PDA

View Full Version : Question for Otis re: Everett

BackInBlack
12-16-2003, 03:13 PM
I was informed by a colleague that there is a "no trade clause" period that is supposed to last 6 months after the signing of a FA. So if this trade for Everett is supposed to go down, do you envision it happening a some point in the regular season? Thanks.

TheRockinMT
12-16-2003, 03:35 PM
If your friend is right, and the 6-month clause makes sense, it just goes to show that the rumor that we will get Everett from the Expos in a trade is so much do-do. It doesn't make sense for the Expos to give is back Everett for a minor league player when they need someone to replace Vlad. They have Everett at a great price and I am sure he is there to stay. If Montreal signed Everett for the Sox so we could get out of the arbitration award it would most likely be illegal and you would have collusion.

Randar68
12-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
If your friend is right, and the 6-month clause makes sense, it just goes to show that the rumor that we will get Everett from the Expos in a trade is so much do-do. It doesn't make sense for the Expos to give is back Everett for a minor league player when they need someone to replace Vlad. They have Everett at a great price and I am sure he is there to stay. If Montreal signed Everett for the Sox so we could get out of the arbitration award it would most likely be illegal and you would have collusion.

Sign him, trade him for a prospect in the wee early hours of the upcoming season, thus not paying a whole lot of the actual contract. Thus, basically getting the Expos prospects for nothing. Not a terrible strategy, especially if they want a low payroll, and a good farm system, something that offers the flexibility and promise any prospective buyer would deem as a positive...

TheRockinMT
12-16-2003, 05:25 PM
I am not saying I wouldn't like to have Carl Everett back on the Sox, but you have to admit that this is a long stretch to happen.

otis
12-16-2003, 08:59 PM
My Boston guy told me that they were shocked that Carl went to Montreal for the money that he signed for because he wanted to stay in Chicago and Chicago wanted him. (Keep in mind that they dealt with Everett for 2 years) He also said that there was no way KW could sign him before the arbitration date because he had too many trade talks in place to know what kind of team would be assembled. He expected Everett to sign with a contender for bargain money and when the Montreal deal took place he told me he wouldn't be suprised at all to see Everett traded back to the Sox for a minor leaguer if the Ordonez deal goes through because the sgning didn't make sense to him. He also pointed out KW's close relationship with Omar Minaya. Keep in mind that my contact is "Boston" and his insight into the WSox that don't involve them is "Educated Speculation"

Daver
12-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
I was informed by a colleague that there is a "no trade clause" period that is supposed to last 6 months after the signing of a FA. So if this trade for Everett is supposed to go down, do you envision it happening a some point in the regular season? Thanks.

I would have to double check my copy of the new CBA,but this is news to me.I can't recall reading anything that even vaguely resembles this in the CBA,but I have not read it entirely in the last four months.Takes a few hours to get through the two hundred plus pages of legelspeke that is the CBA.