PDA

View Full Version : Per George Ofman...

Viva Magglio
12-17-2003, 11:06 AM
...the Sox may keep Garciaparra unless the Dodgers let the Sox throw Paul Konerko in a Sox-LA deal. Also, he reported that Jose Valentin might be headed for Seattle after Omar Vizquel failed his physicial.

CHISOXFAN13
12-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...the Sox may keep Garciaparra unless the Dodgers let the Sox throw Paul Konerko in a Sox-LA deal. Also, he reported that Jose Valentin might be headed for Seattle after Omar Vizquel failed his physicial.

Any word on who we would get in return from Seattle?

Viva Magglio
12-17-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Any word on who we would get in return from Seattle?

He speculated it might be the Mariners' Guillen.

siugrad25
12-17-2003, 11:11 AM
I'm probably in the minority :) but .....

please, please, please, please, please, please let this happen.

1B Frank/Konerko, 2B Guillen?, SS Nomar, 3B Crede

Maybe the Sox can find a suitor for Konerko and get another pitcher, but by getting Williamson (if it happens) that's still helping the bullpen. Sure there's still holes in CF and RF, but I'm trying to be optimistic. :)

Palehose13
12-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by siugrad25

Maybe the Sox can find a suitor for Konerko and get another pitcher, but by getting Williamson (if it happens) that's still helping the bullpen. Sure there's still holes in CF and RF, but I'm trying to be optimistic. :)

That is exactly what i want.

jabrch
12-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by siugrad25

Better yet, unload PK in the deal to the Dodgers and get both of their top pitching prospects. Use some of the PK $ to get Juan Gonzalez to play RF and the rest to get Freddy Garcia - possibly in the Manos/Guillen trade or possibly as a non-tender.

Kilroy
12-17-2003, 11:18 AM
If we can move Nomar and Konerko for pitching, do not hesitate.

mike squires
12-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Man, all these posts. I'm getting dizzy. :o:

Palehose13
12-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Sounds like a Valentin to Seattle deal is almost done. Is it for Guillen or Garcia???

john2499
12-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
If we can move Nomar and Konerko for pitching, do not hesitate.

How do you replace the 164 RBI between Mags And Konerko if you trade Nomar ? Nomar would help alleviate Magglio's production loss. But, if you turn around and trade him right away, what then, Valentine ? No!
It was the lack of offense the first 2 months of the season that doomed them.

delben91
12-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Have any of these trades become official yet? I mean, I'm trying to keep a level head until something actually happens, despite all the "reports" and such.

jabrch
12-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by john2499
How do you replace the 164 RBI between Mags And Konerko if you trade Nomar ?

164 RBI? That's it? OK, I sign Juan Gonzalez and he gets 120 of them. I bring up Reed or Borchard. One of them has to be worth 65 RBI, right? Or I get Crazy Carl from Montreal, he is good for 80-100 if he hits 5th or 6th all season, right?

How do you save the 15+mm that we need to get pitching (2 of Ponson, Garcia and Perez) without moving Mags and PK?

jabrch
12-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Have any of these trades become official yet? I mean, I'm trying to keep a level head until something actually happens, despite all the "reports" and such.

Nothing happens until after Boston, Texas, MLB, the MLBPA and the baseball gods agree on a A-Rod for Manny deal. Then it will be fast and furious.

batmanZoSo
12-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Yeah, why did Vizquel fail his physical? Was he smoking pot? Was he self-conscious and didn't want to do a hernia test?

I can't believe for a minute we're getting Garciaparra. Our whole thing is to cut money, but we'd be about breakeven in this deal economically. Although I would be all for it because Garciaparra is a lot more valuable than Maggs. The latter has a slight edge in power numbers, but also plays a corner so it comes with the territory. 30 homer right fielders are easy to come by. Garciaparra's a surefire hall of famer barring injuries. Magglio's probably not. He'll end up with 400 homers and a 295 average--not dominant enough for a corner. And he doesn't get a ton of hits or do anything else spectacularly. To make the Hall, Magglio will have to either get better or win a few World Series and play for a long time. Not that this all matters though, but you should all see why it would be a good move and why Garciaparra's better for his position.

Unregistered
12-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Yeah, why did Vizquel fail his physical? Was he smoking pot? Was he self-conscious and didn't want to do a hernia test? It was his knee that didn't pass the physical.
"They called me about an hour ago, and told me that I didn't pass the test on my knee," Vizquel told MLB.com on Tuesday night. "It was kind of a shock. I was really looking forward to coming back and playing for the Mariners."

mrwag
12-17-2003, 12:25 PM
I can't believe for a minute we're getting Garciaparra. Our whole thing is to cut money, but we'd be about breakeven in this deal economically.

Could the announced budget cuts be a bluff?

SoxxoS
12-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by mrwag

:reinsy

Ha!

john2499
12-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
164 RBI? That's it? OK, I sign Juan Gonzalez and he gets 120 of them. I bring up Reed or Borchard. One of them has to be worth 65 RBI, right? Or I get Crazy Carl from Montreal, he is good for 80-100 if he hits 5th or 6th all season, right?

How do you save the 15+mm that we need to get pitching (2 of Ponson, Garcia and Perez) without moving Mags and PK?

You are right, YOU sign Gonzalez, (to what I don't know, you work with the Sox ? While you are at it why don't you go after Vlad, and why didn't you re-sign Colon if you love pitching so much ?). You expect Gonzalez to drive in 120 RBI, He hasn't in 3 years. If you want him so bad what are you waiting for, go and get him. Reed or Borchard, you think 65 RBI Huh ? Reed is one year away, he won't even be on the opening day roster (unless you are going with youth, is that going to get you a division title ?) Borchard ? who is now 25 years old, where are you going to bat him and his thunderous whiffing of baseballs ? He will never drive in 65 RBI in the major leagues, The EAsports league, maybe. If you can so easily bring these two up to drive in 65 RBI well then why don't you just bring up Stewart, Cotts, and Honel one of them has to be worth 10 wins , right? NO!!!
If the White Sox trade Magglio for National League pitchers They are idiots!!

valposoxfan
12-17-2003, 12:42 PM
If the Sox get Garcia and Guillen from Seattle, who goes with Valentin, or will we just deal for Garcia...

Kilroy
12-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by john2499

How do you replace the 164 RBI between Mags And Konerko if you trade Nomar ? Nomar would help alleviate Magglio's production loss. But, if you turn around and trade him right away, what then, Valentine ? No!
It was the lack of offense the first 2 months of the season that doomed them.

Who's gonna take the mound on the 4th day? The 5th day? If the Sox get some pitching that can get people out, maybe they don't need as many of those 164 rbi. And the Sox lack of offense was not from not having people that could hit and produce runs, it was that the people that they had that should have been doing that weren't.

Yeah, why did Vizquel fail his physical? Was he smoking pot? Was he self-conscious and didn't want to do a hernia test?

It was already posted in this thread that it was his knee, but I was thinking that maybe Seattle all of a sudden figured that they had a shot at Nomar.

bobj4400
12-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by mrwag

:sahaf

"And the infidels up north are slashing payroll while the White Sox secretly keep Magglio, while acquiring ARod, IRod, Clemens, and up the payroll to 100 million"

santo=dorf
12-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Instead of trading Valentin, what do you think Seattle will give us for Nomar? Just an idea.