PDA

View Full Version : Oakland acquires Redman

MHOUSE
12-16-2003, 10:55 PM
The A's sent 25-year old rookie reliever Mike Neu to the Marlins in exchange for Redman who went 14-9 last year. I thought Redman would've made a fine 5th starter for the Sox and he was certainly on the market. All that they gave up was a joe nobody rookie who had a decent season out of the bullpen. I gotta believe they would've taken Wright or Munoz or somebody like that.

serena
12-16-2003, 11:42 PM
If they stick with Redman, the A's are going to have a nice rotation. Redman makes a nice #4-5 pitcher (edited to add) especially if you can call the Coliseum home.

SoxxoS
12-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Redman is horrible.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2003, 12:32 AM
Let's see...

Ivan Rodriguez...gone
Derek Lee...gone
Ugith Urbina...gone
Mark Redman...gone
Juan Encarnation...gone

Florida sure has a funny way of keeping that championship team together don't they?

LOL

Jeffrey Loria...another outstanding example of ownership.

Lip

serena
12-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Redman is horrible.

Depends what you expect out of a #4-5 pitcher (I assume he'll be rated 4th, though Harden may step up next year).

1.22 WHIP, 7.13K/2.88 BB per 9IPs, .76 HRs/9IPs in '03 doesn't look bad to me (albeit ~190 IPs due to injuries). OAV of .231.

Better numbers than Buerhle put up last year.

Dadawg_77
12-17-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Let's see...

Ivan Rodriguez...gone
Derek Lee...gone
Ugith Urbina...gone
Mark Redman...gone
Juan Encarnation...gone

Florida sure has a funny way of keeping that championship team together don't they?

LOL

Lip

IRod and Lee are the only two losses that can really hurt.

Encarnation would be a bench player on next years team since Cabera(sp?) and Conine should start over him. Urbina can be replaced with Looper, Redman is expendable as Fla has tons of good solid arms.

MHOUSE
12-17-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
IRod and Lee are the only two losses that can really hurt.

Encarnation would be a bench player on next years team since Cabera(sp?) and Conine should start over him. Urbina can be replaced with Looper, Redman is expendable as Fla has tons of good solid arms.

Florida has enough young players to cover their losses. The also saved a ton of money by dealing the players or letting them leave. Cabrera, Choi, etc. and their young pitching staff will be fine to fill in at lower a much lower cost. Either way, Philly is taking that division.

MRKARNO
12-17-2003, 06:36 AM
The A's might be scary good with Zito, Hudson, Mulder and Redman. With this starting rotation I think they should win 95 games.

thepaulbowski
12-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Let's see...

Ivan Rodriguez...gone
Derek Lee...gone
Ugith Urbina...gone
Mark Redman...gone
Juan Encarnation...gone

LOL

Lip

This is no different than many other teams in baseball. It's not like he's gutted the whole team like they did in 97. He has to be smart with his money and, from the looks of it, he is doing a pretty good job.

MHOUSE
12-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The A's might be scary good with Zito, Hudson, Mulder and Redman. With this starting rotation I think they should win 95 games.

Throw Harden into that mix and they look very scary if Mulder and Hudson can stay healthy. That starting rotation might rival those of the Red Sox and Yankees IMHO.

Lip Man 1
12-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Folks:

First off Loria didn't own the team in 97. Just to clarify that.

Second, Loria made a big speech at the parade saying how he was 'going to keep this team together.' (exact quote) It was immediately stated that to do so would cost a payroll of 80 million.

My point simply was that he was lying through his teeth when he made the comment. When Lee and Redman were dealt the AP in their stories used the term 'salary dump,' both times.

Just another example of how you can tell an owner is lying...every time he opens his mouth. (and by the way the Marlins aren't done, they still have other players going to arbitration who may be gone.) Sign Castillo and Lowell, dump five guys...sounds like keeping the team together to me!

Lip