PDA

View Full Version : Random "thoughts"

batmanZoSo
12-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Let me just rattle off a few observations as I haven't frequented theses parts in a fortnight or three.

Okay, so...we can't afford to keep Bartolo Colon, Carl Everett, Roberto Alomar or Magglio Ordonez...but the Expos of all people can sign Carl Everett. (Ed.-- By the way, now that they've acquired the immortal Nick Johnson, we can all move on with our lives). Let's see...Chicago is thrice as populus as Mo-we-ahl, we have a much bigger TV deal (just assuming there...correct me if I'm wrong ) and we draw more fans.

Boy, place rules....I never heard squat about us even officially talking with Ponson and I come here and we've "all but signed him." And that Ohio source is from Sunday night? It's Tuesday as I speak and I haven't been all that "out of it"--no more than usual--and I've heard nothing of it. I still think he's fat and overrated, somewhat of a gamble, but hey now that we're trimming so much of our own fat, we can afford a little more. And I will say Ponson is better than Danny Wright--to settle the argument once and for all. Beggars can't be chosers. I'll take Ponson in an East Rutherford, NJ minute.

The Tribune Co. has raised the cub budget by 8MM as a token of appreciation to their fans and at the same time delivering a huge insult and a shocking display of miserly ownership. They're gonna make so much money next year...my god in heaven. And 8MM? They'll make an extra 8MM in pop revenue alone. There's no way the Red Sox have more money than them. They play in a smaller market, don't have WGN and have an even smaller, decrepiter, urine-stenchier park than do the cubs. Yet their payroll exceeds the beloveds' by 30MM...and, haha, they're going after Arod. Not that I'm complaining. I say 8MM is too much! The payroll must sink ever lower over there to maximize the NLCS hangover/honeymoon revenue that's gonna pour in like Niagara for the next three years or so (it usually takes cub fans about that long to realize the team is no longer good).

Tekijawa
12-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
. The Tribune Co. has raised the cub budget by 8MM as a token of appreciation to their fans and at the same time delivering a huge insult and a shocking display of miserly ownership. They're gonna make so much money next year...my god in heaven. And 8MM? They'll make an extra 8MM in pop revenue alone. There's no way the Red Sox have more money than them. They play in a smaller market, don't have WGN and have an even smaller, decrepiter, urine-stenchier park than do the cubs. Yet their payroll exceeds the beloveds' by 30MM...and, haha, they're going after Arod. Not that I'm complaining. I say 8MM is too much! The payroll must sink ever lower over there to maximize the NLCS hangover/honeymoon revenue that's gonna pour in like Niagara for the next three years or so (it usually takes cub fans about that long to realize the team is no longer good).

That's because the Cubs are essentially "Publically owned, and have share holders to answer to, not just egos of the owners. They out of any other owner out there have a Duity to remain as profitable as possible.

jabrch
12-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
urine-stenchier

Never heard that word before - but I like it. It describes Wrigley very well. I have been to Fenway and didn't find it to be urine-stenchier than Wrigley. It was kinda urine-stenchy, but not worse than Wrigley.

Anyhow - thanks for increasing my vocabulary today BatmanZoSo.

batmanZoSo
12-17-2003, 12:44 PM
jabrch,

I've been to some urine-stenchy ballparks, and Fenway is by far the urine-stenchiest. But that's just my opinionation.