown stats, for the previous 2 seasons. Type A players are those that rank in the top 30% of his position. Type B players are those that rank below top 30% but still in the top 50%. Type C players are those that rank in the top 60% but not the top 50%.

A type players fetch the 1st-round draft pick of teams in the top half of W-L record or a 2nd-round draft pick of teams in the bottom half of W-L record and an additional pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds. B types don't get the sandwich pick and C type players fetch a sandwich between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The higher the player's ranking in the compensation formula, the higher priority the old team gets in acquiring draft picks.

Something that's never mentioned is that there are still limits to the type of free agents that teams may sign.

If there are 14 or less type A and B players available, no team may sign more than 1 type A or B player. If there are 15-38 available A and B players, no team may sign more than 2. From 39-62 this becomes 3. The club quota increases accordingly for higher totals of available free agents. There is no maximum allowed for type C free agents. Lastly, a team can sign up to as many type A and B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the above quota.

Major League free agents come with an automatic no-trade clause until after the next June 15.

Why would your source offer you information of something that has zero possibility of happening..?

dickallen15
12-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by steff
The Sox can't touch Carl until June 15th of 2004, NO MATTER WHAT.

From General Transaction Rules

Free Agency and Compensation

A player that has accrued 6 complete years or more of service time at the end of a season and does not have a contract is eligible for filing for free agency, after which the player can sign with any team he wants.

To receive compensation for a player that signs with another team, the team must offer the player salary arbitration.

The team must offer salary arbitration to the player by December 7 or will not be allowed to negotiate with or sign the player until the following May 1. After arbitration is offered, the player has until December 19 to either accept or refuse salary arbitration. If it is refused, the player can only negotiate with the club until January 7th, after which no more negotiation can take place until May 1.

The compensation formula is based off a negotiated formula, heavy on triple crown stats, for the previous 2 seasons. Type A players are those that rank in the top 30% of his position. Type B players are those that rank below top 30% but still in the top 50%. Type C players are those that rank in the top 60% but not the top 50%.

A type players fetch the 1st-round draft pick of teams in the top half of W-L record or a 2nd-round draft pick of teams in the bottom half of W-L record and an additional pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds. B types don't get the sandwich pick and C type players fetch a sandwich between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The higher the player's ranking in the compensation formula, the higher priority the old team gets in acquiring draft picks.

Something that's never mentioned is that there are still limits to the type of free agents that teams may sign.

If there are 14 or less type A and B players available, no team may sign more than 1 type A or B player. If there are 15-38 available A and B players, no team may sign more than 2. From 39-62 this becomes 3. The club quota increases accordingly for higher totals of available free agents. There is no maximum allowed for type C free agents. Lastly, a team can sign up to as many type A and B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the above quota.

Major League free agents come with an automatic no-trade clause until after the next June 15.

Why would your source offer you information of something that has zero possibility of happening..?

Can the player waive the no trade clause? Is it a no trade clause like many have in their contracts or is it a clause that says that may not, under any circumstance be traded?

Jjav829
12-17-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Can the player waive the no trade clause? Is it a no trade clause like many have in their contracts or is it a clause that says that may not, under any circumstance be traded?

They can't waive the no trade clause. It's different from the normal no trades clauses that players can have in their contracts.

steff
12-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
They can't waive the no trade clause. It's different from the normal no trades clauses that players can have in their contracts.

Thanks Jjav...

I guess he doesn't have an answer for me.. :?:

SoxxoS
12-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by steff
Thanks Jjav...

I guess he doesn't have an answer for me.. :?:

Maybe it was a miscommunication. Otis seems like a legit guy to have around so let's try to not alienate him.

steff
12-18-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Maybe it was a miscommunication. Otis seems like a legit guy to have around so let's try to not alienate him.

Soxos.. those were not my intentions at all. Simply asked a question..

thepaulbowski
12-18-2003, 09:12 PM

The MLBPA and JR actually do have something in common....it all comes down to $$$$$. Nothing more, nothing less.

Realist
12-19-2003, 01:16 PM
ok then ..... how about 'henry'?

Ding Ding Ding!! You've won the 50 bonus points and in the spirit of the season of throwin' in a year supply of Turtle Wax! :smile: