PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Levine is reporting...

MRKARNO
12-16-2003, 02:03 PM
That the White Sox are close to acquiring Williamson from Boston for a package of minor leaguers headlined by Arnie Munoz.

He is also reporting that the sox could be sending Valentin to Seattle for Carlos Guillen.

habibharu
12-16-2003, 02:07 PM
where did you hear or see this

chisoxt
12-16-2003, 02:07 PM
IMO, we should be going the other way and getting mior league prospects in excahange for veterans. This would be a bad move.

MRKARNO
12-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
where did you hear or see this

Well it's bruce levine so of course ESPN 1000

bobj4400
12-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
He is also reporting that the sox could be sending Valentin to Seattle for Carlos Guillen.

I heard this morning that Guillen was going to Cleveland for Vizquel...

SoxxoS
12-16-2003, 02:11 PM
We aren't going to get Nomar if we get Guillen!

MRKARNO
Originally posted by bobj4400
I heard this morning that Guillen was going to Cleveland for Vizquel...

They might have leaked one rumor to get the other trade done, or they are really deciding between the two. But Bruce Levine has been right on target a lot this offseason.

nodiggity59
What is Munoz's celing as a prospect? Is a he a real good one or just a prospect? What position does he play?

I wouldn't mind seeing Williamson here - just would like to know what we're giving up.

habibharu
12-16-2003, 02:12 PM
i dont want nomar. i mean i do but it would be stupid to have him for one year

hold2dibber
12-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
IMO, we should be going the other way and getting mior league prospects in excahange for veterans. This would be a bad move.

Ugh. I for one would be vehemently opposed to another rebuilding phase. The AL Central is there for the taking. The Sox desperately need a right handed arm in the pen. If they can get Williamson for Munoz and another minor leaguer (with a few exceptions - e.g., Honel, Reed, etc.), I'm all for it.

SoxxoS
12-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Williamson has had one bad stint (with the Red Sox) so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has been solid every year before that, plus he is only 27.

washington
12-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Hard to see what's attractive about Carlos Guillen. His offensive numbers look like Ozzie's

batmanZoSo
12-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
That the White Sox are close to acquiring Williamson from Boston for a package of minor leaguers headlined by Arnie Munoz.

Anything to improve the bullpen will be a good move. I don't know if the S-T Magglio to LA trade has any foundation anymore, but I would go for it. If you ask me, we'd be getting the better end of the deal easily. And we'd be trading from a strength to improve a weakness...can't get more fundamentally sound than that. Hopefully the Williamso deal is substantiated, but anything coming from the local sports station tickers is suspect. They're pretty much never right...about anything. Kinda like me :)

Just kidding...I rule.

jabrch

I guess that depends on the context of the whole deal.

I would rather have Nomar, Damon, Everett than Maggs, Valentin and Crash.

Who knows? Assuming we are in the hunt, we will have a solid team with this move. If we aren't, we could easily move Nomar at the deadline (or keep him for the draft compensation). And Damon is signed for one more year, so we'd have a leadoff hitter for two seasons.

Unless Maggs is willing to sit down now and hammer out a long term deal at about 12mm, I don't see him staying with this team. And frankly, as much as I am a Maggs fan, I can't blame KW for moving him.

Palehose13
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Ugh. I for one would be vehemently opposed to another rebuilding phase. The AL Central is there for the taking. The Sox desperately need a right handed arm in the pen. If they can get Williamson for Munoz and another minor leaguer (with a few exceptions - e.g., Honel, Reed, etc.), I'm all for it.

I second that. The one thing that keeps me somewhat POSITIVe this season is that KW will not move guys only to dump salary. The only trades he makes will have an immediate impact on the team.

I'd be pissed if we traded "The Big Four" for all prospects. I'm tired of prospects. No more "The kids can play"...cause some of the original kids are looking at retirement (if not retired already).

pudge
12-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Is Munoz the lefty who was so nasty in winter ball? Why would you give up on him?

MRKARNO
12-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Is Munoz the lefty who was so nasty in winter ball? Why would you give up on him?

To acquire a very good reliever who could be a closer with a career ERA around 3.

Dub25
12-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Guillen made 2.5 mil last year. Don't know what he will make this year but I would think k-dub is freeing up at least 2 mil. Is that enough to make any other moves? Hopefully this will get more deals moving.

dickallen15
12-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Guillen signed for $2.5 million again for next season.

lowesox
12-16-2003, 02:52 PM
I like the Williamson trade depending on who goes with Munez. Our bullpen is desperate - having a right handed and left handed closer will be big.

Does anybody know the salary implications of Valentin for Guillen?

MRKARNO
12-16-2003, 02:52 PM
These two deals could be done in conjunction with one another to keep the payroll the same

duke of dorwood
12-16-2003, 02:58 PM
:KW

I just feel like getting pantsed today, OK?

joecrede
12-16-2003, 03:02 PM
If a Nomar/Maggs trade were to materialize, I don't see why Guillen couldn't move from short to second. He's had limited playing time there for Seattle, but that's because Boone is there not because Guillen can't play second.

MRKARNO
12-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
If a Nomar/Maggs trade were to materialize, I don't see why Guillen couldn't move from short to second. He's had limited playing time there for Seattle, but that's because Boone is there not because Guillen can't play second.

Guillen hasnt played second since 99, but if you can play short, you can generally play the positions next to you. He played a lot of time at third last year too, but if things go to plan, Crede will be patrolling third for a long while

lowesox
12-16-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

Is Guillen cheap?

MRKARNO
12-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Is Guillen cheap?

2.5 mil next year

TheRockinMT
12-16-2003, 03:30 PM
I don't see the trades mentioned here as being good for the Sox. Trading more of our young players for Williamson may not be a smart move, but trading Valentin for Guillen is not good at all and if we are worried about money I guess our run at the pennant is secondary.

Hangar18
12-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Is Guillen cheap?

I heard him and a cub player ran up a $400 dinner tab
and left a 10 buck tip once

Hangar18
12-16-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I don't see the trades mentioned here as being good for the Sox. Trading more of our young players for Williamson may not be a smart move, but trading Valentin for Guillen is not good at all and if we are worried about money I guess our run at the pennant is secondary.

WELL SAID ROCK. Teams that make Moves/Trades/Signings/Draft Picks based solely on the Cheap
Generally Dont Win Pennants

Gammons Peter
12-16-2003, 04:06 PM
I've been listening to AM1000 since I saw this thread and
Bruce La "Vine" cubby lover hasnt said anything about
Valentin for Guillen

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-16-2003, 04:08 PM
I thought Williamson was pretty darn good in the playoffs last year for the carmines. I wouldn't mind seeing him come here after we lost Gordon and Sullivan as long as we don't give up too much

maurice
12-16-2003, 04:59 PM

Remember, Maggs and Jose are on one-year deals also. I have no problem trading a good-hitting corner OF (Maggs) for a good-hitting SS (Nomah), considering that they're both in their walk year.

:hawk
"That trade would be a White Sox WINNER!"

BeerHandle
12-16-2003, 05:21 PM
He is also reporting that the sox could be sending Valentin to Seattle for Carlos Guillen. [/B]

I guess Bruce is as informed as we are when it comes to Sox moves!!

bc2k
12-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I heard him and a cub player ran up a $400 dinner tab
and left a 10 buck tip once

Dinner tab or teammate Freddy Garcia's liquor tab?