PDA

View Full Version : Ohio paper reports: Sox have signed Ponson

clarkent
12-15-2003, 10:17 AM
I know the Akron paper is not the Sun Times or Trib, but they are reporting that the Sox may have signed Ponson.
http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/sports/7494647.

delben91
12-15-2003, 10:20 AM
I was just about to throw this up there, beat me to it dude.

DirtySouthsider
12-15-2003, 10:21 AM
If this is true....3 years 18 million isn't a bad deal!

Risk
12-15-2003, 10:23 AM
To qoute Mr. Burns from the Simpsons

"Exxxxcallent."

Risk

poorme
12-15-2003, 10:25 AM
I think that's a good move. If he can pitch like he did last year. Of course he could pull a Jaime Navarro imitation.

Gumshoe
12-15-2003, 10:26 AM
HE BETTER do well. I wanted Freddy Garcia, not another one year wonder pitcher. Well, at the very least he is an AL guy.

Pitching baby.

Gumshoe

duke of dorwood
12-15-2003, 10:28 AM
This does not replace Colon, if its true. Everyone says we have such great offense, remember where we finished in offensive catagoreis last year? And add the great willie Harris/Uribe machine to this? We have no hitting in center, second, short, catcher. Remember, it takes runs to win in the AL

wsgdf
12-15-2003, 10:29 AM
I won't believe this story until I see it on ESPN or whitesox.com.
I wonder if this is dependent on Maggs being traded - otherwise I don't see how they could possibly add $6 mil.

SoxxoS
12-15-2003, 10:31 AM
If this is true, 3 years 18 million is a really good deal. And I don't think KW is done yet, I wouldn't be suprised if he pulls the trigger and gets Perez or Garcia, which would make a pretty formitable rotation.

Especially if (we haven't been saying this for too many years) Garland finally reaches his potential.

CHISOXFAN13
12-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by wsgdf
I won't believe this story until I see it on ESPN or whitesox.com.
I wonder if this is dependent on Maggs being traded - otherwise I don't see how they could possibly add $6 mil.

Maybe, just maybe Resindorf realized there was a tremendous boom in attendance last year when the Sox were in contention and being proactive pays off in the long run.

I'm with everyone else. I'll wait until it's official to celebrate. Why wouldn't any Chicago beat reporters have nuggets about this?

SoxxoS
12-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Maybe, just maybe Resindorf realized there was a tremendous boom in attendance last year when the Sox were in contention and being proactive pays off in the long run.

I'm with everyone else. I'll wait until it's official to celebrate. Why wouldn't any Chicago beat reporters have nuggets about this?

Because they haven't been right on anything else, so why start now?

Unregistered
12-15-2003, 10:37 AM
Hmmm...didn't he turn down a $7 million dollar extension from the Giants? I thought now that Colon was signed, teams were putting Ponson on the top of their wish list. Hmm.. either this story is bunk, the numbers are wrong or, for some unknown reason, Ponson took a deal to come to the Sox...

hold2dibber
12-15-2003, 10:38 AM
At $6 million/year, Ponson would be a great addition. They would still need another starter, but this would definitely be a step in the right direction. A subsequent deal for Garcia, Washburn or Perez would give the Sox the best rotation in the AL Central.

Chisoxfn
12-15-2003, 10:40 AM
IF this is true, then I think this is a sweet deal.

SoxxoS
12-15-2003, 10:45 AM
Everybody take a deep breath. We are Sox fans. These kind of deals don't happen to us. I was excited, but now I am considering the source and our past on these matters, and now I believe the story is crap.

Believe that it is crap as well, and you won't get dissapointed.

serena
12-15-2003, 10:53 AM
The Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1071489310262100.xml) also reported that the White Sox "are close" to signing Ponson ...

Tragg
12-15-2003, 10:56 AM
If we then trade Maggs and get Garcia, maybe Winn for a leadoff hitter and one of their 3 or 4 stud prospects, we'll be fine.
Just need some bullpen help - maybe one veteran reliever (for konerko?) and then let a couple of our good minor league pitchers fill roles there.
And a left handed bench bat.

With a rotation of MB, Garland, EL, Garcia and Ponson, we may not have a real ace, but we may not have anything worse than a #3 starter either, if they all pitch to their capabilities

Palehose13
12-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Please, pleae, please be true...

But one question...why the leak in Ohio?

Win1ForMe
12-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Is this some bizarro world where White Sox info is only available to the Cleveland news papers and not any other media outlets?

jabrch
12-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by serena
The Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1071489310262100.xml) also reported that the White Sox "are close" to signing Ponson ...

Welcome aboard! I hope that comes true - it would be very good news for us and would give us the best rotation in the central. (tallest midget in the midget colony?)

habibharu
12-15-2003, 11:23 AM
i dont understand this ponson stuff. i think that the sox were close but then ponson said no deal. that has to be it. how could the trib or suntimes not have it by now?????

santo=dorf
12-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
HE BETTER do well. I wanted Freddy Garcia, not another one year wonder pitcher. Well, at the very least he is an AL guy.

Pitching baby.

Gumshoe

Would you rather sign a pitcher on a rise or a decline?

doublem23
12-15-2003, 11:40 AM
For the record now, that link does not link to a story about Ponson and the Sox and I can't find a story about that on their Baseball section anywhere.

Ponson for pennies would rock my sox (no pun intended... well, a little), but I won't believe it until I see it. In other news, that site is talking the Indians are high on Todd Walker. Now there's a guy who'd fit the "grinder" model KW now so covets. Ink him, Kenny! Ink!

lowesox
This is a good signing if it's true. I think because of Colons health risks Ponson may actually be an upgrade.

Now, if we could get one other good starter (ie. Garcia) things could be looking up for next year.

CHISOXFAN13
Originally posted by habibharu
i dont understand this ponson stuff. i think that the sox were close but then ponson said no deal. that has to be it. how could the trib or suntimes not have it by now?????

The initial offer was a two-year deal. Maybe the three years was the magic number for him.

poorme
12-15-2003, 11:42 AM
It would seem the Orioles could blow anyone out of the water with money....and they need pitching. :?:

doublem23
12-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by poorme
It would seem the Orioles could blow anyone out of the water with money....and they need pitching. :?:

How much more money could they afford to blow, with offers to a number of the off-season's biggest names on the table? Seems to me, if the Sox are going to go after Ponson, they better get the deal done fast before the O's have time to get their payroll straightened out.

anewman35
12-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
For the record now, that link does not link to a story about Ponson and the Sox and I can't find a story about that on their Baseball section anywhere.

Both links do mention Ponson and the Sox, if you read the middle of the articles.

doublem23
12-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Both links do mention Ponson and the Sox, if you read the middle of the articles.

Oh. :D:

SoxxoS
12-15-2003, 11:46 AM
The Orioles look like a little better hitting Texas Rangers to me.

Foulke You
12-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Hmmm, an Akron newspaper and a Cleveland newspaper? A little odd. I hope it is true but I won't get my hopes up until a more respectable news source posts the rumor.

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 12:24 PM
It seems like the payroll is going to go up based on what Kenny Williams has said.

MHOUSE
12-15-2003, 12:28 PM
I'll believe it when I see it on a credible news source.

joecrede
12-15-2003, 12:28 PM
From the NJ Star-Ledger: (http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1071385916128020.xml)

SIDNEY PONSON'S stock fell a lot after the way he pitched for the Giants, but he's reportedly drawn a three-year $18 million offer from the pitching starved White Sox. Keep an eye on Baltimore to make a late run at trying to bring back Ponson.

hold2dibber
12-15-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
From the NJ Star-Ledger: (http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1071385916128020.xml)

"SIDNEY PONSON'S stock fell a lot after the way he pitched for the Giants, but he's reportedly drawn a three-year $18 million offer from the pitching starved White Sox. Keep an eye on Baltimore to make a late run at trying to bring back Ponson."

I keep hearing people say that Ponson pitched poorly for the Giants, but in fact he pitched quite well. What gives?

SoxxoS
12-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I keep hearing people say that Ponson pitched poorly for the Giants, but in fact he pitched quite well. What gives?

They are looking at the win loss record. He pitched almost the exact same for both teams.

Hangar18
12-15-2003, 12:37 PM
According to a Reliable source I have, Ponson is currently in Baltimore MD. So the "late-run" part is probably true, and he'll be resigning with the ORIOLES instead shortly .............

CHISOXFAN13
12-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
According to a Reliable source I have, Ponson is currently in Baltimore MD. So the "late-run" part is probably true, and he'll be resigning with the ORIOLES instead shortly .............

So the Orioles are going to sign Pudge, Tejada, Vlad and Ponson??

I'll believe that when I see it, too.

Palehose13
12-15-2003, 12:48 PM

I hope that your reliable source is wrong. :(:

FanOf14
12-15-2003, 01:05 PM
So the Orioles are going to sign Pudge, Tejada, Vlad and Ponson??

I'll believe that when I see it, too.

From reports on ESPN last night, Tejada is already signed...1 down 3 to go. :(:

habibharu
12-15-2003, 01:29 PM
what reliable source would that be?

doublem23
12-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It seems like the payroll is going to go up based on what Kenny Williams has said.

Good thing the Sox decided to join the baseball party when all the best players left the market.

KingXerxes
12-15-2003, 01:31 PM
ESPN radio reported a few minutes ago that Baltimore looks like it's making a run at Ponson.

maurice
12-15-2003, 02:01 PM
what reliable source would that be?

Probably Steff.

Hokiesox
12-15-2003, 02:13 PM
I'll have to go out and buy my orioles jersey right away

Hangar18
12-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
ESPN radio reported a few minutes ago that Baltimore looks like it's making a run at Ponson.

I told you guys a few mins ago....My source told me Ponson
was in BALTIMORE as of this morning......im just putting 2 and
2 together......

lowesox
12-15-2003, 02:43 PM
This is awful - finally a rumor that brings us hope and then what?

NOthing.

anewman35
12-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
This is awful - finally a rumor that brings us hope and then what?

NOthing.

Man, it's been a couple hours, and I haven't even seen anything firm saying the O's are close to signing Ponson. At least wait until something happens before giving up.

Dan H
12-15-2003, 03:35 PM
As of now (3:35pm Dec 15) there is nothing on the official Baltimore O's website announcing any signing. We will see how serious the Sox are.

KingXerxes
12-15-2003, 03:45 PM
It would not bother me at all if we took a pass on this guy at $6mm per year.

lowesox
12-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Man, it's been a couple hours, and I haven't even seen anything firm saying the O's are close to signing Ponson. At least wait until something happens before giving up.

At this point, I think it would be reported by a Chicago paper if it were true.

Phil Rogers, if you're reading this, any chance you can clear up what's going on???

ARoman27
12-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Don't forget the Ozzie Guillen factor. Guillen is quite close with Ponson and it was rumored early in the off-season that they spoke? Don't know if that helps our cause at all, but I will still wait to hear from a reliable source that this is a deal. Sorry Ohio.

santo=dorf
12-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by ARoman27
Don't forget the Ozzie Guillen factor. Guillen is quite close with Ponson and it was rumored early in the off-season that they spoke? Don't know if that helps our cause at all, but I will still wait to hear from a reliable source that this is a deal. Sorry Ohio.

I didn't know Guillen was close to Ponson. Maybe he'll try and convince the Cubs to sign him.

rmusacch
12-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I didn't know Guillen was close to Ponson. Maybe he'll try and convince the Cubs to sign him.

That made me laugh.

Tekijawa
12-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I didn't know Guillen was close to Ponson.

I think the real question is How much angrier would this make Frank as that seems to be the "Plan B" that Kenny's been talking about!

I think JR's ultimate goal is to have no one enter the HOF wearing a SOX jersey under his watch, Frank is the one threat to this plan!I can't wait to visit cooperstown and see Frank's bust smiling back at me with LA on his cap!

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Well Frank isn't close to Guillen so at least he's not going to the cubs

Baby Fisk
12-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I think JR's ultimate goal is to have no one enter the HOF wearing a SOX jersey under his watch, Frank is the one threat to this plan!I can't wait to visit cooperstown and see Frank's bust smiling back at me with LA on his cap!

Howls of derisive, bitter laughter! :whiner:

Irishlawyer
12-15-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ARoman27

Ozzie did not help with Alomar. Why would it help with Ponson?

Tekijawa
12-15-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Howls of derisive, bitter laughter! :whiner:

I guess we're lucky Hawk still isn't GM, they'd probably Put Frank in Right, Have Ross Gload DH and Konerko play First... I hope I didn't give anyone any ideas!

Hangar18
12-15-2003, 04:40 PM
Lets end this thread right here.
Hes not coming here.

Baby Fisk
12-15-2003, 04:43 PM
I guess we're lucky Hawk still isn't GM, they'd probably Put Frank in Right, Have Ross Gload DH and Konerko play First... I hope I didn't give anyone any ideas!
And don't forget, Hawk would attack the manager behind his back until the situation exploded into bitter personal acrimony and Ozzie got sacked so management could save face. The only man left to take the job would then be -- wait for it -- Jim Fregosi! :whiner:

anewman35
12-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Hes not coming here.

No offense, but what makes you and your unnamed source any more reliable than the papers in Ohio?

CubKilla
12-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Hes not coming here.

Agreed. Threads like these reveal the true gluttons for punishment. Don't get hope one up until you see "Sox Sign Ponson" on an official website or hear the report by a national/local sports broadcasting channel/station.

Hangar18
12-15-2003, 04:46 PM
No offense, but what makes you and your unnamed source any more reliable than the papers in Ohio?

Because one team Upped their offer, and, putting 2 and 2 together, I know our Beloved wont match the offer. He'll
be an Oriole again shortly

anewman35
12-15-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Agreed. Threads like these reveal the true gluttons for punishment. Don't get hope one up until you see "Sox Sign Ponson" on an official website or hear the report by a national/local sports broadcasting channel/station.

Well, that advise is good for any trade/deal, there's been plenty in the past that looked like sure things but fell apart. I don't see what's wrong with speculating, though. It's a lot less annoying than the normal pessimism I see here (or at least it was, until everybody decided the O's had signed him).

CHISOXFAN13
Because one team Upped their offer, and, putting 2 and 2 together, I know our Beloved wont match the offer. He'll
be an Oriole again shortly

Where is the proof on Baltimore uppin their offer?

This thread must die but another that was started by someone on this board was allowed to live forever????

dickallen15
I believe his source is Steff. She has talked to Ponson and the Sox haven't talked to him since last week.

CHISOXFAN13
12-15-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
I believe his source is Steff. She has talked to Ponson and the Sox haven't talked to him since last week.

I'm not sure how much I can take. I am beyond furious with this ridiculous offseason.

I know everyone else is, too.

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 04:51 PM
Well the 3 year 18 million dollar offer is not the first offer. It started at 2 years, no disclosed dollar amount and obviously went up so I dont see why it theoretically couldnt go up

joecrede
12-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Can we say with much degree of certainty which one of these three pitchers, Garcia, Perez, or Ponson, will have the better year in '04?

jeremyb1
12-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15

Personally, I'd be shocked that any legitimate newspaper would print a completely unsubstantiated story so it'd suprise me that we haven't so much as talked in a week.

Hangar18
12-15-2003, 04:57 PM
all I know is, this team did NOTHING, and there all were left with
is the scraps the Big Teams DIDNT want. How are we supposed to build a "championship" team from that?

CHISOXFAN13
12-15-2003, 05:01 PM
is the scraps the Big Teams DIDNT want. How are we supposed to build a "championship" team from that?

So you already know will be non-tendered come this weekend?

Hangar18
12-15-2003, 05:02 PM

unfortuneately ..... no

MarqSox
12-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Ask the Florida Marlins.

Tekijawa
12-15-2003, 05:09 PM

I bet the Akron Beacon Journal does!

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 05:10 PM
I bet the Akron Beacon Journal does! Probably the New-Jersey Star Ledger as well

RichH55
12-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Assuming we do sign him 18 over 3 years...does that mean something like 4 million the first year? With Todd Walker only being offered 2.4 million.....Patience might be a virtue

steff
12-15-2003, 05:43 PM
It seems Cleveland is a few days behind. The last time the Sox spoke to Sidney, according to him, was the 9th. He's in Baltimore right now. He had a meeting with them this morning. And it does not sound like the Sox are willing to rise to what the O's have offered. His first choice, as I said back on the 9th, is to stay there. Can't say I blame him.

jeremyb1
12-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by steff
It seems Cleveland is a few days behind. The last time the Sox spoke to Sidney, according to him, was the 9th. He's in Baltimore right now. He had a meeting with them this morning. And it does not sound like the Sox are willing to rise to what the O's have offered. His first choice, as I said back on the 9th, is to stay there. Can't say I blame him.

According to the article at whitesox.com, Reinsdorf and Ponson's agent had a discussion this morning.

Unregistered
12-15-2003, 05:45 PM
It seems Cleveland is a few days behind. The last time the Sox spoke to Sidney, according to him, was the 9th. He's in Baltimore right now. He had a meeting with them this morning. According to the Sox Official site, JR met with his agent yesterday. :?:

Unregistered
12-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Check that, Jeremy's right - this morning.

steff
12-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
According to the article at whitesox.com, Reinsdorf and Ponson's agent had a discussion this morning.

I didn't talk to Sid's agent so I have no idea who he talked to.

pissonthecubs
12-15-2003, 05:48 PM
At 3 years/$18 mil that would be a great deal... but I'll wait til i see it to believe it. Also i just heard that the Sox are keeping the payroll at somewhere about $55 to $59 mil, but with the roster how it is now, that is about 12 or 13 players, so where would Ponson or better yet, Freddie Garcia fit under our payroll "cap"?? I think its easy to say that we will not see Konerko, Lee, or Frank or Mags on the diamond in '04

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 05:50 PM
I didn't talk to Sid's agent so I have no idea who he talked to.

Just curious, how do you know Ponson? It's pretty cool the connections we have on the board

steff
12-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Just curious, how do you know Ponson? It's pretty cool the connections we have on the board

Introduced from other friends.

joecrede
12-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by pissonthecubs
I think its easy to say that we will not see Konerko, Lee, or Frank or Mags on the diamond in '04

I hope you're right with the exception of Thomas. Here's a quick look at 19 players who could make up the roster and their estimated salaries:

Maggs $14,000,000
Konerko $8,000,000
Koch $6,375,000
Thomas $6,000,000
Valentin $5,000,000
Loaiza $4,000,000
Buehrle $3,500,000
Garland $2,300,000
Alomar $750,000
Uribe $750,000
Marte $500,000
Rowand $400,000
Wright $400,000
Crede $350,000
Olivo $350,000
Ginter $325,000
Sanders $325,000
Harris $325,000
Reed $300,000

This totals $54M without Lee. If they can make the right deal for Ordonez the payroll goes down to $40M and maybe fills a spot in the rotation and/or pen.

steff
12-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

Is it Barry or Jeffrey that met with him.. or does it say?

jabrch
12-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Ask the Florida Marlins.

Do you honestly think that we have even close to the talent of the Marlins? I mean - marginally close?

Florida had a far superior team to what we are on pace to put on the field.

pearso66
12-15-2003, 06:18 PM
steff, it says he met with Barry Praver

pudge
12-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Can't say I blame him.

Do you say this because of the money or because you believe the Sox are a bad team to play for?

Taking money out of the equation, I'd actually prefer a team that might have a chance at winning its division for the next 3 years as opposed to a team that will have no shot, regardless of Tejada, I-Rod or whatever.

joeynach
12-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Everybody take a deep breath. We are Sox fans. These kind of deals don't happen to us. I was excited, but now I am considering the source and our past on these matters, and now I believe the story is crap.

Believe that it is crap as well, and you won't get dissapointed.

Yeah especially since the paper already took the article down. The link dont work. Its bogus!

SD Scott 7
12-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Yeah especially since the paper already took the article down. The link dont work. Its bogus!

This is really demoralizing. It is a microcosm of what it is like to be a White Sox fan.

Daver
12-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by SD Scott 7
This is really demoralizing. It is a microcosm of what it is like to be a White Sox fan.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

jordan23ventura
12-15-2003, 07:37 PM

Ask the Florida Marlins.

Yes, ask the Florida Marlins - if we can trade Konerko, Koch, and our minor league system for theirs.

flo-B-flo
12-15-2003, 08:45 PM
i dont understand this ponson stuff. i think that the sox were close but then ponson said no deal. that has to be it. how could the trib or suntimes not have it by now????? Probably because it isn't true. Another f#@*%$ internet rumor.

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-15-2003, 10:08 PM
come on atleast announce something sox

MarqSox
12-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Do you honestly think that we have even close to the talent of the Marlins? I mean - marginally close?

Florida had a far superior team to what we are on pace to put on the field.
The question was how do we expect to win a championship off the scraps of other teams.

Do I honestly think the Sox are marginally close to the Marlins? Taking a step back and comparing the lineups and pitching staffs side by side, they're absolutely comparable. The Marlins probably have the edge, but it's definitely "marginally close."

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 10:21 PM
Here's what I know works:

Teams that have good chemistry (maybe the D-backs werent known for this, but every other WS champ since the braves had this pretty much)

Here's what i know doesnt work:

Collection of talent. Ask Texas, and the Yankees of late.

doublem23
12-15-2003, 10:25 PM
I doubt anyone knows anything, so who gives a ****? He'll end up where he ends up. Call me crazy, but Ponson is a 27-year old, 6-year vet who never won more than 12 games until last year and has a career 4.52 ERA and still has a losing career record... I'd like to have him for $6 million a year, but if the O's are going to jack his price up, let them pay out the nose to wallow in the cellar. Get Freddie Garcia.

doublem23
12-15-2003, 10:27 PM
The question was how do we expect to win a championship off the scraps of other teams.

Do I honestly think the Sox are marginally close to the Marlins? Taking a step back and comparing the lineups and pitching staffs side by side, they're absolutely comparable. The Marlins probably have the edge, but it's definitely "marginally close."

Agreed, the Marlins aren't any better than the Sox, they just had/have a better field general running the show.

rcescato
12-15-2003, 10:36 PM
the only reason i would believe this is true is because
whitesox.com reported that Reinsdorf had a private meeting
with ponson's agent early monday morning. I just hope its true
we need something to be excited about.
rich

SD Scott 7
12-15-2003, 10:39 PM
:tomatoaward
+ 100!

Clembasbal
12-15-2003, 10:49 PM
It is soo odd, but I think people are failing to realize that Freddie Garcia sucks.

Look at his stats...you will notice a downward trend...also, am I the only guy who remembers how terrible a pitcher he is to start a season. I mean he was terrible last year, just plan out terrible.

I have always liked Sidney Ponson, but I do not like him now because I keep hearing he has a shoulder problem and he played well enough to get a big contract -- shows me why he fell apart in SanFran.

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
It is soo odd, but I think people are failing to realize that Freddie Garcia sucks.

Garcia:

0.67 ERA in his last four starts down the stretch. Dont you wish he were there to stop the bleeding? But he had a slow start like everyone else so getting him would just be a hope that he could return to pre 2003 form.

Ponson:

Very Consistant. Outside of his first game, he never gave up more than 5 ER in ANY start and never pitched less than 5 innings. His ERA was very stable the entire year. Sounds like exactly what the Sox need. Best option probably.

Perez:

Pitched 2/3 of his games away from Chavez Ravine this year. Could this be telling of what he'll do on the road in a different city. Of the three rumors, this is the one I'd be most willing to pass on.

steff
12-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
steff, it says he met with Barry Praver

Barry is the ball buster. If the Sox are willing to spend.. he'll get it out of them. Jeff is the "money" man.

steff
12-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Do you say this because of the money or because you believe the Sox are a bad team to play for?

Taking money out of the equation, I'd actually prefer a team that might have a chance at winning its division for the next 3 years as opposed to a team that will have no shot, regardless of Tejada, I-Rod or whatever.

Because I don't think the Sox have a shot this year. Obviously, Baltimore is looking real good today. And I don't think they're done (pitching aside)

pudge
12-15-2003, 11:57 PM
Because I don't think the Sox have a shot this year. Obviously, Baltimore is looking real good today. And I don't think they're done (pitching aside)

I'm down on the Sox too, but if I had to bet money on the Sox or O's having a shot at the play-offs, I'd easily bet on the Sox... the Twins are losing guys, the Royals have made minor additions, it's still an incredibly winnable division. The O's will once again overspend on free agents, like they did with Will Clark and Albert Belle, setting them back several years.

doublem23
12-16-2003, 12:22 AM

The Orioles would win any other division, but they have two behemoths to leapfrog... Not to mention an improving Blue Jays team and a young Devil Ray team that started to put **** together at the end of the year. Barring major injuries on all four division rivals, the Orioles are screwed.

DSpivack
12-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
The Orioles would win any other division, but they have two behemoths to leapfrog... Not to mention an improving Blue Jays team and a young Devil Ray team that started to put **** together at the end of the year. Barring major injuries on all four division rivals, the Orioles are screwed.

Screwed? They might not finish last, but yeah, they certainly won't finish first.

As for the Sox, I don't see how they aren't at least contenders to win the division this year...only by default.

The AL Central is going to suck this year, big time.

Probably will be kind of like the NBA this year...

In the Atlantic Division, .500 means first place...

In the Mountain division, .500 means last place.

Hangar18
12-16-2003, 07:08 AM
Introduced from other friends.

and I know Steff

hold2dibber
12-16-2003, 08:03 AM
I have always liked Sidney Ponson, but I do not like him now because I keep hearing he has a shoulder problem and he played well enough to get a big contract -- shows me why he fell apart in SanFran.

Aggghhh! Please stop saying he sucked for the Giants without actually checking it out. He had a 3.71 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP for San Francisco last year. How is that falling apart? Here are his IP and ER for each of his 10 starts for the Giants:

7.1/2
6.2/5
8.1/3
6.0/2
7.2/1
8.0/0
6.0/4
6.0/4
5.0/5
7.0/2

In 10 starts, he had 2 bad starts, 2 okay starts and 6 outstanding starts. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

MRKARNO
12-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Ponson was one of the most consistant starters in the major leagues last year

jabrch
12-16-2003, 10:47 AM

Look at his stats...you will notice a downward trend...also, am I the only guy who remembers how terrible a pitcher he is to start a season. I mean he was terrible last year, just plan out terrible.

When sober, Freddy Garcia is a solid #2 SP. That's the problem...

Paid Santiago
12-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Sidney Ponson, Freddy Garcia, Arthur Rhodes, Scott williamson & Maels Rodriguez should be the white sox main priorities this off season. If the white sox acquired/signed these players we could talk about more then an Al central title and instead talk of world series dreams.

"Good" Pitching depth>ANYTHING

hold2dibber
12-18-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Paid Santiago
Sidney Ponson, Freddy Garcia, Arthur Rhodes, Scott williamson & Maels Rodriguez should be the white sox main priorities this off season. If the white sox acquired/signed these players we could talk about more then an Al central title and instead talk of world series dreams.

"Good" Pitching depth>ANYTHING

I like you're thinking, but that's $20 million (at least) worth of pitchers you're talking about:

Ponson: $7 million
Garcia: $5 million
Rhodes: $2 million
Williamson: $3 million
Rodriguez: $3 million

Those are conservative estimates. I'd love to see all those guys in black pinstripes in '04, but they'd have to move Maggs and either Koch, Konerko, Thomas or Lee, or three of Koch, Konerko, Lee and Thomas. And not get any salary in return. Not gonna happen.