PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Williamson?

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 08:03 PM
The Red Sox also shopped Williamson to the Chicago White Sox, according to other sources.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6926649

A very other interesting tidbits. It seems as if the white sox would be very much so affected by the ramifications of the arod-manny trade

soxfan26
12-15-2003, 08:19 PM
With all these teams waiting on the big one to go down it will only make this offseson more agonizing for Sox fans. Hopefully it gets done soon.

I really wish "Pay-Rod" were a truck driver.

doublem23
12-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Man, if you combine all the players the Sox have been "interested in" this off-season, that's one helluva team. Probably better than the one we got now. :(:

CubKilla
12-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Man, if you combine all the players the Sox have been "interested in" this off-season, that's one helluva team. Probably better than the one we got now. :(:

And at SoxFest we'll hear about "how close" the White Sox were to sealing the deal with so many of the premier FA's because of Ozzie, the USCF renovations, the best ballpark food in all of MLB, etc.

Meanwhile, teams that are serious about winning are looking to deal their hand-me-downs to the White Sox after they acquire the Schilling's, Foulke's, and possibly, PayRod's of the baseball world.

Jjav829
12-15-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Sadly, you are right. Maybe for once one of these players we are interested in, will actually become a member of the White Sox.

:KW
"Did I mention I'm suddenly interested in Ron Coomer?"

jeremyb1
12-15-2003, 10:22 PM
We'd better be interested in Williamson considering the shape of our pen and the fact that he's available.

MHOUSE
12-15-2003, 11:04 PM
I'd take Williamson in a second. He was lights out for Boston.

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I'd take Williamson in a second. He was lights out for Boston.

Well in October he was lights out.

Before october he was sporting a 6.20 era with boston

Man Soo Lee
12-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Phil Rogers (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031215rogers,1,7346050.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) says:

According to major-league sources, White Sox general manager Ken Williams was trying to get right-hander Scott Williamson from Boston for a starting pitcher—possibly Dan Wright or Jon Rauch—who would be sent to Texas along with Ramirez.

santo=dorf
12-16-2003, 12:38 AM
Rauch OR Wright for Williamson? Shouldn't this post be made on the First day of the Fourth month of the year?

SoxxoS
12-16-2003, 12:57 AM
We stuck with Rauch this long, he showed some promise toward the end of last year...why not stick with him one more year.

Danny Wright, on the other hand...I'll drive him to Boston. I have had enough of him.

Man Soo Lee
12-16-2003, 03:39 AM
Some largely baseless speculation:

Rogers' article on Rauch/Wright and the earlier Maggs/Nomar rumor make me wonder if we couldn't be a bigger part of this deal.

If Manny/ARod happens, the Red Sox would seem to be in need of an outfield bat. Besides Vlad, there aren't really any significant OF bats left in free agency and the teams rumored to be after Nomar can't afford to trade offense. Boston could either deal Nomar to the Dodgers or Angels for pitching and make another trade for an OF or just swap Nomar for Maggs.

Texas trades ARod, receives Manny Ramirez/White Sox starter/Boston pitching prospect.

Boston trades Manny/Nomar/pitching prospect/Williamson, receives ARod and Magglio.

Sox trade Maggs/Rauch or Wright, receive Nomar/Williamson.

For 2004, the salaries are about even for each team. Texas gets two pitchers, a big bat, and future payroll flexibility. Boston gets two great players.

Williamson fills a hole in our pen and getting Nomar prevents the PR disaster of dumping Maggs. With Ordonez and Garciaparra off the market, the Dodgers might be forced to reconsider a Konerko or Valentin trade that would save us money and/or add pitching.

munchman33
12-16-2003, 05:24 AM
[i] With Ordonez and Garciaparra off the market, the Dodgers might be forced to reconsider a Konerko or Valentin trade that would save us money and/or add pitching. [/B]

I like the way you think. :D:

dougs78
12-16-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Man Soo Lee
Some largely baseless speculation:

Rogers' article on Rauch/Wright and the earlier Maggs/Nomar rumor make me wonder if we couldn't be a bigger part of this deal.

If Manny/ARod happens, the Red Sox would seem to be in need of an outfield bat. Besides Vlad, there aren't really any significant OF bats left in free agency and the teams rumored to be after Nomar can't afford to trade offense. Boston could either deal Nomar to the Dodgers or Angels for pitching and make another trade for an OF or just swap Nomar for Maggs.

Texas trades ARod, receives Manny Ramirez/White Sox starter/Boston pitching prospect.

Boston trades Manny/Nomar/pitching prospect/Williamson, receives ARod and Magglio.

Sox trade Maggs/Rauch or Wright, receive Nomar/Williamson.

For 2004, the salaries are about even for each team. Texas gets two pitchers, a big bat, and future payroll flexibility. Boston gets two great players.

Williamson fills a hole in our pen and getting Nomar prevents the PR disaster of dumping Maggs. With Ordonez and Garciaparra off the market, the Dodgers might be forced to reconsider a Konerko or Valentin trade that would save us money and/or add pitching.

Thats a very interesting scenario. However, it looks like that is not the case. According to this article (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2003/12/16/rodriguez_deal_gaining_momentum/) it is likely that the Sox will deal Nomar to the Dodgers. The exact quote is:

Sources confirmed that the Red Sox and Dodgers have discussed a deal in which Garciaparra would go to LA for a package that would include at least Greg Miller, a prized 19-year-old pitching prospect from the Dodger system, and possibly another pitching prospect as well, with one or both of those pitchers packaged with Ramirez and sent to Texas for Rodriguez. It was unclear whether the Dodgers would include a big-league player as part of the deal, but lefthander Odalis Perez is no longer being mentioned.

If that is truly all the Red Sox are getting for Nomar then I assume it is largely a salary dump. The article mentions that they have a left-fielder lined up to replace Ramirez, but they did not know who it was. All this would not bode well for any deal that would send Maggs to the Dodgers, unless they were intent on adding two big bats, but perhaps still might lead to a Konerko/Perez swap.

As with the rest of this offseason, its just too damn complicated, until something actually happens to set it off.

MRKARNO
12-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Anyone else see the multitude of four way trades possible between LA, Boston, Texas and the Chisox?

MHOUSE
12-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Anyone else see the multitude of four way trades possible between LA, Boston, Texas and the Chisox?

I can see something like this working out, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.

Brian26
12-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Rauch OR Wright for Williamson? Shouldn't this post be made on the First day of the Fourth month of the year?

Eh, I don't think it's that unfair at all. Wright has showed promise, but at times he's been beyond brutal. Rauch's career is now 3 years behind schedule, and there's no guarantee he'll ever be the same pitcher he could have been before the injury. Our bullpen is hurting right now, and Williamson could be a nice addition.