PDA

View Full Version : Talk about Top Spin!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-03-2001, 09:52 AM
Today's Cubune sets a new low. The Flubs have been trailing the Astros by four games for a week now. Saturday, against all odds, they managed to win a second game in their weekend series at Atlanta. Oh JOY, the Astros lose and the lead is cut to three. Whoopee!!!

So yesterday the Flubs go out and lose 7-4 while the Astros win putting the lead right back at 4 games--same as it was before the Cubs made their Big Run at the division lead.

How does the Cubune spin this one?

"No sweep, but 2 of 3 not bad" says the headline. "Defeat doesn't get Cubs down" is the sub-headline.

Hello? Exactly what is the point to this season--to win the wild-card? Apparently the editors at the Cubune have already conceded the matter to Houston. Losing is okay even when you give back the game in the standings you just made up.

How pathetic.

This is why baseball in Chicago sucks. Over half of the fans in this town are sucking up this crap from the Cubune and probably don't even realize what just happened. Not that any of them really care anyway.

"The key question for them is, did I hit a zinger?":shammy

BigKlu59
09-03-2001, 12:44 PM
Exactly PHG...Its up to us "Sox Fans" to keep the fire burning in this city.The populus has fallen into the little sisters of the poor mindset fed them by "Big Brothers" Trib and Wirtz where mediocre competition rewarded with 3rd runner up staus is applauded as triumph in sport. I dont get too hung up with the Cubbie thing.They amused me with their outrageous claims in the 60's when I cut my teeth on the pastime and I want no part of that jones they are on.The last person you want to talk about baseball to is a Cubs fan.Its like trying to acertain the symbolism of War and Peace with a regular at Romper Room.
I worry more about my beloved Pale Hose.....The fact is we are in the minority in this city once the Trib bought the bumbling Bruins.Propaganda is the food of the mindless and believe me they have a plethora to corrupt.
Keep the faith keep...Keep the Bias.....The truth shall set you free.. Over 25K at the game yesterday.The seeds of doubt planted in the Tribes war bonnet....This thing is still a possibility....
BigKlu59

Bmr31
09-03-2001, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Today's Cubune sets a new low. The Flubs have been trailing the Astros by four games for a week now. Saturday, against all odds, they managed to win a second game in their weekend series at Atlanta. Oh JOY, the Astros lose and the lead is cut to three. Whoopee!!!

So yesterday the Flubs go out and lose 7-4 while the Astros win putting the lead right back at 4 games--same as it was before the Cubs made their Big Run at the division lead.

How does the Cubune spin this one?

"No sweep, but 2 of 3 not bad" says the headline. "Defeat doesn't get Cubs down" is the sub-headline.

Hello? Exactly what is the point to this season--to win the wild-card? Apparently the editors at the Cubune have already conceded the matter to Houston. Losing is okay even when you give back the game in the standings you just made up.

How pathetic.

This is why baseball in Chicago sucks. Over half of the fans in this town are sucking up this crap from the Cubune and probably don't even realize what just happened. Not that any of them really care anyway.

"The key question for them is, did I hit a zinger?":shammy

ya know, after reading some of the chicagoans posts, im kinda glad i dont still live in chicago. I dont have to deal with that daily bias......THANK GOD. :)

Foulke You
09-03-2001, 01:01 PM
You can't even look to the Sun-Times for unbiased coverage. They're almost as bad. Sox beat writer Joe Goddard retired and now the unbearable Chris DeLuca covers the Sox. The guy really comes off as someone who'd rather be covering something else. He rips the Sox left and right. When we were beating the Tigers and Rays, the headline was, and I quote: "Sox do what they do best, beat sub .500 teams." Of course, when the Cubs beat the Marlins who are like 25-43 on the road there is no headline saying "Cubs struggle to beat one of NL's worst road teams." In fact, there was no mention of the Cubs feasting on NL cellar dwellers, the Reds and Pirates in April to jump out to a hot start. When we're beating the Tribe, DeLuca spins it as the Sox not gaining ground. I don't want sugar coated Sox news but some unbiased coverage would be nice. I expect Cub bias from Mariotti in the Sun-Times but not our own friggin beat writer. If DeLuca doesn't want the job, give it to me!

BigKlu59
09-03-2001, 01:23 PM
And there you have it.....The only way you are ever going to get a "Sox" fans view of things is to actually have a born and bred "Hosehead" scribing their trevails.Alot of these knuckleheads are journalism majors who have no clue of what it is to be a "Sox Fan" growing up in some God forsaken cow town or worse yet, in the shadows of Gotham.By all means if you are serious about stuffing that press card in your fedora, apply for the position.Lord knows stapling a sox logo to a Cubbie blue cap is not reporting White Sox baseball.......
BK59

Soxheads
09-03-2001, 01:28 PM
Even knee deep in the corn fields in Iowa its hardpressed to find an unbiased report about the cubs on the sports pages, even if it is the AP.