PDA

View Full Version : Rule 5 Draft


maurice
12-15-2003, 03:07 PM
I don't see much on the four guys the Sox picked up in the Rule 5 draft (Jason Grilli, Eric Stephenson, Frank Campos, and Darvin Withers). Unless I'm missing something, there's just a short thread on Grilli.

Dave? Randar? Vic? Kermitt? Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?

Linky (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20031215&content_id=618515&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

MarkEdward
12-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by maurice
I don't see much on the four guys the Sox picked up in the Rule 5 draft (Jason Grilli, Eric Stephenson, Frank Campos, and Darvin Withers). Unless I'm missing something, there's just a short thread on Grilli.

Dave? Randar? Vic? Kermitt? Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?

Linky (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20031215&content_id=618515&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Well, I can find their minor league stats for you:
Griili (http://www.baseballamerica.com/cgi-bin/statsfindplayer.pl?player=Grilli%2C+Jason)
Stephenson (http://www.baseballamerica.com/cgi-bin/statsfindplayer.pl?player=Stephenson%2C+Eric)
Campos (http://www.baseballamerica.com/cgi-bin/statsfindplayer.pl?player=Campos%2C+Francisco)
Withers (http://www.baseballamerica.com/cgi-bin/statsfindplayer.pl?player=Withers%2C+Darvin)

All pitchers, all with crappy numbers. Don't know anything about Stephenson or Withers, but Campos is 31 who just started pitching in the US last year.

I can't see Grilli making the Sox roster, so he'll probably get sent back to Florida.

Unregistered
12-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I can't see Grilli making the Sox roster, so he'll probably get sent back to Florida. According to the Whitesox.com, Grilli is a "strong" fifth starter candidate. :o:

CubKilla
12-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
According to the Whitesox.com, Grilli is a "strong" fifth starter candidate. :o:

This Organization is doomed :angry:

Daver
12-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by maurice
I don't see much on the four guys the Sox picked up in the Rule 5 draft (Jason Grilli, Eric Stephenson, Frank Campos, and Darvin Withers). Unless I'm missing something, there's just a short thread on Grilli.



Move along,nothing to see here........

:bandance:

Grilli is the only one with an outside chance of making an MLB roster,if he can prove healthy.None of the four are worth getting excited about.

With the way the Sox are handling moves this offseason they will probably all make the roster.........

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 06:42 PM
30 strikeouts and 6 walks in A ball....

Not bad not bad.

Maybe Girilli will shock you all and make the roster.

Remember the AL GM who said

"You're not making the playoffs with Esteban Loaiza as your fourth starter."

Well they didnt make the playoffs but it wasnt because of Loaiza. And all 29 teams passed on him so they all have to feel stupid now.

The point is taht you never know. Buehrle was a 37th round pick

StockdaleForVeep
12-16-2003, 01:24 AM
I think my sig explains enuff as to what i think about one of these jag bags bein our 5th starter.

wheres rocky biddle when i want him

chosk8
12-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Grilli was rated the #1 prospect in the Giants organization back in 19998 & 1999. He was the #4 overall draft pick of the Giants in 1997. I believe he was traded to the Marlins in the Livian Hernandez trade in, I believe 2000. I also think he had some arm problems somewhere along the line as well. Very highly touted coming out of college though. The Sox have had some luck developing pitchers in the minors and maybe think they can do some good with this guy and make him live up to his potential. Below is the write up on him back when he was first drafted.

On another note, maybe someone else can help out with this, but Daver said "Grilli is the only one with an outside chance of making an MLB roster". It was my understanding, or maybe misunderstanding, that a player taken in the Rule 5 draft must remain on the 25-man active roster or the DL or be returned to the team they were originally taken from. Maybe they are just taking a "flyer" on a couple of these guys hoping to catch lightining in a bottle, and will just attempt to return them if things don't work out. Anyone know the particulars of the Rule 5 draft?


1. Jason Grilli, RHP
Age: 22 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-4 Wt: 185
Drafted: Seton Hall, 1997 (1st) Signed by: Alan Marr

Background: After being drafted with the No. 4 overall pick in 1997, Grilli held out too long and missed the season. He quickly made up for lost time that fall in instructional league and Hawaii Winter Baseball, where he was named the now-defunct league's last No. 1 prospect. He threw 163 innings last year between Double-A and Triple-A in his first full season and the Giants wisely kept him from any winter ball action. His father, Steve, is a former big league righthander and works as a scout with the Cardinals.

Strengths: Grilli's strengths go beyond his raw stuff. He throws an above-average fastball that tops out at 94 mph and has excellent late-moving life. His changeup also is a plus pitch. But best of all, Grilli has the potential to have solid command of both pitches because a mechanically-sound, low-maintenance delivery enables him to consistently spot his pitches low in the strike zone. And Grilli's makeup may outstrip his stuff. Grilli grew up around big league clubhouses and the Giants say he has the mental toughness, poise and understanding of winning that good big leaguers have.

Weaknesses: Scouts felt Grilli's top pitch in college was his knee-buckling curveball, but Grilli struggled at times last year to find his touch and control of the pitch. His lack of innings and a consistent breaking ball were exposed when Grilli was hit harder after his promotion to Triple-A.

The Future: The one major flaw on the Giants roster last year was a reliance on veteran righthanders such as Danny Darwin, Mark Gardner and Orel Hershiser, who combined for 563 innings. The organization is counting heavily on Grilli to lead a group of strong-armed prospects into the rotation over the next two years. While Grilli probably won't start '99 in the majors, he should make his big league debut sometime this season.

MarkEdward
12-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by chosk8

On another note, maybe someone else can help out with this, but Daver said "Grilli is the only one with an outside chance of making an MLB roster". It was my understanding, or maybe misunderstanding, that a player taken in the Rule 5 draft must remain on the 25-man active roster or the DL or be returned to the team they were originally taken from. Maybe they are just taking a "flyer" on a couple of these guys hoping to catch lightining in a bottle, and will just attempt to return them if things don't work out. Anyone know the particulars of the Rule 5 draft?


Daver will probably be more thorough, but since Grilli was taken in the major league portion of the Rule 5 Draft, then he must remain on the 25-man roster of the Sox for the entire year, or else he'll get sent back to Florida. This doesn't apply to the other players we took since they were taken in the minor league portion of the draft.

maurice
12-16-2003, 01:23 PM
IIRC, he doesn't go back automatically, but rather only needs to be offered back. Florida would have to pay a fee to reclaim him. Given his age, injury history, and the fact that he didn't make their 40-man roster, they might not want him back.

Daver
12-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by maurice
IIRC, he doesn't go back automatically, but rather only needs to be offered back. Florida would have to pay a fee to reclaim him. Given his age, injury history, and the fact that he didn't make their 40-man roster, they might not want him back.

A team claiming a player in the rule 5 draft ( Major League portion) pays a claim fee of fifty thousand dollars to the team he is claimed from,if that player then fails to make the twenty five man roster he is returned to the team he was claimed from in return for half of the claim fee.