PDA

View Full Version : Did You Guys See This?

Unregistered
12-15-2003, 04:42 PM
From The NJ Star Ledger(whatever thats worth):

A Sample:
NEW ORLEANS -- White Sox slugger Frank Thomas hates his new manager and former teammate Ozzie Guillen so much that he has asked GM Kenny Williams to trade him, something Guillen would also like to see as part of the sweeping changes he has recommended to the team's management.

Guillen, hired by Chicago after helping the Marlins win the World Series as their third-base coach, has told Williams he should try to get rid of Thomas, Paul Konerko, Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee because he wants more athletic, faster players who are more adept at getting on base. Basically the kind of players who propelled the Marlins this past year.
What the hell is going on around here? Not sure how credible any of this is, but this sounds a helluva lot like a complete overhaul - and a little bit like "rebuilding"... :(:
Guillen Sure to be a Pain for Big Hurt (http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1071386013128020.xml?starledger?s)

edit: There is a opening page where you have to put your zip code or something, but thats all they want from you, I guess. No email signup or anything...

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Why is it that so many non-Chicago area papers have so much news about the white sox that the local papers are missing?

CubKilla
12-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Why is it that so many non-Chicago area papers have so much news about the white sox that the local papers are missing?

The Chicago Media is still creaming over the NLCS and the moves that the Cubs have made so far this offseason..... and rightfully so.

Randar68
12-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
From The NJ Star Ledger(whatever thats worth):

A Sample:
What the hell is going on around here? Not sure how credible any of this is, but this sounds a helluva lot like a complete overhaul - and a little bit like "rebuilding"... :(:
Guillen Sure to be a Pain for Big Hurt (http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1071386013128020.xml?starledger?s)

edit: There is a opening page where you have to put your zip code or something, but thats all they want from you, I guess. No email signup or anything...

Shockingly, these are basically the exact sentiments I expressed concerns about the day Ozzie was hired and the following days of turmoil. This is not going to be a happy marriage and all those creaming their pants over Ozzie as manager might as well get used to it.

jeremyb1
12-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Haha. If that's true - and I doubt it is - we have our problems cut out for us with Ozzie. Whatever happened to developing philosiphies as an organization and then selecting a manager that gels well with those philosophies. IE, if we believe we can win with big, potent bats like Frank, Maggs, Paully, and Carlos why hire a manager that wants to play smallball?

Unregistered
12-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Whatever happened to developing philosiphies as an organization and then selecting a manager that gels well with those philosophies. IE, if we believe we can win with big, potent bats like Frank, Maggs, Paully, and Carlos why hire a manager that wants to play smallball? That's the Reinsdorf Difference!
White Sox Baseball: Worse Than You Say It Is

pissonthecubs
12-15-2003, 05:34 PM
This is crazy. I had nothing good to say about Ozzie when they signed him to be the skipper and I have nothing good to say now. When you call out guys the first day you are on the job, and to the press and not behind closed doors, I really look down upon that. Trying to move Konerko or Lee would be fine with me. I'm still up in the air about getting rid of Frank and I know for sure that Mags can not go. He is one of those guys that need to stay in a White Sox jersey for his whole carrer. Seeing what KW is doing to this team really hurts. And seeing what the Chairman is doing to show us how much our faithfulness means to him really hurts. A couple more stupid moves, and i'll be watching games on the couch. I think i'll even pass up the free tickets I come up on a couple times a year.

SoxOnTop
12-15-2003, 05:37 PM
Well thank goodness we are getting this information about Chicago baseball from a quality source like the NJ Star Ledger.

As much as Ozzie wants to change the type of team this is I highly doubt he is pushing KW to get rid of Thomas, Lee, Konerko AND Maggs. That's just absurd. Plus, it gives all the Thomas appologists/Ozzie haters more gas for their already out of control fire.

fquaye149
12-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Well thank goodness we are getting this information about Chicago baseball from a quality source like the NJ Star Ledger.

and by way of new orleans no less

soxfan26
12-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Shockingly, these are basically the exact sentiments I expressed concerns about the day Ozzie was hired and the following days of turmoil. This is not going to be a happy marriage and all those creaming their pants over Ozzie as manager might as well get used to it.

The only thing this article proves is that there is not a whole lot of baseball news coming from the White Sox right now.

You can read the situation anyway you like. But this article means absolutely nothing.

JJAustin69
12-15-2003, 06:24 PM
And we thought Thomas vs Manuel was bad.

wassagstdu
12-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
... if we believe we can win with big, potent bats like Frank, Maggs, Paully, and Carlos why hire a manager that wants to play smallball?

Do we? Did we?

StockdaleForVeep
12-16-2003, 12:18 AM
So he wants a team of no hitting willie harris'?

bring out the clone machine

minastirith67
12-16-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
So he wants a team of no hitting willie harris'?

bring out the clone machine

I dig your Homer picture and caption, man, good job.

I hope this article is a bunch of bs, but something tells me that there's a ring of truth to it. I hope I'm wrong.

StockdaleForVeep
12-16-2003, 02:22 AM
Since he has some new found cub fetish now, maybe he will want us to trade thomas to the scubs for tony womack and a jump rope to teach our team speed

serena
12-16-2003, 02:45 AM
That is one of the most over-wrought articles I have ever read in my life. Lawrence Rocca must write gossip columns when the baseball meetings aren't in town.

I have no doubt there's tension between Guillen and Thomas, but I just can't believe that Guillen is running around running his mouth off to bozos like that reporter.

PLEASE LORD don't let that me be too naive about that! :o:

edited to add:
OK, this guy is definitely full of it. He writes:
Milwaukee, Oakland and the Cubs have all pursued catcher Chad Moeller, who appears to be headed to the Brewers....

Am I wrong, or was Moeller traded to the Brewers in the Sexson deal about two weeks ago?

There's a scoop! No kidding he's headed to the Brewers...