View Full Version : Slezak Article

ewokpelts
12-16-2003, 11:39 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol16.html

Enjoy!
Gene

Brian26
12-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Before reading it, should I ask if she makes any false statements? (i.e. Frank didn't have any big homers last year, not even two walk offs?)

Lip Man 1
12-16-2003, 11:47 AM
I enjoyed reading the story although I don't think she offered anything that most White Sox fans don't already know.

Still it was nice to see her 'call out,' the organization. While we assume that members of the front office scan the boards here at WSI, they certainly read the papers every day, so they had to see it.

Lip

Dan H
12-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Carol is on the mark this time. Unless the Sox make some big moves in the future, the Sox will some big time issues with their fans as she pointed out. I hope the Sox have a plan, because I don't have any idea what their strategy is right now.

FanOf14
12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
It's good to see someone in the media call out JR. It's too bad that he does not care what anyone thinks though (or so it seems).

joecrede
12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
I thought her article was typical of Sun-Times sports columnists. Lazily written and appealing to the masses.

Hangar18
12-16-2003, 12:33 PM
This Lady has been guilty of writing a ton of "Fluffy" articles,
but this is one Piece that has Guts to it. Nice Job
I think she couldve been a little harsher on them. Think of Mike Kiley angry and on crack ..........

Foulke You
12-16-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm not a big Carol Slezak fan, but this article was well written and right on the money. While it is "old hat" to everyone here at WSI, it is good to see that stuff getting exposure in a high circulation news source like the Sun-Times. The Reinsdorf regime deserves more bad press than they are getting.

pudge
12-16-2003, 01:42 PM
She's just figuring out why Ozzie was chosen?

She just never seems to add anything investigative to her columns - she never has any inside info or unique quotes from anybody. Our WSI writers could have easily written that column.

Iwritecode
12-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by pudge
She's just figuring out why Ozzie was chosen?

She just never seems to add anything investigative to her columns - she never has any inside info or unique quotes from anybody. Our WSI writers could have easily written that column.

While true, none of us would have reached as many people as she did/does.

I'm sure a lot more people read her story just today than the number of people that have read any of the stories on this site combined...

TheRockinMT
12-16-2003, 03:38 PM
I congratulated her on the article and think she is 100% correct about the organization. Cheap should only apply to the label "Made in China."

ode to veeck
12-16-2003, 07:30 PM
good article to make the big city press, as much as its all well known around here, good to see it getting appropriate press coverage

TornLabrum
12-16-2003, 08:22 PM
Send those straws to:

Jerry Reinsdorf
Chicago White Sox
333 W. 35th St.
Chicago, IL 60616

StillMissOzzie
12-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
While true, none of us would have reached as many people as she did/does.

I'm sure a lot more people read her story just today than the number of people that have read any of the stories on this site combined...

You and pudge are both right. Nothing new or earth-shattering, and nothing we haven't seen posted here for months now, but seeing it in a "real" newspaper makes it carry a little more weight. If anything, I agree that it could have been more scathing, but I think that the problem with ALL sports journalism is that the media can't be brutally honest when that should, lest they lose access to the jocks.

SMO
:angry:

red faber
12-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
You and pudge are both right. Nothing new or earth-shattering, and nothing we haven't seen posted here for months now, but seeing it in a "real" newspaper makes it carry a little more weight. If anything, I agree that it could have been more scathing, but I think that the problem with ALL sports journalism is that the media can't be brutally honest when that should, lest they lose access to the jocks.

SMO
:angry:

she did kind of overstate the obvious,but it's good to see a columnist thee the truth like that!!!

vegyrex
12-17-2003, 12:18 AM
"It's becoming more and more clear why Guillen was hired over Cito Gaston, who I believe was Williams' first choice to replace Jerry Manuel. Gaston, with a world of managerial experience and two World Series rings, would not have taken kindly to the Sox' downsizing. Whereas Guillen, a rookie manager, is simply thrilled to have the opportunity, no matter what kind of team he'll be handed come spring training."