PDA

View Full Version : Vizquel to Seattle for Guillen Appears to be a Done Deal

hold2dibber
12-16-2003, 05:26 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that Vizquel for Guillen is a done deal (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1687504), pending physicals. That should be the end of the Valentin for Guillen rumor (fine by me). The same report also states that Jeff Cirillo for Roger Cedano is almost a done deal, which would mean the end of the Koch for Cedano rumors (also fine by me).

MHOUSE
12-16-2003, 05:31 PM
I hope Cedeno leaves the Mets so there's no chance of us dealing for him. I want to unload Koch for Weathers. What about Valentin for Vizquel? I'd have liked that. Oh well. Cleveland continues to get younger.

joecrede
12-16-2003, 05:32 PM
Seattle passes up Texas for last place.

MisterB
12-16-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
ESPN.com is reporting that Vizquel for Guillen is a done deal (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1687504), pending physicals. That should be the end of the Valentin for Guillen rumor (fine by me). The same report also states that Jeff Cirillo for Roger Cedano is almost a done deal, which would mean the end of the Koch for Cedano rumors (also fine by me).

This probably kills any Koch to the Mets deals since Cedeno was the only player they wanted to give up. Valentin as part of a Dodgers deal is still possible unless the Manny/A-Rod deal goes through, then I'd guess Nomar goes to LA.

Chisoxfn
12-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Once Cirillo is dealt, I'd look for the Mariners to land Jose Valentin as their 3rd baseman for Randy Wynn (Who will be replaced by Roger Cedeno and potentially Magglio at a later date and time).

MHOUSE
12-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Once Cirillo is dealt, I'd look for the Mariners to land Jose Valentin as their 3rd baseman for Randy Wynn (Who will be replaced by Roger Cedeno and potentially Magglio at a later date and time).

Jose for Wynn? I'd do it in a second.

MisterB
12-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Seattle signed Speizio to play 3B if/when Cirillo was dealt. Any deals between the Sox and the Mariners are highly unlikely at this point...

Chisoxfn
12-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Seattle signed Speizio to play 3B if/when Cirillo was dealt. Any deals between the Sox and the Mariners are highly unlikely at this point...

So Olerud is still gonna be playing first base for them?

FanOf14
12-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

In all seriousness, what is the likely hood for any white sox deals at this point? Are any of the rumors out there likely? :?:

SoxxoS
12-16-2003, 06:02 PM
I don't think Speizio has the range nor the arm to play 3rd base on a regular basis...

Chisoxfn
12-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't think Speizio has the range nor the arm to play 3rd base on a regular basis...

I have the same feelings. He can play there, decently, but over a full season, it may not be the best idea. And I have watched Spiezo play a heck of a lot of games.

hold2dibber
12-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

You may be right, but I have read in several places that the reason they signed him is to play 3B (makes sense - they already have Olereud at 1B and Edgar at DH, so they must intend for Spiezio to play 3B at least for one year).

StillMissOzzie
12-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Originally posted by MHOUSE
What about Valentin for Vizquel? I'd have liked that.

"Not so fast my friend", as Vizquel and his 2 knee surgeries have failed the physical for Seattle. Looks like Cleveland is stuck with damaged goods...

SMO

Lip Man 1
12-17-2003, 01:37 AM
The Sporting News radio is reporting Tuesday night that the deal is off.

Omar failed his physical, he's got that bad knee that was operated on.

Lip

Frank the Tank
12-17-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Omar should have used the same doctor that passed Bartolo Colon's physical. :D:

bc2k
12-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Omar should have used the same doctor that passed Bartolo Colon's physical. :D:

Or the same Alabama genius who ok'd Sirotka's torn labrum.

How did that physical go down?

SIRO: James, my pitching shoulder hurts like never before.

Andrews: [on cell phone] No, I'm not busy at all. 12:40 tee time? Count me in.

SIRO: As I was saying, I've never felt pain like this before, the pain was serious enough to push back a playoff start.

Andrews: MRI and catscan look good. Mike, I have no doubt you'll have a long career.

Oh, and when this trade is announced, don't insult the Sox fans by saying you'd love to return to Chicago someday, followed up by saying on the North Side.

SIRO: No, I have to. Don't you remember I'm the same guy who called out his teammates to the press for not playing good defense? You already know I'm a baby.

bc2k: Siro = Queero

hold2dibber
12-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

So if the Sox do trade Maggs for Nomar, maybe Valentin to Seattle for Freddy Garcia is back on. Yeesh - there are so many possibilities floating around out there, my head is spinning. Must be absolutely nuts for someone on the inside (i.e., a GM or assistant GM) this time of year.

chuckn98229
12-17-2003, 09:00 AM
This morning's Seattle Times is also reporting that the deal is off.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2001817002_mari17.html

BeerHandle
12-17-2003, 09:29 AM
Check out this article. This can shake even more up! Could we then move Valentin?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mariners-indianstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Palehose13
12-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Hmmm...Guillen has played second base. Let's think about this:

Maggs for Nomar.
Valentin for Guillen, who will play 2nd for the Sox.

That would be a decent middle infield.

Plus, Nomar makes 2.5 mil less than Maggs and Guillen makes 2.5 mil less than Valentin, freeing up 5 mil.

The Big Squirt
12-17-2003, 09:50 AM
This is my exact thought. Now you have enough for Ponson plus an outfielder and some middle relivers (I am assuming the 10+ mil you were going to give Colon is still avail for other players)