PDA

View Full Version : Maggs for Nomah, Williamson and Kim?


rmusacch
12-17-2003, 12:12 AM
Don't know if this has been posted yet but:

[QUOTE] If the Red Sox get Rodriguez, there's been speculation they would then trade Nomar Garciaparra. Early whispers had him going to either the Dodgers or Angels, although there were indications those teams may not actively seek him.

Instead, there was talk the Red Sox might package Garciaparra with pitchers Scott Williamson and Byung-Hyun Kim and send him to the Chicago White Sox for star outfielder Magglio Ordonez. [QUOTE]

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-baseballrdp&prov=ap&type=lgns

This would be sweet if true.

Huisj
12-17-2003, 12:13 AM
obviously i think there'd be more in that trade than just ordonez.

red faber
12-17-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Don't know if this has been posted yet but:

[QUOTE] If the Red Sox get Rodriguez, there's been speculation they would then trade Nomar Garciaparra. Early whispers had him going to either the Dodgers or Angels, although there were indications those teams may not actively seek him.

Instead, there was talk the Red Sox might package Garciaparra with pitchers Scott Williamson and Byung-Hyun Kim and send him to the Chicago White Sox for star outfielder Magglio Ordonez. [QUOTE]

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-baseballrdp&prov=ap&type=lgns

This would be sweet if true.


it sounds like a sweet trade indeed!!!!!

too bad it won't happen!!!!!!!!!

Win1ForMe
12-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Even if the trade doesn't happen we know the clubs are at least discussing it. I have to admit, I had my doubts as to Otis' credibility. But it's pretty impressive that he broke the "rumor" (I won't call it news just yet) almost 2.5 weeks before any mention of it anywhere else.

Brian26
12-17-2003, 01:00 AM
For all we know, Yahoo Sports may have ripped that rumor off of this board. Who's making news these days?

SoxxoS
12-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Is anyone else a little concerned about those splits away from Fenway? Can someone make any sense out of those, b/c those are really scary to me.

Win1ForMe
12-17-2003, 02:48 AM
BTW, for me to like this deal, Johnny Damon better be headed to the White Sox. Trading Magglio for Nomar is a lateral move (actually, Maggs is the better player) and I don't think much of Kim or Williamson, who are both synonymous with "meltdown."

I guess if Kenny thought he could get an extension from Nomar then maybe it makes sense, but one can only wonder about Garciaparra's demands now that the Orioles signed Tejada to that ridiculous deal. And if Kenny actually is willing to spend that high ($ 13/14 mil per) then why not just sign Maggs to an extension? He is the better hitter, IMO.

StillMissOzzie
12-17-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
BTW, for me to like this deal, Johnny Damon better be headed to the White Sox. Trading Magglio for Nomar is a lateral move (actually, Maggs is the better player) and I don't think much of Kim or Williamson, who are both synonymous with "meltdown."

I guess if Kenny thought he could get an extension from Nomar then maybe it makes sense, but one can only wonder about Garciaparra's demands now that the Orioles signed Tejada to that ridiculous deal. And if Kenny actually is willing to spend that high ($ 13/14 mil per) then why not just sign Maggs to an extension? He is the better hitter, IMO.

I saw where Nomar had turned down Boston's offer of 4 / $60M, so unless he's dialed down his expectations, I wouldn't think Kdub is shopping in that mall. And I think the Orioles way overpaid to get Tejada.

Kdub's a Value City shopper, not Marshall Field's

SMO

joeynach
12-17-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Don't know if this has been posted yet but:

[QUOTE] If the Red Sox get Rodriguez, there's been speculation they would then trade Nomar Garciaparra. Early whispers had him going to either the Dodgers or Angels, although there were indications those teams may not actively seek him.

Instead, there was talk the Red Sox might package Garciaparra with pitchers Scott Williamson and Byung-Hyun Kim and send him to the Chicago White Sox for star outfielder Magglio Ordonez. [QUOTE]

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-baseballrdp&prov=ap&type=lgns

This would be sweet if true.

wont happen. the purpose of trading our big guys is to dump salary and get quality players that wont leave the team after this year. this would actaully add salary and nomar is a FA after the 2004 season. from a whitesox stand point it doesnt make sense.

Man Soo Lee
12-17-2003, 05:40 AM
If Nomar comes to the Sox, I doubt Boston also gives up two relievers. That would leave them with just Foulke and Timlin from the right side (and it's possible Kim is their 5th starter).

It seems like we would have to include prospects to trade a $14 million OF for an $11.5 million SS and a quality reliever.

The Trib and other papers have Nomar going on to LA with Kenny demanding O. Perez, Mota, and Greg Miller in return. I might back off on Mota if it meant getting Miller.

dougs78
12-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Man Soo Lee
If Nomar comes to the Sox, I doubt Boston also gives up two relievers. That would leave them with just Foulke and Timlin from the right side (and it's possible Kim is their 5th starter).

It seems like we would have to include prospects to trade a $14 million OF for an $11.5 million SS and a quality reliever.

The Trib and other papers have Nomar going on to LA with Kenny demanding O. Perez, Mota, and Greg Miller in return. I might back off on Mota if it meant getting Miller.


I personally think the rumors of us acquiring Nomar are just a front to drive up what we eventually will get from LA for Ordonez. Heres a possibility on how its playing out. The Dodgers want to add one big bat and they really want Nomar since hes a Cali kid and all that. The Red Sox really want to trade Nomar, but they really want a power-hitting outfielder in return. Therefore, in steps Kenny who then basically bids against LA for Nomar. This would make the Dodgers up their offer in the deal, because Nomar is who they want.

So in many ways the Sox become the key linchpin for both LA and Boston to getting what they want out of the deal. In this scenario, both teams might be willing to throw in just a little bit extra to get the deal done. Thus KW will be able to command even more than he otherwise would for Maggs.

dougs78
12-17-2003, 07:13 AM
By the way, here is the link Man Soo Lee was referring to.

Chicagosports.com (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031216soxordonezaroddeal,1,4077381.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

If we can somehow parlay Ordonez into Perez, Mota, Miller and Williamson I think we could all be very happy with that deal. Although I still would love to have Jackson, but from what I understand Miller a stud as well.

gosox41
12-17-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Don't know if this has been posted yet but:

[QUOTE] If the Red Sox get Rodriguez, there's been speculation they would then trade Nomar Garciaparra. Early whispers had him going to either the Dodgers or Angels, although there were indications those teams may not actively seek him.

Instead, there was talk the Red Sox might package Garciaparra with pitchers Scott Williamson and Byung-Hyun Kim and send him to the Chicago White Sox for star outfielder Magglio Ordonez. [QUOTE]

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-baseballrdp&prov=ap&type=lgns

This would be sweet if true.

I like the other rumor floating around in the Tribune.

Ordonez would be part of a 4 team deal. The Sox would get Mota, Perez, and that pitching prospectt from the Dodgers as well as Scott Williamson from the Red Sox.

Don't know how reliable it is but a bullpen of Mota, WIlliamson, and Marte isn't so bad. Perez fills the hole of a number 4 starter and the Sox would free up money to fill other holes.

if Everett is available again bring him in to play RF. Borchard would be in CF. The Sox would still have enough money to find a fifth starter, antoher reliever and a second baseman.

Bob

toledosoxfan
12-17-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
If we can somehow parlay Ordonez into Perez, Mota, Miller and Williamson I think we could all be very happy with that deal. Although I still would love to have Jackson, but from what I understand Miller a stud as well.

That would be a tremendous trade for the Sox. I wouldn't be happy seeing Mags go, but in return for him we get help now and for the future. The money saved could hopefully than be used to sign Ponson.

cornball
12-17-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
I personally think the rumors of us acquiring Nomar are just a front to drive up what we eventually will get from LA for Ordonez. Heres a possibility on how its playing out. The Dodgers want to add one big bat and they really want Nomar since hes a Cali kid and all that. The Red Sox really want to trade Nomar, but they really want a power-hitting outfielder in return. Therefore, in steps Kenny who then basically bids against LA for Nomar. This would make the Dodgers up their offer in the deal, because Nomar is who they want.

So in many ways the Sox become the key linchpin for both LA and Boston to getting what they want out of the deal. In this scenario, both teams might be willing to throw in just a little bit extra to get the deal done. Thus KW will be able to command even more than he otherwise would for Maggs.


I like the way your thinking.

Bucktown
12-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
wont happen. the purpose of trading our big guys is to dump salary and get quality players that wont leave the team after this year. this would actaully add salary and nomar is a FA after the 2004 season. from a whitesox stand point it doesnt make sense.
To me this is a ridiculous statement. What quality player wouldn't leverage the club for maximum compensation by threatening to go Free Agent? The only player that wouldn't do that is one locked in a long term contract that does not pey him makrket. If you have a player like that why would your trade him?