PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Juan Gonzalez?

jabrch
12-17-2003, 09:30 AM
OK, I am asking this as a somewhat sarcastic question, cuz I know most of the answers to it.

He is injury prone
He is a bad clubhouse guy
He is only average defensively due to limited range
He thinks he is worthy of top tier status
and he is injury prone (still)

BUT

If we move Maggs and/or PK to either get Nomar or to get pitching and prospects, would it be worth talking to him? I don't see him getting 6+mm per. Teams are afraid of him. Could we talk him into taking an incentive laden 2-3 year deal with a low base and potential top tier upside based on games played and productivity?

Has anyone heard his name much lately? Where will he land? He is a career .300 hitter who doesn't strike out too much (considering his power) and will hit 35-45 HRs if he can play 140 games at either RF or DH.

.296, .344, .563, .907 on his career for those who care.

miker
12-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Didn't he refuse to be traded from the Tigers to a contending team?

jabrch
12-17-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by miker
Didn't he refuse to be traded from the Tigers to a contending team?

He refused to be traded from Texas to Montreal because he was injured and didn't want to play on Turf. I don't recall him not wanting to leave Detroit - but I may be wrong.

Look, he isn't my #1 option, but on a highly incentive laden deal, I can see him being productive. Look at his career stats.

dickallen15
12-17-2003, 09:58 AM
He got offered a ton a money to stay in Detroit but refused it. He would have about $70 million more in the bank if he took it. Williams talked to his agent, he is a definite possibility if Magglio is traded. Supposedly he is working out like mad. If he were to stay healthy, he is capable of huge numbers. You really wouldn't be losing much offense, but its a big if.

jabrch
12-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
He got offered a ton a money to stay in Detroit but refused it. He would have about $70 million more in the bank if he took it. Williams talked to his agent, he is a definite possibility if Magglio is traded. Supposedly he is working out like mad. If he were to stay healthy, he is capable of huge numbers. You really wouldn't be losing much offense, but its a big if.

That's good news Dick. Thanks. I would be willing to take the risk on him. Imagine if we had Carlos, Nomar, Frank and Gonzalez hitting 2-5?