PDA

View Full Version : Sox shouldn't get nomar or damon

joeynach
12-16-2003, 06:09 PM
I mean yeah these guys are great players and i would love to have them on my team. But first of all they cost too much. And nomar like a mags is a FA at the end of the year. Nomar will make 11.5 mil and damon 8 mil. Mags will make 14 mil and both him and nomar will be FA's. Where is the salary crunch that we are looking for. Unless boston gives us serious financial compensation, which they wont beucase they can trade nomar to LA without giving $$, this deal is nothing more than a fairy tale.

soxfan26
12-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Someone is finally making sense around here.

There have been a few articles about Nomar's failed negotiations with the Red Sox and originally Nomar was looking for $12m a year, but after Tejada got his contract, Nomar was asking for $15m a season.

The Sox don't have the money to spend on Maggs, so is the money going to magically appear for Nomar? Not with JR running the show.

It's nuts to think the Red Sox would trade Damon at all, let alone as a "throw-in" on the trade. The A-Rod for Manny trade leaves them with a big hole in LF, why would they add to their problems by opening one in CF?

Lets find 5 starters before we try upgrading at SS.

kittle42
12-16-2003, 06:37 PM
I don't even understand why we're discussing this outside of fantasy land. This trade will never happen, and no one even discusses the Sox as a real possibility of being a dealer in the Rodriguez/Garciaparra trade.

hold2dibber
12-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
I mean yeah these guys are great players and i would love to have them on my team. But first of all they cost too much. And nomar like a mags is a FA at the end of the year. Nomar will make 11.5 mil and damon 8 mil. Mags will make 14 mil and both him and nomar will be FA's. Where is the salary crunch that we are looking for. Unless boston gives us serious financial compensation, which they wont beucase they can trade nomar to LA without giving $$, this deal is nothing more than a fairy tale.

The only time I have ever heard anyone suggest that Damon would be in on the deal was when it was suggested that the Red Sox would also take Koch (thereby essentially evening out the $ aspect of the trade). Since the Red Sox subsequently signed Foulke, that aspect of the rumored trade would be (I assume) out the window - i.e., no Damon/Koch involved. I have heard from several sources that the Red Sox are amenable to moving Damon (likely because while he's pretty good, he's not $8 million/year good).

Maggs for Nomar would only give the Sox $3 million in payroll relief - but could free more if the Sox could then trade Valentin for a cheaper starting pitcher or corner outfielder.

The only part of all this that seems to make sense is that if the Red Sox acquire A-Rod for Manny, they'll have to deal Nomar and they'll want a replacement corner OF'er for Manny. With the Sox apparently ready to move Maggs, the deal would make sense from the Boston perspective. But it would create the same problems for our Sox (i.e., one too many SSs but one too few corner OFs).

D'Angelo F Death
12-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Nomar's maybe the single most overrated hitter in the game now...he's nothing like he was before his injury...he can only hit at Fenway and he's certainly no replacement for Mags, who can hit anywhere anytime.

Nomar Past 3 Yrs on the road: .314 OBP, .459 SLG
Jose Valentin past 3 yrs overall: .320 OBP, .483 SLG
Mags past 3 yrs overall : .381 OBP, .558 SLG....

Don't do it!!!!

kittle42
12-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
I don't even understand why we're discussing this outside of fantasy land. This trade will never happen, and no one even discusses the Sox as a real possibility of being a dealer in the Rodriguez/Garciaparra trade.

Oops.

Hangar18
12-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by kittle42

Im going to go with what I know of the White Sox so far. The Sox ARE NOT PRO-ACTIVE. We "React to market conditions" (read: they let other teams determine the sox future), and the SOX dont like to PAY to keep their Own Players. Furthermore, Almost ALL the moves theyve made thru the 1990's, have ALL BEEN ECONOMICALLY DICTATED. None have been made with the INTENTION OF HELPING THE TEAM STRATEGICALLY, but more out of squeezing Payroll. Of the Players we have Acquired that were considered "A" Level players, the players most other teams are Seeking (thus making them more Expensive than "B" and "C" level players) Weve ONLY been able to Acquire them Because these players were:
A: last years of a contract
B: other team agrees to pay some of the salary

Going with these Clues, Actions, and Behaviors, an FBI Profiler
would say this about the White Sox.

The White Sox are hangers on, always looking for the Cheapest possible way to operate. This team does NOT begin negotiations, but "fall " into them by accident. Deals are made with this team Only if a number of other "deals" arent able to be made. In the animal kingdom, this team would be considered a
Rodent. Only able to Survive dependent on if the Lions and Jaguars of the world are able to kill a Deer and hope the Vultures of the world (the cubs) can hopefully leave us enough to get by...

jabrch
12-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The White Sox are hangers on, always looking for the Cheapest possible way to operate. This team does NOT begin negotiations, but "fall " into them by accident. Deals are made with this team Only if a number of other "deals" arent able to be made. In the animal kingdom, this team would be considered a
Rodent. Only able to Survive dependent on if the Lions and Jaguars of the world are able to kill a Deer and hope the Vultures of the world (the cubs) can hopefully leave us enough to get by...

Hangar, that is the saddest, most negative post i have seen here since 9/11. I sure hope things end up better for us this year and that Kenny has been strategically waiting, knowing this A-Rod thing would happen and that Nomar would be shipped out eventually for a RF. That said, you are right - we know how the team operates and it usually is in the rodential mode.

BeerHandle
12-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by D'Angelo F Death
Nomar's maybe the single most overrated hitter in the game now...he's nothing like he was before his injury...he can only hit at Fenway and he's certainly no replacement for Mags, who can hit anywhere anytime.

Don't do it!!!!

Great SS, great hitter, always on base, rarely strikeouts, fan favorite, will be great lead-off!!

BeerHandle
12-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by joeynach

Maybe there is not a self-imposed budget.

Also, we will move PK ($8mil??) and Valentine ($5 mil)

KW has been on the DL about everything. He plays the game right.

Hokiesox
12-17-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by D'Angelo F Death

Don't do it!!!!

Think "Middle-defense"

D'Angelo F Death
12-18-2003, 09:47 AM
Think of all the runs we won't be getting with Mags gone.

Jeez.

How many runs do you think Nomar's glove is going to save? One a week?

.314 OBP on the road over the past three years....that's really scary. Nomar's reputation is way larger than his actual performance.

Plus, am I the only one who thinks of Mags as a great RF??