PDA

View Full Version : mags dodgers second option

habibharu
12-16-2003, 11:15 AM
the dodgers will really go after mags if they garciaparra isnt availible soon.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-base16dec16,1,1135817.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Randar68
12-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by habibharu
the dodgers will really go after mags if they garciaparra isnt availible soon.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-base16dec16,1,1135817.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

I still don't understand why the Sox aren't being more active and public about the pursuit of Nomar if this all goes down. Despite Jose signed for 1 year, it's the position that has plagued the Sox for over a decade and they don't have any help on the way for 2-3 years minimum...

Oh well. This offseason has been a snoozer for White Sox hot stove fans.

BTW, if the Sox trade Rauch for Williamson, I might go down to 35th and Shields and strangle Kenny myself.

jabrch
12-16-2003, 11:24 AM
We aren't going after Nomar because he is a FA after this year and will command more than Tejada did. (6/72) He is also on the record as saying he wants to go back to the west coast. If we didn't spend 5mm to keep Jose, I could see going after Nomar for a year (and then get draft picks as comensation when he leaves) But we should have no intent on resigning him after next year if we get him.

Randar, what have you seen from Rauch leading you to believe he will make in on the MLB level? Williamson can start or can close. I think we need both of those things, right?

Randar68
12-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
We aren't going after Nomar because he is a FA after this year and will command more than Tejada did. (6/72) He is also on the record as saying he wants to go back to the west coast. If we didn't spend 5mm to keep Jose, I could see going after Nomar for a year (and then get draft picks as comensation when he leaves) But we should have no intent on resigning him after next year if we get him.

Randar, what have you seen from Rauch leading you to believe he will make in on the MLB level? Williamson can start or can close. I think we need both of those things, right?

Williamson can start? God I hope they aren't thinking that.

Rauch? How about, when he's healthy, he still has the ability to be a #2 or #3 pitcher at worst IMO.

I understand about going to the west coast, but anybody would be crazy to trade for him without signing an extension as part of the trade, IMO. Maggs being off the books, IMO, I doubt the Sox would have much trouble signing him to a contract similar to the 12-14 million Maggs was commanding. Nomar is worth more than Maggs, and IMO, it's not even close considering his position and defensive skills.

These guys all say they want to play close to where they grew up, but it all comes down to the $$$$.

Tekijawa
12-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Williamson can start? God I hope they aren't thinking that.

They are thinking about starting Schoeinweis... The Got a Guy in the Rule 5 draft slated for the Bullpen! This will be the least interesting off season EVER!!!

I can't wait to go to Sox fest this year and have the longest lines at Joe Crede and Miguel Olivo because those are the only guys we have left that started in the majors last year...

soxtalker
12-16-2003, 12:12 PM
I still don't understand why the Sox aren't being more active and public about the pursuit of Nomar if this all goes down. ...

I'm missing something here. Why should KW be public about the pursuit of anyone. I must admit that I'd love to know what he's doing and thinking, but I can't see any reason why this would help KW negotiate trades or FA signings. As far as the "acitve" part of this statement, I'd say that we really don't know what deals KW has been actively involved in.

Randar68
12-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I'm missing something here. Why should KW be public about the pursuit of anyone. I must admit that I'd love to know what he's doing and thinking, but I can't see any reason why this would help KW negotiate trades or FA signings. As far as the "acitve" part of this statement, I'd say that we really don't know what deals KW has been actively involved in.

I pretty-much agree in all of this, but Whote Sox fans everywhere are pretty pessimistic about the offseason moves thus far and any tidbit to get them excited isn't a bad thing, although false hope can bite you in the rear end.

I doubt I'm reaching, but I'd guess season ticket sales and renewals are down at this point compared to what they were expecting.

duke of dorwood
12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Sales down, indifference is up.

duke of dorwood
12-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Remember, there's no All Star game to hook people into renewing. Those idiots dont see that either

voodoochile
12-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Remember, there's no All Star game to hook people into renewing. Those idiots dont see that either

See it? They are planning their budget around it. They are expecting the ticket sales to go down and thus are not increasing payroll. Thus when sales actually DO go down, they will be proven right again.

Of course the fact that it amounts to wish fulfillment is way beyond their ability to understand.

Iwritecode
12-16-2003, 01:36 PM
I doubt I'm reaching, but I'd guess season ticket sales and renewals are down at this point compared to what they were expecting.

With the way they've been going this off-season, how much could they actually expect? Once they show a commitment to winning, the fans will show up.

Originally posted by duke of dorwood

Yea, they actually have to work to get the fans to show up this year...

Originally posted by voodoochile

See it? They are planning their budget around it. They are expecting the ticket sales to go down and thus are not increasing payroll. Thus when sales actually DO go down, they will be proven right again.

Of course the fact that it amounts to wish fulfillment is way beyond their ability to understand.

I think it's called "self-fulfilling prophecy". But you are correct.

They just can't seem to see the other side of it where if they spend money and improve the team, the fans will show up.