PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Season tix... Did you re-up? Why or why not?

Kilroy
12-15-2003, 10:58 AM
I just got off the phone after paying my deposit for my seats. I have admit, I thought long and hard about whether I was going to do it or not.

My wife said that we should skip it because they are even listening to offers for Maggs. I may have to tie her down for a month or so if he gets traded.

I was hesitant because I didn't think we're being agressive enuf this off season, but after looking at it, I think that with the players we have right now, along with some additions (hopefully), the Sox should be able to compete. And I decided take a chance on seeing Ozzie eliminate corpseball from the south-side.

So I made the call and laid out the cash. I'm not gonna say anything like "this is their last chance w/ me" or any of that stuff. But I will say that its no longer the automatic purchase it used to be...

duke of dorwood
12-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Compete? Maybe in the terrible division they are in. That does not even warrant a thought about investing in this team right now. Right Now, Anaheim, Oakland Seattle, NY, Toronto, Boston, are definately better than us, KC is better in the dugout and up the middle, and when the Orioles finish spending, they will be better too.

Jerko
12-15-2003, 11:28 AM
The fact that Willie Harris is even being considered for a starting job makes me hesitant to renew my tickets. The ONLY reason I may renew them is because all my friends are renewing theirs and the only time I really see them is at Sox games.

Kilroy
12-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Compete? Maybe in the terrible division they are in. That does not even warrant a thought about investing in this team right now. Right Now, Anaheim, Oakland Seattle, NY, Toronto, Boston, are definately better than us, KC is better in the dugout and up the middle, and when the Orioles finish spending, they will be better too.

I agree, but who thought the Marlins could compete? Not saying we'll go to the series, but there's a reason they actually play the games. The best team on paper isn't always the best team on the field...

bestkosher
12-15-2003, 11:53 AM
ahmen to that kilroy,

money only equals name not always talent

Tragg
12-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Good for you, Kilroy. Season tickets in baseball are a big committment in money and time.

Just out of interest, how many of the 81 games do you usually attend?

Hangar18
12-15-2003, 01:31 PM
My cousin, whom I share my tickets with, has ALREADY SAID NO, Barring Any Last Second Changes-of-Heart by the SOX regarding
Taking the HandCuffs off of themselves and Acknowledge that were in the 3rd Largest market in the USA

ewokpelts
12-15-2003, 02:36 PM
I re-upped, but I'm going to the upper deck. Not too happy with the ticket prices going up.
Gene

npdempse
12-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Didn't re-up. If they make some drastic changes, I may buy a plan, but I'm not wedded to my particular seats.

Dadawg_77
12-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Didn't reup, lousy managment, prices going up and just a overall feeling this team will go no where is what caused it,

duke of dorwood
12-15-2003, 03:01 PM
And right now they can stick $oxfest up their butt too

Kilroy
12-15-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Good for you, Kilroy. Season tickets in baseball are a big committment in money and time.

Just out of interest, how many of the 81 games do you usually attend?

I start out at 27, then a few more get added here and there. If any big ones come up, or we add on a fireworks nite for the kids if we don't have one, and Elvis night or maybe an extra tilt vs the Cubs...

ChiSoxBobette
12-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I just got off the phone after paying my deposit for my seats. I have admit, I thought long and hard about whether I was going to do it or not.

My wife said that we should skip it because they are even listening to offers for Maggs. I may have to tie her down for a month or so if he gets traded.

I was hesitant because I didn't think we're being agressive enuf this off season, but after looking at it, I think that with the players we have right now, along with some additions (hopefully), the Sox should be able to compete. And I decided take a chance on seeing Ozzie eliminate corpseball from the south-side.

So I made the call and laid out the cash. I'm not gonna say anything like "this is their last chance w/ me" or any of that stuff. But I will say that its no longer the automatic purchase it used to be...

I also put my down payment down on my tickets thinking theres no way after last year and how the scrubs stole all of the headlines that Reinsdorf would'nt do anything, but after watching all of the free agent signings over the weekend and seeing how we lost Colon, Everett and not even attempting to try and bring back Alomar I was almost thinking that loosing my deposit might not be a bad lose especially seeing all the holes this team just let get bigger, last night they let Tony G go to the Royals.
I think Reinsdorf time owning this team is finished he only wants to win if he can do it by spending as little money as possible and our team just does'nt have the minor league system to do that.

Kilroy
12-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I also put my down payment down on my tickets thinking theres no way after last year and how the scrubs stole all of the headlines that Reinsdorf would'nt do anything...

My opinion is that Everett and Alomar wouldn't be worth the money at their ages. Colon was worth tryng to resign, but ultimately not worth the money he got.

I liked Tony G, but I dont think he was a make or break player for us. Nice to have around, but I wouldn't have considered him a priority when trying to put my team together for next year. If he was still there after I made my big moves, then I'd have him back in a second.

The only guy I'm really upset we let go was Gordon. I think he'd have been worth what the Yanks got him for, and we definitely needed him.

Hopefully the Ponson rumor is true.

As for JR, one thing we can always count on is that he won't act in a reactionary way. That's the kind of thing you can do when you have a fat-ass cache of cash, which we know the Sox don't...

DSpivack
12-15-2003, 06:08 PM
My opinion is that Everett and Alomar wouldn't be worth the money at their ages.

Alomar I agree with, but Everett was signed by the freaking Expos. 2 yrs, $7 mil? That is very affordable considering his production last year. As we saw, he seemed to be the only one who didn't lay down going down the stretch.

Apparently we're cheaper than Montreal now.

Whoop.

Dee.

Doo.

kempsted
12-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Alomar I agree with, but Everett was signed by the freaking Expos. 2 yrs, $7 mil? That is very affordable considering his production last year. As we saw, he seemed to be the only one who didn't lay down going down the stretch.

Whoop.

Dee.

Doo.
This is what most people on this board are missing. The Expos got him for 2 years $7 million. We would not have. THat is a pay cut for him. He made 9 million last year. If he went for arbitration he would have gotten at least 9 million.

This is way almost everyone failed to sign their own free agents. The market is falling so the guys on your roster most likely are making more then their value on the open market. They only thing to do is let them go and sign the equivalent player for less.

Another question for all of you - Where is this Everett love from all of a sudden. Most of the posts about him were negative last year ... oh yeah last year he was on the Sox - after he is gone he is great.

Hangar18
12-16-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
This is what most people on this board are missing. The Expos got him for 2 years $7 million. We would not have. THat is a pay cut for him. He made 9 million last year. If he went for arbitration he would have gotten at least 9 million.

This is way almost everyone failed to sign their own free agents. The market is falling so the guys on your roster most likely are making more then their value on the open market. They only thing to do is let them go and sign the equivalent player for less.

Another question for all of you - Where is this Everett love from all of a sudden. Most of the posts about him were negative last year ... oh yeah last year he was on the Sox - after he is gone he is great.

Kempsted, Very good point about players having to NOT be offered Arbitration in order for Prices to come down, at the expense of the original team. Your right, lots of guys are leaving and going to other teams "cheaper". But ............
I was one of the Everett Critics, but the guy slowly warmed up
to me. The guy played Hard every out, and I didnt see that
in most of the players, a direct reflection on Manuel. A lot
of People warmed up to him once he showed his true colors.

Brian26
12-16-2003, 09:15 AM
I agree, but who thought the Marlins could compete? Not saying we'll go to the series, but there's a reason they actually play the games. The best team on paper isn't always the best team on the field...

Agreed. Were the White Sox supposed to compete in 2000? Not really. They certainly weren't expected to have the best record in the American League.

Kilroy
12-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack

Whoop.

Dee.

Doo.

Sorry, but IMO, adding Everett back to the Sox would just add to the problems they already have. Sure, we loved his grit and attitude, but he's no everyday CF, for starters. He's not as good as either of our corner outfielders at the moment, so replacing one of them w/ him is a step down. And he doesn't add speed on the bases, even tho he probably will add smarts. On a team w/ Konerko, and Thomas, Everett is the 3rd DH on the roster.

Sorry, but I disagree that spending 7 mil for the guy would be worth it. The Sox need some speed. Everett and Alomar do not qualify.